Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LEE ERGO PRIME 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone used this New Lee priming system? https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-prec ... ergo-prime The 4 reviews are favorable but wonder if they are younger loaders...
I have arthritic pain in my hands and have been utilizing my SIL and his friend to do my priming the last few years. At times this works great but they are in hunting mode and do not "have the time" to come do it.
I have had a bench prime last year but it broke way too easily for my taste so I'm looking for something a little more forgiving. It doesn't have to be a lee but I cant afford a $100 tool.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Jim Sr. :wagwoot:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim
I hear you about the lee products bring of lower quality. I do like the older Lee auto prime hand held tools. I have four of them set up, small pistol, large pistol, small rifle & large rifle and I have three extra older Lee auto prime tools setting on the shelf gor when one shits to bed.

I did get a Lee Bench Prime and set it up for small pistol. It took a little playing with it to operate it corectly. They are cheaply built so you can't cowboy them.
I did buy another one to set up for large primers.

I also bought two extra primer holders from amazon so I can have one set up.for small pistol and one set up for small rife.
My other bench prime is set up for large primers, large pistol & large rifle.

I bought a label maker and have the primer holders labeled..

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have two of those Pat, with extra parts.
I do think that I am destined for a bench prime model though.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Look around for a used RCBS or Lachmiller bench prime tool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Primer-Seating-Tool-bench-mounted/174434703595?hash=item289d1e58eb:g:M1EAAOSw7lxfXmyJ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Reloading-Equipment-Automatic-Priming-Tool-15x-Shellholders-Case-Gauge/313212806494?hash=item48ecf0255e:g:v-kAAOSwb6FfYamH

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree the Lee bench prime is very cheaply built. A plastic part on my lee auto bench prime broke the first month I used it. I rigged it with a stiff wire and it works ok.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the only thing Lee has going for primer tools is the primer storage, do any of the bench mounted models (non Lee) have this feature?

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just watched the video on the rcbs one and loading that tube with primers looks time consuming.

I’d stick with the lee Just for the ease of loading primers.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

san wrote:
I just watched the video on the rcbs one and loading that tube with primers looks time consuming.

I’d stick with the lee Just for the ease of loading primers.

For years I used to prime on my RCBS press, it was pretty fast and yes it was very time consuming to load those tubes. But it was not so stressful on my hands as the hand primers... I just might have to revisit the RCBS.... :bigsmile:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the auto priming attachment for the rock chucker supreme and it's the biggest pile of trash ever. So many crushed primers

Would not recommend

Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
I bought the auto priming attachment for the rock chucker supreme and it's the biggest pile of trash ever. So many crushed primers

Would not recommend

Now that you mentioned it I seem to remember this. icon_eek

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 pm

san wrote:
loading that tube with primers looks time consuming.

Of course your time is your own to use as you see fit. But IMO the couple of minutes it takes me to fill a primer tube is insignificant. Pretty much required for progressive loaders.

I commonly use a Lachmiller bench prime tool that my Dad bought when I was a little kid; one primer at a time - inserted by hand. Buy good equipment and it will last a lifetime, maybe longer.

Priming on the press down-stroke has the least amount of “feel” of any priming method. Bottom of the list of methods that I would use for priming.

Another priming method is a ram-prime unit. IMO still not the greatest choice for “feel”, but better than down-stroke.

If you’re crushing primers, you’re doing it wrong!

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gunblaster wrote:
If you’re crushing primers, you’re doing it wrong!

The priming unit I referred to has too much movement in the priming arm. Even shimming the inside of the housing won't fix it, the arm isn't very well supported and flexes too much

It had consistently bad reviews when I bought it. I'm pretty good at fixing mechanical things and figured I could make it work. Maybe I still can, it's just not as easy as making a few adjustments or working on my technique

Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back when I was priming on my RCBS press it was a chore to keep the primers sitting perpendicular coming out of the tube. Maybe because it was old, well used or just rode hard and put up wet, I do not know but that’s why I upgraded to the Lee hand prime and my hands problems ensued,
I prime 500/1000 at a time so I will need to find a good bench unit for the chore.

Thanks for all the help folks!!! :wagwoot: :wagwoot: :wagwoot:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe I’m gonna go with the RCBS bench primer, yeah I didn’t want to spend a Benjamin on one but it’s about time I give my hands a break. :bigsmile:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... iming-tool

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of priming, I use my auto progressive Hornady LnL for all my priming needs. The press is only used for priming brass all 18 calibers I reload for, as well as complete pistol and .223 loads (all other calibers are single staged with my RCBS rock chucker which I bought here from a WA guns member in 2016)

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next