Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 A tale of two scales... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well maybe not a tale but how about a tell...

I’ve been using a Lyman D-7 scale for the last four years and while I believe I had it set up correctly I just do not trust it. When I say do not trust it is an afterthought when I recently came across an RCBS 1010. When I got it set up, adjusted and tested I tried it out with my 223 load in my Lee powder throw that was supposedly set at 23g IMR 3031.... we’ll it weren’t!!! It was actually 23.4g (if the RCBS1010 is right) ....

So in all of your infinite wisdom, which one do you think is the best, should I keep one as a back up or scrap em both and get another of better quality?

As always, thanks in advance. ;)

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Precision trumps accuracy. If you work up your loads it doesn't matter if your scale is off a long as it's repeatable. Use whichever you like best!

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Verify the scales with check weights...

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was thinking along the same lines, I first have to know what is the right weight though. I’ll get a weight verified tomorrow, thanks.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 pm

the 1010 should have a weight that u can use as a check weight

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:

That is not a weight check, it is an auxiliary weight to ad capacity to 1,010 grains.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1 ml of water is 1 gram. Got a pipetter?

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:

Thanks but no, I'll wait for the "No Error Deal". I've got a set of RCBS check weights coming this week. :bigsmile:

I'm going to set up the 10 10 and use it and probably sell the Lyman later on.
Thanks for all the feedback folks. :thumbsup2:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
hartcreek wrote:

That is not a weight check, it is an auxiliary weight to ad capacity to 1,010 grains.

If it's a known weight and within the range of your scale, it doesn't matter what it's called, it can be used for a check weight.

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
hartcreek wrote:

If it's a known weight and within the range of your scale, it doesn't matter what it's called, it can be used for a check weight.

Thanks, but calibration with a 250g +/- weight, nah. I have a set of RCBS check weights coming so I’ll wait for the real deal.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
hartcreek wrote:

Thanks, but calibration with a 250g +/- weight, nah. I have a set of RCBS check weights coming so I’ll wait for the real deal.

Scratching my head here about your objection. If that weight is intended to increase the capacity of the scale, it's just as accurate as the check weights. And there is nothing wrong with calibrating with a 250gr weight (unless you're using a scale that doesn't go that high, but the 1010 does).

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:37 pm

My check weights are in grams so I just convert to grains after I have used my 1010 weight for a quick check. I have recalibrated analytical scales so a powder scale is easy.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
hartcreek wrote:

Scratching my head here about your objection. If that weight is intended to increase the capacity of the scale, it's just as accurate as the check weights. And there is nothing wrong with calibrating with a 250gr weight (unless you're using a scale that doesn't go that high, but the 1010 does).

Just my personal preference is all. I received the check weights and the scale has been calibrated to my satisfaction. Thanks to all who posted comments. :thumbsup2:

Jim Sr.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
SporkBoy wrote:

Thanks but no, I'll wait for the "No Error Deal". I've got a set of RCBS check weights coming this week. :bigsmile:

I'm going to set up the 10 10 and use it and probably sell the Lyman later on.
Thanks for all the feedback folks. :thumbsup2:

Was actually the method used to calibrate pipettes for FDA compliance.

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]