Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Trim brass? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
I fire form and then only neck size and have never had a problem with "sticky bolt". Snozz....if your brass is stretching, check the sizing ball diameter and what lube are you using?

I'm using Imperial Dry Neck Lube.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012768197?pid=614125

I'll have to measure the ball diameter, but it's whatever came with my RCBS Neck Sizer Die.

I only have 1 rifle in .308, this one and it's a bolt.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:57 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

sportsdad60 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
I fire form and then only neck size and have never had a problem with "sticky bolt". Snozz....if your brass is stretching, check the sizing ball diameter and what lube are you using?

FF and neck works great with one batch of brass and one rifle. Sometimes folks have 4, 5 rifles in same Caliber. FL resizing is a cure for "one size fits all"

Unless you do like I do and keep all of your brass separated by the rifle it was fired in..... :bigsmile:

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So back to the original question, can I use brass that's longer than SAMI spec? 2.015? Can I use it when it's 2.017? Or do I need to trim it?
Is it worth it to try to measure my chamber to see how large/long it is?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:10 pm

snozzberries wrote:
So back to the original question, can I use brass that's longer than SAMI spec? 2.015? Can I use it when it's 2.017? Or do I need to trim it?

I would NEVER shoot brass that is over the SAMI Spec....PERIOD

The Spec is there for a reason.
Can you get away with it? Maybe but why risk it.

Just my opinion...

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:13 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Nitro_Guns wrote:
snozzberries wrote:

I would NEVER shoot brass that is over the SAMI Spec....PERIOD

The Spec is there for a reason.
Can you get away with it? Maybe but why risk it.

Just my opinion...

While we disagree on neck sizing vs FL (which is lot like Republicans vs Democrats) we agree here. Like I said in the first post - why not just trim em? You can get away with things in reloading...until you can't.

Sounds like you're going to need a trimmer soon anyway. I like the rcbs 3 way trimmer for volume, (would love Giraud) but if I'm doing super accurate stuff in small lots I use my Wilson. That's a whole different debate!

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my brass all the same length. I will set up my trimmer and run it all through this process instead of measureing it all. I have case lenght gauges but rarely use them anymore.
I have an RCBS trimmer that uses the collets to hold the cases. I made an adapter so my cordless screw driver powers it.
This made trimming so much easier.
But i really don't care for the collet grip on this trimmer so I picked up a Lyman hand trimmer withbthe camlock system which I prefer. So I adapted it over to exept my cordless screw driver.
Doing any amount of brass trimming cranking the trimmer by hand gets old real fast.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:37 am

i like my brass all the same length BUT I set up my seating/crimp die so that it will work with an average length case that is under speck and get loading. My crimp will very a bit.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:

The problem with excess case length has nothing to do with accuracy as some others alluded to. The problem is a case that's too long for the chamber can pinch itself closed when it's forced into the chamber anyway, causing high pressure when it fires. (Imagine firing a round that is run up into a crimp die, same idea.)

How long can you get away with? That depends on your chamber. If you don't know, then don't take the risk.

Do you have a drill press? If so - pick up a Lee .308 pilot ($6) and a Lee trimmer cutter (also $6). Run them in your drill press for fast and accurate trimming without spending much.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Yondering wrote:
The problem with excess case length has nothing to do with accuracy …….

It can have a little something to do with accuracy when you are looking for that last little bit of refinement.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
Yondering wrote:
The problem with excess case length has nothing to do with accuracy …….

It can have a little something to do with accuracy when you are looking for that last little bit of refinement.

OK fair enough, I guess I should say accuracy is not the primary issue to be concerned about. Jamming a long case into the chamber and raising pressure can affect accuracy, but the blown primers and cracked bolt lugs might be a more immediate concern. icon_eek :bigsmile:

Other than being too long for the chamber though, case length really doesn't have much effect on accuracy, even for fairly long range shooting.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
usrifle wrote:

FF and neck works great with one batch of brass and one rifle. Sometimes folks have 4, 5 rifles in same Caliber. FL resizing is a cure for "one size fits all"

Unless you do like I do and keep all of your brass separated by the rifle it was fired in..... :bigsmile:

I would if I was competing, but I'm not. Just a backyard plinker and occasional hunter.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did 2 videos with my new borescope. One with a piece of brass that is 2.005 long, and the other with a 2.015 long piece.

Looks like there is still quite a bit of a gap between the mouth of the 2.015 long brass. Does this mean it's safe to run the brass longer?

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 pm

No because your bore pictures are not of what is happening during firing. The brass streches back.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2