Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 308 Brass, Woodford and 4895 Powder 

Recently finished adding 308 to the bench (with some thanks to marcusp323). Thought I'd work on a bit of brass with an old companion, Woodford. It's a smooth, warm evening.

Thinking forward in my loading project I find I would like an answer about 4895 powder (which seems to come very highly recommended in too many places to ignore). In loading manuals I see both Hodgdon 4895 and IMR 4895. I see they have slightly different load data, so they're clearly not exactly the same thing.

Now the problem: I asked an extremely reliable source about the difference and his answer was, "not enough to worry about... they both deliver the same outstanding results". Mmmmm-kay. So, I now gather that they are the same, but not the same. Neat.

Anyone have additional info to share? A little history about how this similar naming came to be? Any performance experiences between them in your opinion? Also, when 4895 is being recommended in various forums, would your experience lead you to think they're referring to IMR or Hodgdon? ...or am I the only one a little confused on the subject?

Thanks in advance WaGuns!

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:06 pm

I went round and round on the 4895 thing and it depends on what groups your in. But no I do not believe H4895 and IMR4895 to be the same. They are probably very similar like cousins. In my reading H4895 is seen as being very temp stable much like varget. Where as IMR4895 is about three time more sensitive. IMR4895 is usally cheaper and easier to find. The M1 boys tend to favor IMR.

The one thing thats been stressed to me that the load data for the two is not interchangeable but they do perform well.

Finally if in dought, email/call Hogdon directly and ask.

Personally I tried to buy H4895 to do most of my 30-06 loads with and have only come up with 5lbs of the stuff. So when I found two 8lb jugs of IMR4895 I jumped on it. The IMR will be my plinking rounds and the H will be for my hunting rounds.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:36 pm

That's great insight. I'm loading for stupid-accuracy on a new bolt gun... long and short of it sounds like I'm looking for the Hodgdon flavor. If I pick up the wanted M1A (future) I'll consider the IMR flavor to use with range brass. Thanks for sharing the expertise / experience. Cheers.

Schoolboy wrote:
I went round and round on the 4895 thing and it depends on what groups your in. But no I do not believe H4895 and IMR4895 to be the same. They are probably very similar like cousins. In my reading H4895 is seen as being very temp stable much like varget. Where as IMR4895 is about three time more sensitive. IMR4895 is usally cheaper and easier to find. The M1 boys tend to favor IMR.

The one thing thats been stressed to me that the load data for the two is not interchangeable but they do perform well.

Finally if in dought, email/call Hogdon directly and ask.

Personally I tried to buy H4895 to do most of my 30-06 loads with and have only come up with 5lbs of the stuff. So when I found two 8lb jugs of IMR4895 I jumped on it. The IMR will be my plinking rounds and the H will be for my hunting rounds.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Woodford Reserve, .308 IMR 4895. As Mary Poppins said "these are a few of my favorite things". I happened to start out with IMR4895 and was always too confused and spooked to change. I've had "experts" tell me completely opposite things about the difference between IMR and H 4995's. I've been able to get loads as accurate as I am able to shoot using IMR4895, but don't doubt the same could be done with H4895 too. In any case, I would adhere to published data by reliable sources, like Hogdon.

BTW, I've had the best accuracy using 165-168 grain bullets, like Nosler Solid Base and Ballistic tips, and Sierra Match Kings.

It's pretty hard to screw up Woodfords.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Great info Traut. Thanks!

Traut wrote:
Woodford Reserve, .308 IMR 4895. As Mary Poppins said "these are a few of my favorite things". I happened to start out with IMR4895 and was always too confused and spooked to change. I've had "experts" tell me completely opposite things about the difference between IMR and H 4995's. I've been able to get loads as accurate as I am able to shoot using IMR4895, but don't doubt the same could be done with H4895 too. In any case, I would adhere to published data by reliable sources, like Hogdon.

BTW, I've had the best accuracy using 165-168 grain bullets, like Nosler Solid Base and Ballistic tips, and Sierra Match Kings.

It's pretty hard to screw up Woodfords.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]