Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 bench idea 
FFL / Dealer

I have an idea for a reloading bench. I am just getting started rolling my own I think I am going to have a single 4x8 bench with a divider in the middle that would have peg board deviding it. the reason for the two sides is 1 side would house presses and all things dry and not powered the other side would be case prep, so wet tumbler case trimmer unprocessed brass ext. I tend to over think and over build what does the hive think of this idea? I basicallty have a single car garage area to work with. ( will keep powder in the house climate controled.)

Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm struggling with the concept of a physical divider between the two halves. Yes, maybe it would allow you to hang some tools there, but I feel like the wall would be a real pain in the butt, in that it won't allow you to work across that line.

For example, perhaps the first side has enough space for your press. But when you're reloading, you're also going to be using a powder scale, using space to reload primers, you'll have a jug of powder on the bench, etc. -- all things that are temporary. So it would be helpful, in my opinion, to be able to slide your tumblers, etc. to the side and "borrow" some of that space during the reloading process.

And likewise, if you are tumbling but not loading, you may want a little extra space for brass containers, etc.

So . . . my thought is that you're better off without a wall in the middle of the bench.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

encumbering the middle of a single stall garage seems less than ideal, when wall space above the work area can house items needed for a particular task close at hand.

While the CL item in the link below is pricey, I've wondered the utility of repurposed kitchen or shop equipment for such tasks.
I also wonder if a top for presses could be set on top of such a fixture and slid to one side, or hoisted above (ceiling height restrictions?) to access the plumbed sink below. Obviously drainage of solvents and waste wouldn't be plumbed to sanitary sewer.

https://yakima.craigslist.org/app/d/yak ... 25781.html

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 4x6 work table on casters. No center divider. In my shop in Tacoma I also had a 2’ deep workbench along the back wall with pegboard over it to hang tools on

Since I moved it’s in the carport of the house I’m renovating. I roll it out onto the driveway to work since there’s no lights in the carport

I’d say put pegboard on the wall. Park the bench under it and roll it out if you need to. The divider isn’t such a bad idea though. When I could leave stuff on mine it tended to get a divider of supplies down the middle

Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:52 am
FFL / Dealer

My reasoning behind the devider was my press /loading side would not need power nor would I want water or brass shavings( cutting 223 iint 300 bo).I think at 2 foot x 8 foot on each side it would leave me plenty of room (maybe) Framing the divider with a 2x6 frame would build a kind of cabinet i could add shelves to . You all bring up good points though. i need to finish the shed then i can reclaim the gfarage ! thank you.
The stainless sink looked cool but i would probably end up cutting the front out of the sinks to use as open storage but looks like more work than i want.

Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scott, I think you are on the right track.

I have my loading and processing setups segregated. I load in my bat cave on a 2x4' table anchored to the wall for stability. I have an electronic powder measure, Lee powder dispenser, single stage machine, and Dillon 550B set up there and its a little cramped. In the garage I have part of my work bench set aside for my vice for building guns, Lee APP for depriming/sizing, Frankfort prep center, and wet tumbler underneath the bench.

With your 2x8' bench I would lean more 60/40 weighted toward loading area. Having a divider wouldn't be bad to keep brass chips from cutting/sizing getting all over is a good idea. I would recommend keeping it on the smaller size so it is easier to work around. I would keep and run the tumbler under your bench in case of leaks.

Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you weren’t going to hang tools from it, you could perhaps make it a removable divider.

Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two separate work areas in my shop. The back is 24 x 30 that I do all my dirty work like woodworking, brass cleaning, storage and prep work. Most is on a 4’x8’x2” solid core door that’s also an out feed for my big table saw.
I built a 10x12’ room for all my reloading/gun building and maintenance that stays between 58-65*.

Dirty room

Attachment:
0C851929-20C4-4A0F-B9D9-39EC5A797455.jpeg

Clean room

Attachment:
F10EE86A-789A-491A-BBC2-D6D7204C9C87.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:47 am

You are thinking way to big for a beginner. I have a dedicated small room outside under my roof where I had to put my clothes dryer. All you really need is one of those fold up adjustable benches to mount your press on. Many guys get along fine just using an old heavy desk in one of their rooms. If you are storing much powder you will need a fire rated storage container. I use a WW2 era galvanized military grain container I just dont latch the cam locks.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

hartcreek wrote:
All you really need is one of those fold up adjustable benches to mount your press on.

Yes, that will work -- I had my press on one for a couple of years when I lived in an apartment. Will it work really well? No.

If you have the ability to do so, I would use a rock-solid bench for the press. It will make reloading easier.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:56 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
hartcreek wrote:
All you really need is one of those fold up adjustable benches to mount your press on.

Yes, that will work -- I had my press on one for a couple of years when I lived in an apartment. Will it work really well? No.

If you have the ability to do so, I would use a rock-solid bench for the press. It will make reloading easier.

:yes:

I have an old 400lbs+ office desk for my reloading bench. The last thing you want is a wiggly bench when you’re really having to work your press.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:59 am
FFL / Dealer

Caveman Jim wrote:
I have two separate work areas in my shop. The back is 24 x 30 that I do all my dirty work like woodworking, brass cleaning, storage and prep work. Most is on a 4’x8’x2” solid core door that’s also an out feed for my big table saw.
I built a 10x12’ room for all my reloading/gun building and maintenance that stays between 58-65*.

Dirty room

Attachment:
0C851929-20C4-4A0F-B9D9-39EC5A797455.jpeg

Clean room

Attachment:
F10EE86A-789A-491A-BBC2-D6D7204C9C87.jpeg

Caveman has the idea !! For those that dont know I am an FFL and SOT I also do cerakote and the ocasional build. While I am new to reloading I have set myself up to jump in deep. I am building a new shed for all the non gun, non garagey crap ( bikes mowers ext). I have 3 garage bays to work with cerakote, sandblaster, any messy crap will happen on the big two bay side of the shop. and one bay will be strictly building clean room assembly reloading. I think I will have all the sorting tumbling ext on the dirty side and just stop trying to share 1 bench for clean and dirty. My crappy benches can stay on the dirty side and i can build a new super solid bench I am looking at alot of those t tracks set ups on amazon that would make it very versitile.
I appreciate all of the input and help my shed is going to get done in (hopefully)september ( waiting on a permit) then i can evaluate the space better and lay out what works

Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:31 pm
FFL / Dealer

Well I did it kinda ish I think I like the results so far ish ...
I added T track on the main part of the reloading side, the gun building/ assembling side is still in design phase more T track will go on the L shaped piece for my vice, anvil, and gun vice to swap out. so far im digging it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Needs a visual barrier against the street.

Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:01 pm
FFL / Dealer

SporkBoy wrote:
Needs a visual barrier against the street.

Naw I am an FFL so if people see me doing gun stuff i can write it all of as advertising LOL

Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next