Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wet Tumble Brass question 
Site Admin
Site Admin

umrek wrote:
I noticed elevated primer cup separation after I went to wet tumbling prior to depriming. Mainly with 38/357...maybe 15 per 2k. The benefits of wet tumbling far outweigh the few hassles of separation though. I read in some dillon literature that wet tumbling causes this... seems confirmed by my experience.

Welcome to WaGuns!

I completely agree with you. Now that I wet tumble, I'm starting to see occasional primer separation . . . but it's not a big deal, and definitely not enough for me to consider changing my process.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is why!

On an unrelated note, a few months ago I started depriming everything prior to wet tumbling. It was because I like how much prettier the brass is [emoji16] and to eliminate primers possibly retaining moisture and passing the moisture on to the new primer. It's a bit of a pain but the FA hand deprimer works great so if I watch TV in the evening I will deprime a bunch of brass.

Just another reason to reinforce my determination to deprime all brass prior to wet tumbling.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this is an old post, figured give it new life.
I pick up range brass and once I get a five gallon bucket full I separate it, knock out the primers with a Lee Universal decapping Die.
I have a single stage Hornady Lock-N-Load press, I have three vibrator tumblers, a wet tumbler and a sonic cleaner. after depriming I tumble the brass in walnut media.
Depending how it looks I might wet tumble it, or tumble it in clean media.
One tumble has dirty media, one has clean
Walnut media, and one has clean corncob media.

About a month ago I bought some used 222 Remington brass that was shabby looking after I tumbled it in walnut.
I wiped it down with Brasso and tumbled it in Corncob.
That came out the best I have ever done..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by DoveRelease on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
I just like dealing with spotless brass. But I am different than some reloaders. My brass cleaning is a totally separate (somewhat dirty) process. I have a separate universal diprimer die and press. I then clean, dry and bag large quantities of spotless brass. Put it in storage, and always have mucho on hand, for the separate reloading process - I usually just keep the deprimer pin in to assure the flash hole is clear.

I agree, although I don't wet tumble but I deprime, clean the primer pockets and tumble before any brass touches my Progressive loader. It's just me, I'm anal this way wanting to start with pristine brass.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Pablo wrote:
better to pop the primers out first. Reason: One huge benefit of wet tumbling is clean primer pockets. Seems senseless to by-pass this benefit.

I'm going to disagree with this portion of your post.

Yes, clean primer pockets are nice but let's face it, nobody really cares once the new primer is in place. :bigsmile: Plus, I don't think they'll have ANY effect on pistol accuracy.

For me, it's just not worth the hassle to run the cases through the progressive press twice, just to get clean primer pockets.

For rifle, my process is:

- Minimal (30 minutes?) tumble in corncob, to get the major crud off.
- Lube, size and deprime.
- Wet tumble so that everything is lube-free, shiny and beautiful . . . including the primer pockets.
- Swage primer pockets and trim, if needed.
- Load.

But for pistol brass . . . meh. Since I'm using a progressive press, I never actually *see* the dirty primer pockets, and I don't care.

For pistol, perhaps dirty pockets are acceptable. However, leaking primers are never acceptable in my book and dirty primer pockets can lead ot all kinds of issues. Improperly seated primers, uneven ignition, leaks, etc.

I shoot very little pistol anymore with my focus on precision rifle, Long Range. This often requires loads that are quite high in pressure. High enough that small primer pocket brass is required to keep pockets from both leaking and stretching. Clean pockets are essential.

One argument for clean primer pockets in all firearms is the primer pocket size after a few firings. I use a "Go-No Go" gauge on all my fired brass after cleaning but before loading. Those cases (pistol or rifle) that allow the no-go end of the gauge to enter the pocket are immediately tossed. Cuts down on damage to bolt faces and excessive soot in your face if shooting a pistol.

Just saying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

umrek wrote:
I noticed elevated primer cup separation after I went to wet tumbling prior to depriming. Mainly with 38/357...maybe 15 per 2k. The benefits of wet tumbling far outweigh the few hassles of separation though. I read in some dillon literature that wet tumbling causes this... seems confirmed by my experience.

Welcome to :wagwoot:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far no problems yet from surgically clean primer pockets. But I get it, there is a line of what works and analness. I probably just don't know enough, well enough to push limits, so I blindly keep brass clean. As stated several times it is easy for me because I treat brass cleaning as whole different process. I essentially stock clean brass in ready to size and load condition.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm

deadshot2 wrote:
I use a Frankford Arsenal Hand De-Priming tool that collects all the schmutz that falls out when a primer is removed. I can sit on my butt watching TV and de-prime a couple hundred cases in an evening. Once cleaned in the SS Pins and soapy water it's then just like working with brass fresh from the box.

IMO, this is the best advice given. This is what I do as well. Punching the primers out first allows you to toss EVERYTHING in the wet tumbler. After they are all clean and pristine (mine always turn out to look as shiny as gold...bright as hell, and clean as a whistle)

The next good thing about doing it in this fashion and method is that you can then see any imperfections very easily. If there are any cracks, split mouths, burrs left in the primer flash holes, maybe someone previous to you picking up that range brass beveled the flash hole, etc....you can easily see these types of imperfections and segregate them out. It is more challenging to see these imperfections if they are dirty and heavily set with soot. You need them cleaned in order to be able to see these imperfections clearly and unobstructed.

For me, I always deprime with my Frankford Arsenal handheld deprimer, and then wet tumble them in bulk. After they've been wet tumbled, I carefully inspect, and only then do I proceed to brass prep.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:07 am

MadPick wrote:
For rifle, my process is:

- Minimal (30 minutes?) tumble in corncob, to get the major crud off.
- Lube, size and deprime.
- Wet tumble so that everything is lube-free, shiny and beautiful . . . including the primer pockets.
- Swage primer pockets and trim, if needed.
- Load.

We can all agree that wet tumbling with steel pins is the ultimate way of cleaning brass, right? That wet tumbling gets it super clean. That being said, I would highly recommend not dry tumbling rifle brass, and then resizing with my dies. Dry tumbling is bound to leave impurities in and around the brass. I use very expensive match grade dies. The last thing we want in our dies is dirt, grime, grease with bits of brass or dirt, etc. Introducing dirty brass that is not 100% clean as a whistle, can mar the finish of the inside of the die. That can score your rifle brass, which in turn could score the chamber of your rifle.

The die is such a finely tuned tool of precision, that I always strive to keep my dies clean, lubed, and clean. Even when my dies are cleaned, I make sure to clean them again before I start my brass prep. I never introduce dirty substances in my dies.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Here is an article by Redding to help you with understanding why keeping your dies clean, is an ABSOLUTE MUST.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/tech- ... -and-cures

You may be fine for blaster ammo. But if brass weld build-up occurs, it could just get worse and worse. For my match-grade cartridges, I strive to make sure that everything is absolutely perfectly clean, pristine, uniform, sorted, etc.

I know I'm getting off point of wet tumbling. But I just want to stress the importance of thinking about all of these things, and how they translate into the final product, and groupings on our paper targets.

As for dry tumblers, I used to own and use one. For cleaning...they're garbage in my book. I clean with a wet tumbler. To polish brass, the dry tumbler would be great for that. But polishing is just to make brass pretty. Wet tumbling makes my brass like gold and pretty enough for me.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jimmeh wrote:

As for dry tumblers, I used to own and use one. For cleaning...they're garbage in my book. I clean with a wet tumbler.

I wrote essentially the same thing in this or another thread. Kinda angered some people, but your posts make the point. For plinking pistol ammo, ok fine, and yes carbide dies help. I never even started with a dry tumbler. Just seems like a space waster. If a person, de-primes and wet tumbles as a separate operation, it's a no brainer to me.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Jimmeh wrote:

As for dry tumblers, I used to own and use one. For cleaning...they're garbage in my book. I clean with a wet tumbler.

I wrote essentially the same thing in this or another thread. Kinda angered some people, but your posts make the point. For plinking pistol ammo, ok fine, and yes carbide dies help. I never even started with a dry tumbler. Just seems like a space waster. If a person, de-primes and wet tumbles as a separate operation, it's a no brainer to me.

I wouldn't exactly say that dry tumblers/vibrators are garbage, they just don't do as complete a job.

They also do present an environmental hazard (in your house especially) and that is DUST. Between the corncob that breaks down and the residue from primer compound (often containing lead) and powder, you need to be careful to keep kids and pets away from the area . If cleaning up with a Vacuum Cleaner it should be equipped with a HEPA filter. Now this is the IDEAL way to deal with the dusty process if you "vibrate" inside your home. Doing it in the garage/shop/shed isn't as big a human hazard.

With the wet process all the bad stuff just flows down the drain and doesn't migrate into the air.

FWIW this may never be an issue to you but if someday you are selling your house, and the prospective buyer finds out you were a hand loader, they might have their home inspector check for lead using one of the inexpensive kits available just about everywhere. THAT's when the issue rears it's ugly head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 am

Great point on the dust, deadshot!

Way back when, I lived in a super small condo in downtown Bellevue. So I had to vibratory clean in my bathroom. The bathroom got dust everywhere. Then I would just vibratory clean outside so the dust floated off in the breeze.

I would never go back to vibratory cleaning ever again. Wet tumbling is faster, cleaner to handle, and simpler to prep for the process.

Love this thread. Love talking about this sort of thing with like-minded fellas.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does any one use brasso to clean the brass?

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2