Switch to full style
Post up your tips, tricks, load data and setups here.
Post a reply

COL Question

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Regarding COL. On the Western Powders tables it states the minimum COL, but not a maximum. What is the maximum on 10MM? I did not see it in SAAMI info either.

On .45 I ended up just measuring some store bought Blazer Brass and found it to be roughly 1.27. When reloading .45 I just split the difference and load them at 1.25 (min is 1.234).

Input?

Re: COL Question

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Ensure the minimum measurement is met/exceeded. Longer is okay as long as they feed.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:40 pm

1.260”

The normally universally regarded “long COL” for 10mm with the standard 180gr projectile.

I believe SAAMI starts to figure PSI around 1.250 and I’ve seen some shitter bulk ammo clear out to 1.277.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:17 am

jukk0u wrote:Ensure the minimum measurement is met/exceeded. Longer is okay as long as they feed.

Yes ... but In addition to feeding, you need to make sure:

- The bullet is not touching the rifling in the barrel when chambered.
- The rounds fit in the mag.
- There’s enough bullet in the case to hold it securely.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:53 am

MadPick wrote:
jukk0u wrote:Ensure the minimum measurement is met/exceeded. Longer is okay as long as they feed.

Yes ... but In addition to feeding, you need to make sure:

- The bullet is not touching the rifling in the barrel when chambered.
- The rounds fit in the mag.
- There’s enough bullet in the case to hold it securely.

the mins and maxs are listed as one-in-the-same, so how many thousandths of variation is acceptable? You haven't answered the question, either then, MaPi.

OP: I guess you could gin up the hottest round you desire then paint a bullet, chamber it and extract to see if it's contacting.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks everyone

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:36 pm

As stated above. Max COL is 1.260"

Post a reply