Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:30 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
 Who is reloading tonight? 
Author Message
User avatar

Location: The Wet Side
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018
Posts: 269
Learned a valuable lesson tonight loading .30-06 for only the second time. I had my seating die set just a hair too low. All of my cases were under the max length of 2.494" but they weren't all perfectly even. Some were as tall as 2.493" and others had been trimmed back ten thou. Since I was not seating to the cannelure, a couple of the longer ones caught taper crimp feature and got crunched at the shoulders.

I did not notice this until I did a couple where I felt the press lightly cam over which it should never do while seating. See photo 1. You can see the obvious deformation. Oops!

Where it got less fun is that after that I examined all the rest of them and some I spotted and others I couldn't really tell. Thankfully this was only 20 rounds into a ladder of 50. Some of them it wasn't obvious because, plot twist, FN49s have a chamfered chamber. It leaves a little shoulder on your shoulder that doesn't come out in full length sizing and visually clutters the shoulder so if you had just a tiny bit of crunching you might not spot it. Processed and distinctly un-crunched FN49 brass in picture two.

Having not an ammo checker I then plunk tested all of them in the gun (with no bolt) and found 15 rejects. Oops! I adjusted the die and carried on, and when I was done I looped back and transloaded the offenders into fresh cases. Glad I had some extras prepped.

After plunk testing a final total of 65 rounds awkwardly in a ten pound rifle you can bet I ordered an ammo checker. They don't exactly grow on trees in this market but EGW has some in stock.

Glad I took a cautious approach to these, some of them would have been a sure jam but others would have chambered and potentially been a big problem. I turned one of the crunched cases into a dummy round to prominently display on my bench as a reminder. Looking forward to firing then tomorrow.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:23 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Skagit County, in the woods
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 718
Sinus211 wrote:
Had a frustrating day loading 10mm again. My 180gr loads are shaping up nicely but 155gr hollowpoints are giving me grief. Poor neck tension and way too easy to setback both with a taper crimp and factory crimp die.

.395 inner case diameter and mostly .400 projectile diameter on the Montana gold projectiles so I’m not understanding the problem. Saw some disappointing inconsistencies with hornady xtp projectile diameter but that’s another story entirely.

Madpick was kind enough to lend me his ear for a while and with his advice I ended up ordering a Lee undersized sizing die. I’d rather not have to use something like that but with 10mm already running high pressure bullet setback isn’t something I want to mess with.

Fucking 10mm!!!! :frust:


It's not the 10mm that's the problem, it's the stupid Lee "factory crimp die" that uses a carbide ring to sized down the entire case with bullet inside it. Guess what, the case springs back more than the bullet, so you lose neck tension. Get rid of the factory crimp die and your problem will go away. If you're doing the rest of the stages correctly there's no reason for the FCD anyway, although replacing it with a standard crimp die is useful.


Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:28 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 45256
Real Name: Steve
Bilgetroll wrote:
Learned a valuable lesson tonight loading .30-06 for only the second time....


Great post! Yeah, I've destroyed some rifle brass doing the same thing. :facepalm2:

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:31 am
Profile
User avatar

Location: The Wet Side
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018
Posts: 269
MadPick wrote:
Bilgetroll wrote:
Learned a valuable lesson tonight loading .30-06 for only the second time....


Great post! Yeah, I've destroyed some rifle brass doing the same thing. :facepalm2:


Thanks. So far most of my reloading has been 7x64 with Lee dies that don't have a taper crimp feature (because you're supposed to use the FCD, which I do) so although I read the RCBS die instructions I don't think I internalized just how critical it was to keep that crimp feature far away from my case mouths.


Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:40 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Everson, WA
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 23518
Real Name: Schlongie Balsac
Yondering wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Had a frustrating day loading 10mm again. My 180gr loads are shaping up nicely but 155gr hollowpoints are giving me grief. Poor neck tension and way too easy to setback both with a taper crimp and factory crimp die.

.395 inner case diameter and mostly .400 projectile diameter on the Montana gold projectiles so I’m not understanding the problem. Saw some disappointing inconsistencies with hornady xtp projectile diameter but that’s another story entirely.

Madpick was kind enough to lend me his ear for a while and with his advice I ended up ordering a Lee undersized sizing die. I’d rather not have to use something like that but with 10mm already running high pressure bullet setback isn’t something I want to mess with.

Fucking 10mm!!!! :frust:


It's not the 10mm that's the problem, it's the stupid Lee "factory crimp die" that uses a carbide ring to sized down the entire case with bullet inside it. Guess what, the case springs back more than the bullet, so you lose neck tension. Get rid of the factory crimp die and your problem will go away. If you're doing the rest of the stages correctly there's no reason for the FCD anyway, although replacing it with a standard crimp die is useful.


Standard crimp on 10MM?

_________________
I'm not that kind of girl


Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:57 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Skagit County, in the woods
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 718
Pablo wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Had a frustrating day loading 10mm again. My 180gr loads are shaping up nicely but 155gr hollowpoints are giving me grief. Poor neck tension and way too easy to setback both with a taper crimp and factory crimp die.

.395 inner case diameter and mostly .400 projectile diameter on the Montana gold projectiles so I’m not understanding the problem. Saw some disappointing inconsistencies with hornady xtp projectile diameter but that’s another story entirely.

Madpick was kind enough to lend me his ear for a while and with his advice I ended up ordering a Lee undersized sizing die. I’d rather not have to use something like that but with 10mm already running high pressure bullet setback isn’t something I want to mess with.

Fucking 10mm!!!! :frust:


It's not the 10mm that's the problem, it's the stupid Lee "factory crimp die" that uses a carbide ring to sized down the entire case with bullet inside it. Guess what, the case springs back more than the bullet, so you lose neck tension. Get rid of the factory crimp die and your problem will go away. If you're doing the rest of the stages correctly there's no reason for the FCD anyway, although replacing it with a standard crimp die is useful.


Standard crimp on 10MM?


Meaning taper crimp; should've been more specific. A standard crimp die (usually just another seating die) would be a taper crimp for the 10mm.
I don't recommend much crimp at all though. Just enough to remove the case flare is all you need. The resistance to seating deeper comes from neck tension and the "wasp waist" where the case is narrower behind the bullet (which most sizing dies will cause) much more so than the crimp.

Magnum revolver rounds are different where a heavy roll crimp can be necessary to keep the bullet from moving forward, but in a semi auto we're concerned with the other direction, set back, and a taper crimp doesn't do a whole lot for that.


Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:59 pm
Profile
Site Moderator
User avatar
Site Moderator

Location: Marysville
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012
Posts: 12084
Real Name: Mike
Yondering wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Had a frustrating day loading 10mm again. My 180gr loads are shaping up nicely but 155gr hollowpoints are giving me grief. Poor neck tension and way too easy to setback both with a taper crimp and factory crimp die.

.395 inner case diameter and mostly .400 projectile diameter on the Montana gold projectiles so I’m not understanding the problem. Saw some disappointing inconsistencies with hornady xtp projectile diameter but that’s another story entirely.

Madpick was kind enough to lend me his ear for a while and with his advice I ended up ordering a Lee undersized sizing die. I’d rather not have to use something like that but with 10mm already running high pressure bullet setback isn’t something I want to mess with.

Fucking 10mm!!!! :frust:


It's not the 10mm that's the problem, it's the stupid Lee "factory crimp die" that uses a carbide ring to sized down the entire case with bullet inside it. Guess what, the case springs back more than the bullet, so you lose neck tension. Get rid of the factory crimp die and your problem will go away. If you're doing the rest of the stages correctly there's no reason for the FCD anyway, although replacing it with a standard crimp die is useful.


Standard crimp on 10MM?


Meaning taper crimp; should've been more specific. A standard crimp die (usually just another seating die) would be a taper crimp for the 10mm.
I don't recommend much crimp at all though. Just enough to remove the case flare is all you need. The resistance to seating deeper comes from neck tension and the "wasp waist" where the case is narrower behind the bullet (which most sizing dies will cause) much more so than the crimp.

Magnum revolver rounds are different where a heavy roll crimp can be necessary to keep the bullet from moving forward, but in a semi auto we're concerned with the other direction, set back, and a taper crimp doesn't do a whole lot for that.

I played around with both the taper crimp die and the Lee fcd and experienced poor tension and easy setback with both. On Pablo and Madpick’s advice I ordered an undersized sizing did that solved the setback issue.

It’s strange that the issue was so significant with the lighter projectiles when I had no problems with my 180gr rnfp loads.

_________________
Licensed/Bonded/Insured Hardwood Floor Installer/Finisher http://www.hardwoodfloorsnw.com/


Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:55 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Skagit County, in the woods
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 718
Sinus211 wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Had a frustrating day loading 10mm again. My 180gr loads are shaping up nicely but 155gr hollowpoints are giving me grief. Poor neck tension and way too easy to setback both with a taper crimp and factory crimp die.

.395 inner case diameter and mostly .400 projectile diameter on the Montana gold projectiles so I’m not understanding the problem. Saw some disappointing inconsistencies with hornady xtp projectile diameter but that’s another story entirely.

Madpick was kind enough to lend me his ear for a while and with his advice I ended up ordering a Lee undersized sizing die. I’d rather not have to use something like that but with 10mm already running high pressure bullet setback isn’t something I want to mess with.

Fucking 10mm!!!! :frust:


It's not the 10mm that's the problem, it's the stupid Lee "factory crimp die" that uses a carbide ring to sized down the entire case with bullet inside it. Guess what, the case springs back more than the bullet, so you lose neck tension. Get rid of the factory crimp die and your problem will go away. If you're doing the rest of the stages correctly there's no reason for the FCD anyway, although replacing it with a standard crimp die is useful.


Standard crimp on 10MM?


Meaning taper crimp; should've been more specific. A standard crimp die (usually just another seating die) would be a taper crimp for the 10mm.
I don't recommend much crimp at all though. Just enough to remove the case flare is all you need. The resistance to seating deeper comes from neck tension and the "wasp waist" where the case is narrower behind the bullet (which most sizing dies will cause) much more so than the crimp.

Magnum revolver rounds are different where a heavy roll crimp can be necessary to keep the bullet from moving forward, but in a semi auto we're concerned with the other direction, set back, and a taper crimp doesn't do a whole lot for that.

I played around with both the taper crimp die and the Lee fcd and experienced poor tension and easy setback with both. On Pablo and Madpick’s advice I ordered an undersized sizing did that solved the setback issue.

It’s strange that the issue was so significant with the lighter projectiles when I had no problems with my 180gr rnfp loads.


Something's screwy about that. You said sized case ID was .395", which is plenty of neck tension for a .400" bullet. The only way to mess up the neck tension at that point is to use an oversized neck expander, seat the bullet really crooked, or mess up the crimp (either way too much with a taper crimp or use a Lee FCD).

Simply seating your bullets in that .395" case and doing nothing else should have no setback issues at all, so how did an undersized die fix it? Did you also change something else about your process at the same time?


Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:05 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tumwater, WA
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014
Posts: 638
Real Name: Tim
Finally finished loading up the last of the 1,000-45acp, and 1,500-9mm projectiles last night (that I'd gotten last month). :thumbsup2:


Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: In my Cave
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 4575
Real Name: Jim Sr.
I finally finished swaging the last 650+ of 1,160 LC 5.56 cases. They were cleaned twice, once before resizing, resized and swaged then cleaned again. I think I’ll wait a while before I trim em up... Got fishin on the brain nowadays....

_________________
"You are either with us...as Americans. Or, You are against us. There is no IN BETWEEN." ???

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:


Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: In my Cave
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 4575
Real Name: Jim Sr.
I found a box of 400) 300BLK cases, not converts!!! They were marked resized (checked out), trimmed (checked out) but I just wanted to get them a little bit more shiny so into the corncob media they went!!! So purty!!!
This is about half of them.

Attachment:
35588C3C-E2EF-4D35-B311-56D8647E8D24.jpeg


I’m going to load them with 155g BTHP’s for HD like the last 400 I loaded last year.

Attachment:
7E7521E1-5C9B-435D-97D9-A46448CFEE0E.jpeg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
"You are either with us...as Americans. Or, You are against us. There is no IN BETWEEN." ???

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:


Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:41 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Oakville
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012
Posts: 1491
Real Name: Thomas Brewster
Caveman Jim wrote:
I found a box of 400) 300BLK cases, not converts!!! They were marked resized (checked out), trimmed (checked out) but I just wanted to get them a little bit more shiny so into the corncob media they went!!! So purty!!!
This is about half of them.

Attachment:
35588C3C-E2EF-4D35-B311-56D8647E8D24.jpeg


I’m going to load them with 155g BTHP’s for HD like the last 400 I loaded last year.

Attachment:
7E7521E1-5C9B-435D-97D9-A46448CFEE0E.jpeg
Those are the same bullets I’ve been loading in my 300 blk.


Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:51 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: In my Cave
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 4575
Real Name: Jim Sr.
Tombrewster421 wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
I found a box of 400) 300BLK cases, not converts!!! They were marked resized (checked out), trimmed (checked out) but I just wanted to get them a little bit more shiny so into the corncob media they went!!! So purty!!!
This is about half of them.

Attachment:
35588C3C-E2EF-4D35-B311-56D8647E8D24.jpeg


I’m going to load them with 155g BTHP’s for HD like the last 400 I loaded last year.

Attachment:
7E7521E1-5C9B-435D-97D9-A46448CFEE0E.jpeg
Those are the same bullets I’ve been loading in my 300 blk.


I lucked out finding them on sale a few years ago at Sportsman’s in Kelso. I’ll be looking for more soon.
They shoot very well in my10.5” pistol.

_________________
"You are either with us...as Americans. Or, You are against us. There is no IN BETWEEN." ???

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:


Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 45256
Real Name: Steve
Caveman Jim wrote:
I found a box of 400 300BLK cases . . . I’m going to load them with 155g BTHP’s for HD like the last 400 I loaded last year.


Um, exactly how much home defense do you do? icon_eek

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:18 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: In my Cave
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 4575
Real Name: Jim Sr.
MadPick wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
I found a box of 400 300BLK cases . . . I’m going to load them with 155g BTHP’s for HD like the last 400 I loaded last year.


Um, exactly how much home defense do you do? icon_eek


I like to have all my magazines filled up… I’m gonna be Ready Freddie just in case… :wink05:

_________________
"You are either with us...as Americans. Or, You are against us. There is no IN BETWEEN." ???

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:


Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 1.043s | 17 Queries | GZIP : Off ]