Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Measuring case capacity? 

So I may have gotten a little excited today when starline announced that they now produce 30-06 brass! :thumbsup2: :usa: But then my M1 curiosity came out and I asked if the case capacity would match commercial or military specs. The techs said it was smaller than norma & hornady brass but had no idea about military brass. So they asked if I'd like a few to test... Hmm... Ah ya! icon_eek :meme:

Now for my problem, how? I've seen where guys talk about using water, sand, rubbing alcohol, ball powder ect. How can I do this and get fair test?

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:31 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Schoolboy wrote:
So I may have gotten a little excited today when starline announced that they now produce 30-06 brass! :thumbsup2: :usa: But then my M1 curiosity came out and I asked if the case capacity would match commercial or military specs. The techs said it was smaller than norma & hornady brass but had no idea about military brass. So they asked if I'd like a few to test... Hmm... Ah ya! icon_eek :meme:

Now for my problem, how? I've seen where guys talk about using water, sand, rubbing alcohol, ball powder ect. How can I do this and get fair test?

Water volume test....

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:26 pm

To get the actual amount yes water so that means you will have to prime them with the same brand spent primers and measure the water they hold...best to do that by weight or if you just want to compare them to the brass you have been using you could just prime them with spent primers a fill them with ball powder since it packs so well or you could use the powder that you use to load 30-6 because if they hold lots more it will be clearly evident when you fill a case with you loading and it is way short.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're going to need to fire them in the same chamber as whatever other brass you're comparing them to, otherwise it doesn't mean much. Even then, brass spring back is different for new vs work hardened cases so it's not a very accurate measurement.

Personally I'd rather just measure the weight difference after firing and trimming them all to the same length.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yondering wrote:
You're going to need to fire them in the same chamber as whatever other brass you're comparing them to, otherwise it doesn't mean much. Even then, brass spring back is different for new vs work hardened cases so it's not a very accurate measurement.

Personally I'd rather just measure the weight difference after firing and trimming them all to the same length.

Good thoughts.

It seems to me that you need to first decide whether you're going to full-length size or neck-size. If neck-size, then fire them all in the same chamber, then neck-size, THEN measure capacity. Or if you're going to full-length size, then size them all, trim them, then measure capacity.

That sounds logical to me . . . except for one niggling little thought. What's relevant, the case capacity at the moment you pull the trigger, or the case capacity a few milliseconds later as the case expands to fill the chamber? If the latter, then yeah you should measure capacity after firing and before any resizing, neck or otherwise.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:38 pm

You could be overthinking the plumbing. Start by comparing the WATER capacity of the new Starline brass to that of new commercial brass from another manufacturer. No sizing is needed.

Plugging the primer pocket with modeling clay might be a bunch easier than the spent primer route.

If new Starline brass is the same WATER capacity as other new commercial brass, then you have the answer. We already know how commercial brass differs from military.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I dunno, I don’t think measuring NEW brass is the answer, since you don’t know how the new brass is shaped. Some new brass will chamber just fine, some new brass needs to be sized before chambering. I don’t think “new” gives you a level playing field between brands.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 pm

So run the new brass and old full length through the sizer plug the primer one way or another and get it done. I am running a good half dozen brands of cases for 30-06 1000 total some dating back as far as as 1939. It took me a whole two hours to figure out the heaviest and confirm the smallest capacity and I used the smallest capacity to work up my load so as not not have over pressure.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:36 am

MadPick wrote:
... some new brass needs to be sized before chambering.

I'm curious to know what brand of 30-06 brass (new) did not chamber and in what firearm that happened?

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I’ve never bought new 30-06 brass. I’ve had it happen with 7.5 Swiss.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
That sounds logical to me . . . except for one niggling little thought. What's relevant, the case capacity at the moment you pull the trigger, or the case capacity a few milliseconds later as the case expands to fill the chamber? If the latter, then yeah you should measure capacity after firing and before any resizing, neck or otherwise.

The first of those has some small effect (because it takes work=energy to form brass to the chamber), but the second condition is the important one. And, if you're trying to compare capacity of one brand to another, you want the case outer dimensions to be identical otherwise it's meaningless.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]