Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:08 pm

Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next
 Who is reloading tonight? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DoveRelease wrote:
How many steps is it to neck them down to 22tcm?

I bought a Smith & Wesson 22 RemJet revolver a few years ago which is 357 necked down to 22. To make the cases they had to be annealed and it took like two dies then the 22 RemJet die and then fire formed.
I sold the gun then I picked up a T/C Contender with a 22 RemJet barrel. I gave it to my oldest son and he sat on it for awhile. I found two old boxes of reloaded 22 RemJet ammo up to Kessilrings for $50 so I bought them and sent them to him.
He still hasn't knocked them apart and reload them with new powder & primers.

I'm muscling through it all at once, seems to work okay. I've got about 300 cases of .22tcm headstamped that is working well and I'm starting on cartridge conversions with about 30 cases and will build up once I find the right headstamp.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm

It sucks having primers land on the floor. I have carpeting in my gun room and have to dig them out of the carpet when they miss the primer catcher.

It looks like the 2x12 might have some spring when resizing.
When we put my bench together I put down 5/8" and then a piece of 1" finished plywood down on the frame work and then I put 2x12 lumber in between the frame work under the plywood. An elephant could sit on this bench and not flex.

You will see when you start resizing larger rifle cases. It's all trial & error to see what works for you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 pm

What headstamps are you useing to convert to 22tcm. I probably have some if it is 223/5.56 brass.

I resized a hundred 243 Winchester brass tonight. I have an old Remington 788 in 243 I use for deer hunting back in New York and Pennsylvania and I just bought an H&R single shot 243 with a 308 barrel that I want to start shooting to use again next deer season back East. Last year, this past November I used a 30/06 Browning semi auto I got a few years ago. The year before I took back my stainless 357 magnum Ruger model 77.

Here is the 9mm AMMOLOAD head stamp with the internal step in the case.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, those AMMOLOAD cases are just nasty ... and they have a few siblings, too.

Here’s an earlier thread on that topic:
/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=32729

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Good progress there, Ron!

A couple of questions:

- How solid is the press mount? Does it flex much when you size the brass?
- I'm hoping that there's a way to catch the spent primers with that press . . . ? Or is having them fall on the floor the only option?

I did notice while de-priming all that brass that the set up had a very slight flex. I didn't know that would be an issue. Sounds like it will be? I figured I could use that big C clamp on the peg board in the background of the picture to lock down the front of the platform if it is recommended. It didn't seem to matter much for the de-priming process. The two bolts securing the platform now are both in the back of the set up. I could actually add a couple more bolts to the front and it may be better secured and less cumbersome than the C clamps. If I bolted the front of the platform it would be solid as a rock.

So I'm gathering that flex in the platform the press is mounted on can cause issues when sizing/shaping the brass?

The Rockchucker Supreme does have a primer catcher but it is about 30% effective. A bunch of it that doesn't make it into the catcher just piles up around the ram and surrounding press area. The rest just pops out in random fashion to be plucked off the garage floor afterwards. I've seen some innovative contraptions offered on the interwebs to upgrade the primer catching system of the Rockchucker Supreme. I may have to look in to buying one of them.

Question about the spent primers. I collected them all up in a baggie afterwards. I can just huck them in the trash correct?

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, you were just depriming . . . yeah, you said that but my brain interpreted it as "resizing."

Yeah, generally flex in the press is a bad thing, but I'm not saying that you have a problem there. Stiffen it up as much as you can, though, to make life easier for yourself. If you can just add two more bolts to make it stiffer, I'd do it.

As for those spent primers, ugh, that sounds like a PITA. But yes, once you find them all :bigsmile: , I'd put them either in brass recycling (if you're keeping a collection . . . which you should) or in the trash.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Pablo wrote:
thefuryoffire wrote:
DoveRelease wrote:
For $50 A SET ILL STICK WITH THE HAMMER FOR THE OCCASIONAL BULLET I NEED TO PULL.
IF I WERE PICKING UP A BUNCH OF RELOADED AMMO THAT I NEEDED THE CASES I WOULD BUY ONE MAYBE BUT I ONLY DO A FEW A YEAR.
CABELAS HAD A HAMMER. A MONTH OR SO AGO AND IT HAD FOUR DIFFERENT SIZE BUSHINGS THAT I PICKED UP. THE ONE I HAD ONLY HAD TWO BUSHINGS.

Did you have a primer go off in your press?

Haha hahaha haha haha ha hahaha gah :bigsmile: icon_eek

:ROFLMAO: same same reaction....

The Fury of Fire:
Spoiler: show
Attachment:
hr.jpg

"There are violent crazy murderous people in our society! We need to give up all of our means of self-protection IMMEDIATELY!"

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

thefuryoffire wrote:
DoveRelease wrote:
I went through some range brass and about 20% of the 223 brass has cracked necks.
I have a bucket for junk brass. I crush the necks with channel locks in case I drop a good one in there by accident I can find it really easy.

Don't do that! Give those to me, I'm converting .223 brass into .300 blackout or .22tcm.

I have plans to do this :

https://youtu.be/0Z353BT6I18

Yes yes yes, Mr MadPick. That's all I need, another project. :cussing:

"There are violent crazy murderous people in our society! We need to give up all of our means of self-protection IMMEDIATELY!"

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
- How solid is the press mount? Does it flex much when you size the brass?

I can't tell you how much pleasure it gives me to see that you start to give a shit.

:bigsmile:

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

My spammer-radar is pretty good. I'm starting to sense a spammer here.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:09 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:

Ban that fucker!

Wait. Wut?

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DoveRelease wrote:
What headstamps are you useing to convert to 22tcm. I probably have some if it is 223/5.56 brass.

So far Lake City seems to be the best to reform without an anneal. I'm setting the rest aside for when I get annealing equipment together, but I'm not in a rush to get that going yet.

PMB wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Ban that fucker!

Wait. Wut?

It's got to be me.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am

I'm EXTREMLY DEPLORABLE so I'll take the credit.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:59 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

DoveRelease wrote:
I'm EXTREMLY DEPLORABLE so I'll take the credit.

No, “extremely deplorable” is a good thing here. thumbsup

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:18 am

I searched reforming 223 into 22TCM and read a bunch on it. Most were having problems with the bulge on the case at the bottom of the dies. One guy had .020 ground off his size die. Another had his smell holder ground. Some annealed the brass before sizing. There is a lot of places to read up on it. I will be calling Hornady and talk with them on this. I read hordady dies worked better then Lee, and some swore by Lee.
I prefer Rcbs or Hornady over Lee.

I also read that LilGun powder is hot and causes heat damage to the throat of the battle. One guy wrote that his gun recieved damage after fifty shots.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next