Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Recommendations for 300 BLK subsonic loads 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yondering wrote:
For the bolt gun, try about 5-6gr of Green Dot, or another fast pistol powder like that. Work down to the appropriate load (always start high with subs and work down, not up). That load is WAY quieter than anything that will cycle an AR; it's about as close to suppressed 22LR subsonics as you can get with a centerfire. It's quieter in ARs too of course, but you'll have to cycle them by hand.

We're getting off topic here, but this is the fun part. :thumbsup2: Yeah, I thought my 300BLK AR-15 was about the coolest thing ever . . . until I bought the bolt gun.

I did some testing with Titegroup for the bolt gun, and then Trail Boss, and finally settled on Trail Boss. Now I load 7.0gr of Trail Boss with either a Nosler 110gr Varmageddon or 150gr X-treme plated flat point. Both seem to run about the same, and yes they are SUPER quiet, like a freaking pellet gun! It's amazing. My AR is quiet I guess, but even suppressed I want to use my earpro because of the noise from the action, so the bolt action is a real treat.

And . . . yes . . . 7.0gr of Traill Boss is a compressed load. Yes, I know you're not supposed to compress Trail Boss because it can supposedly be unpredictable. However, I've never had an issue, so I run with it. This gives me 1030 fps (110gr bullet) and 1070 fps (150gr bullet).

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
We're getting off topic here, but this is the fun part. :thumbsup2:

It can go on forever really

The 300 Blackout Master Thread on arf.com is 61 pages long and 300blktalk has 242 pages of threads just on reloading

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Yondering wrote:
For the bolt gun, try about 5-6gr of Green Dot, or another fast pistol powder like that. Work down to the appropriate load (always start high with subs and work down, not up). That load is WAY quieter than anything that will cycle an AR; it's about as close to suppressed 22LR subsonics as you can get with a centerfire. It's quieter in ARs too of course, but you'll have to cycle them by hand.

We're getting off topic here, but this is the fun part. :thumbsup2: Yeah, I thought my 300BLK AR-15 was about the coolest thing ever . . . until I bought the bolt gun.

I did some testing with Titegroup for the bolt gun, and then Trail Boss, and finally settled on Trail Boss. Now I load 7.0gr of Trail Boss with either a Nosler 110gr Varmageddon or 150gr X-treme plated flat point. Both seem to run about the same, and yes they are SUPER quiet, like a freaking pellet gun! It's amazing. My AR is quiet I guess, but even suppressed I want to use my earpro because of the noise from the action, so the bolt action is a real treat.

And . . . yes . . . 7.0gr of Traill Boss is a compressed load. Yes, I know you're not supposed to compress Trail Boss because it can supposedly be unpredictable. However, I've never had an issue, so I run with it. This gives me 1030 fps (110gr bullet) and 1070 fps (150gr bullet).

I don't know how much you've experimented, but for quieter suppressed loads, drop the speed down to 1,000 fps makes a difference from ~1,050, and down to 900 fps is even quieter than that. Below 900 fps doesn't usually have much advantage. Above 1,050 definitely gets louder, worse in cold weather. There is a chart on that floating around somewhere, but my copy is missing too many pixels to be useful.

Also some powders are significantly quieter than others, even within the same burn rate range, hence my suggestion for Green Dot which is quieter than Bullseye, Clays, Universal, Unique, WSF, or Trail Boss. American Select is another one that is quiet like Green Dot. The sound of the shot with those two powders has a duller flatter tone, while the others are a little sharper.
For low pressure subs that don't cycle a semi-auto, I've started to use Green Dot for everything from 9mm on up to 35 Whelen.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2