Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Getting started with reloading 

New to reloading and I’ve got nothing yet.

Looking to load 556 with 77gr to improve accuracy with my 5" barrel (Maxim PDX), and 9mm for subsonic. I'm thinking to start by focusing on 9mm to get good with the process perhaps using ready to load casings before cleaning and prepping my own casing for the first/two rounds to understand how things work. I have a feeling that I may be doing this for a while (gun owner for the past 25 yrs, hits indoor range 3+ days a week).

I know we have many experienced hands in our community, looking for some advice and equipment. I've watched a few youtube videos and will be watching many more. I see brands like Lee, Dillion Precision, RCBS, Hornady Lock-N-Load and single stage vs multiple. Not sure what to get for my purpose.

So to begin with, knowing what you know, where should I start? what should I get? If you have extra equipment or looking to upgrade yours, what do you have? I'm in Kirkland WA, can pickup locally. Thanks!

Clark

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:49 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, Clark!

Since this will be more of a discussion than a simple WTB ad, I moved this thread to the discussion forum and changed your title. I know there’s still a WTB aspect, that’s fine.

I’ll be back later with a longer response....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some deals here:
viewforum.php?f=29

Do you want to start cheap? Less complicated?
A single stage will do fine. Ask if they drop spent primers or have a tool to reduce spillage.

There used to be a place to learn reloading near Seattle but that is passed. Maybe if people are interested we could have a reloading clinic sometime.

Prices have gone thru the roof but single stage reloading is quite affordable.

DO you plan on reloading 9mm, 223, ?

If you have a little bit of coin, you can always get a complete kit, although it will be more expensive nowadays. Or if you have the time, you can get the pieces you want if you know what you are looking for.

I started out decades ago with an RCBS Rock Chucker set. Moved to an RCBS progressive add-on but it was a little persnickety for me so I parted it all off and got a Dillon. I do like the Lee single stage presses and they are decent. But I generally don't like Lee tools outside of the presses. But an older press in good shape is just as fine. My only complaint for some is they make a mess in collecting spent primers or they make it expensive or hard in priming brass.

In the link above there are reloading accessories that are cheaper than buying new.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:43 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Clark, if you're shooting 3+ times a week, I'm guessing that you go through a fair amount of ammo.

I like your plan to start with 9mm and then move to .223, but I don't think there needs to be a big lag there. However, .223 does take a little extra effort and tooling, as you need to deal with swaged primer pockets and case trimming.

Many folks will tell you to start with a single stage. I started with a Hornady LNL progressive and I have zero regrets; personally, I'd get either a Hornady LNL or a Dillon 650/750. Buy once, cry once.

As for leaving case prep to later . . . I wouldn't. Especially for 9mm, case prep is easy: Tumble the brass, then start loading. You'll spend more time and money trying to find prepped brass than just prepping it yourself.

For subsonic 9mm, I assume you're looking at 147-grain? You can go heavier too, I've tried up to 165gr, but I haven't seen any real benefit so I've gone back to the cheaper and more available 147gr.

And as I'm sure you know, availability of reloading components is low, and prices are high. Much like loaded ammo. Times are tough. :frust:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd suggest you start with a single stage press to learn the basics then on to a progressive done the road.
You will always have use for the single stage press.
Buy decent quality products and cry once. It doesn't costbthat much more for quality stuff.

First thing buy some good reloading booksn
The new Hornady, Lyman. They are packed with sound reloading advice.
A good RCBS Rock Chucker press or a Hornady Lock & Load press would be a good press to start with.

The Rock Chucker press has a plug you can remover and replace it with a Lock n Load adaptor which makes changeing dies a snap.

A lot ofvthe stuff you need can be bought semi local from a few ofgthe guys who deal in used reloading equipment and used stuff on e bay.

I buy from both.

When it's time for you to see how it is done you arecwelcome to come to Arlington and you can try out my stuff on your cases. I have two single stage Hornady Lock n Load set up.
I have a Dillion 650 that I will set uo when I pick up the Hornady progressive press.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So as a general guideline I would suggest budgeting like 2-3 guns worth.

So if you have high end guns versus low end would give you an idea how much your initial investment will be.

Please there is never a cost savings when you start reloading. Don’t use that for an excuse. What you get is the true advantage to make your own Ammo the way you want it to shoot (accuracy versus function of your specific firearm). In the long run you may save if you are loading up for big calibers or those for specialty loads.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:50 am
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

I would recommend getting a copy of "The A B C's of Reloading". It is a good book, full of helpful info.

Check with: marcusp323 , he handles used reloading gear. Good man to deal with.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:38 pm
FFL / Dealer

I miss the days of Wes (i.e., Sagewa) offering anyone the opportunity to learn how to reload by making an appointment to stop by his house. Even though I read through some books and looked at Youtube videos, watching and asking questions from someone who knows how to do it alleviated a lot of concerns. Check around and see if there is a reloading class being offered at a gun shop or club around here.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:32 pm

I too was excited about shooting "quietly" years ago. I started off thinking a was going to develop a quite 308 cartridge. I later realized that 308s are not subsonic performers. Not only are the bullets unstable but the muzzle energy is very low. A typical 308 has 2,600 flbs of energy a subsonic 308 has 451 flbs. 451 flbs is about what a 9mm +p yeilds. Pick the right caliber if you want to run subsonics. 45ACP is a great subsonic pistol caliber.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bulle ... energy.php

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]