Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:57 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Full-length resize and trim Primed brass 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: King County
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014
Posts: 3722
I've got some brass I had tumbled, necksized, and primed. Now I just bought a trimmer and full-length resizing die. So I'm thinking about resizing it and then trimming it. I would normally do this before priming it. What are you thoughts on doing it after priming it?


Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 pm
Profile
Online
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 42181
Real Name: Steve
If you do it after priming, you need to deal with:

- Removing the depriming pin from your sizing die, so you don't pop out your new primers.
- Lubing the brass, and removing the lube, without damaging the primers.

Bottom line, sounds like a bad idea to me.

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:04 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: King County
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014
Posts: 3722
Oh I totally forgot about lubing and delubing the brass. Nevermind.


Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:15 pm
Profile
Online
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 42181
Real Name: Steve
snozzberries wrote:
Oh I totally forgot about lubing and delubing the brass.


You'll only make that mistake once. :bigsmile:

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Skagit County, in the woods
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 610
snozzberries wrote:
Oh I totally forgot about lubing and delubing the brass. Nevermind.


You can lube lightly and then just tumble the brass to remove the lube, it's no big deal and doesn't hurt the primers. Just make sure the breather hole in your size die isn't plugged, or it may pop out the primers by air pressure (depending on the die and cartridge of course)

Easiest way to lube for this (and any other sizing op) is to dump the cases in a ziploc bag and spray your lube in the bag (not directly on the cases), then zip closed and shake it all around. It doesn't take much lube to get a good even coating, and it eliminates the mess of those rolling pads. Some sort of aerosol spray lube is best, whether in a can or a pump sprayer.


Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:15 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14053
Real Name: John
snozzberries wrote:
I've got some brass I had tumbled, necksized, and primed. Now I just bought a trimmer and full-length resizing die. So I'm thinking about resizing it and then trimming it. I would normally do this before priming it. What are you thoughts on doing it after priming it?


Why do you feel the need to do that? You neck sized it to the Rifle chamber, did you then decide to run it through a SA Rifle? :popcorn:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:26 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Skagit County, in the woods
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 610
usrifle wrote:
snozzberries wrote:
I've got some brass I had tumbled, necksized, and primed. Now I just bought a trimmer and full-length resizing die. So I'm thinking about resizing it and then trimming it. I would normally do this before priming it. What are you thoughts on doing it after priming it?


Why do you feel the need to do that? You neck sized it to the Rifle chamber, did you then decide to run it through a SA Rifle? :popcorn:


Agreed, that would be the only real reason to FL size it. Otherwise just use it as-is.


Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:57 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: In my Cave
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 3298
Real Name: Jim Sr.
Did you use a case gauge or check it in a chamber?

_________________
Since Clint went full retard I’ll no longer use his quotes!!!!

"You are either with us...as Americans. Or, You are against us. There is no IN BETWEEN." ???

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:


Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:34 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: King County
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014
Posts: 3722
I was neck-sizing, but have decided to try out full-length sizing instead. The trimmer I bought trims based upon distance from the shoulder, so they need to be consistently full-length resized to get a consistent overall length.

I can either resize and trims these that are primed, or shoot all of them, and then resize and trim them.


Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:57 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14053
Real Name: John
If you are just shooting that brass in a bolt gun, don't FL resize it everytime. All you are doing is shortening the life of your brass and making more work for yourself.
Get a trimmer that Trims to OAL, and after doing it once you will likely never have to do it again for the life of the brass with a quality neck sizer.

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:10 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Skagit County, in the woods
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 610
snozzberries wrote:
I was neck-sizing, but have decided to try out full-length sizing instead. The trimmer I bought trims based upon distance from the shoulder, so they need to be consistently full-length resized to get a consistent overall length.

I can either resize and trims these that are primed, or shoot all of them, and then resize and trim them.


If that brass was fired in the same rifle, then the shoulder position is already as consistent as it can be. If it was not all fired in the rifle you intend to use it in, you shouldn't have been neck sizing it anyway.


Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.741s | 16 Queries | GZIP : Off ]