Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Reloading thread 

I'm new to this but would like a discussion about finding a press for 9mm up to 45 acp. If it fits more in the mix, great, im not looking for a complex one but looks like reloading dies and whatnot will be the big challenge. I'm asking because I came upon some pretty raw lead and will address that when the time comes. But what's the best all around kinda kit- Lee loader or ???

Before anyone gets ahead of me, I've been working on the primers and powders but 9mm is likely a small primer deal. Ok, definitely not the worst problem to have. I'll be working towards a few more things in the future, stores aren't out of these things, just rare to come up with them. And if this is a repeat in a thread, let me know or move it to where it should be.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a Reloading for sale section and a Reloading section.

I'd say try to find an RCBS kit on on of the main online stores or Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop. Or start piece mealing something together. I would stick to a single stage or turret set up as you learn. They are inexpensive and even after you upgrade to a progressive will still have use.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:16 am

stompah wrote:
We have a Reloading for sale section and a Reloading section.

I'd say try to find an RCBS kit on on of the main online stores or Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop. Or start piece mealing something together. I would stick to a single stage or turret set up as you learn. They are inexpensive and even after you upgrade to a progressive will still have use.
this is what I thought about doing. I looked at the reloading thread, I just think a model to specify of the press would be good to know. Taking the baby steps really.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on falling down the rabbit hole, bad timing perhaps but components are out there it’s just a matter of timing (being first to respond with “I’LL TAKE IT”) and how much money you want to spend.
We also have a reloading section that has a mega-ton of good information to help you along your journey.
As far as a recommendation for a press, it’s really a personal preference but mine is Lee which I have three. I have a Lee single stage, Lee pro 1000 and Lee classic turret presses.
Good luck :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:34 am

Caveman Jim wrote:
Congrats on falling down the rabbit hole, bad timing perhaps but components are out there it’s just a matter of timing (being first to respond with “I’LL TAKE IT”) and how much money you want to spend.
We also have a reloading section that has a mega-ton of good information to help you along your journey.
As far as a recommendation for a press, it’s really a personal preference but mine is Lee which I have three. I have a Lee single stage, Lee pro 1000 and Lee classic turret presses.
Haha my timing is late. That is for sure. I'm interested in it but my fear was more or less, "do I really wanna do this now?" Then turned into "oh dear what have I done!". Suffice to say I've been watching my fair share of lead melting videos and want to turn that lead sheet into those ingots. I certainly will have my hands full at that...

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deafPapa1985 wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
Haha my timing is late. That is for sure. I'm interested in it but my fear was more or less, "do I really wanna do this now?" Then turned into "oh dear what have I done!". Suffice to say I've been watching my fair share of lead melting videos and want to turn that lead sheet into those ingots. I certainly will have my hands full at that...

I know reloading is alluring and all but right now it’s cheaper to buy high priced ammo.
I would turn part of that lead into fishing weights, but that’s just me. :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moved to the Reloading discussion section.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
I would turn part of that lead into fishing weights, but that’s just me. :wink05:

Biased much? Lol, :ROFLMAO:

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Go to the reloading thread. tHere is a guy there that has a couple turret presses for sale. Look for reloading manuals and read. There are guys here that have classes and others like me that take on a student on occasion. Watch for the PIF posts as some of us give away stuff that we do not need. Watch videos on how to do reloading by guys like elvisammo. Some stuff is out there. Look for good purchases on brass that you will need. Yes you can cast fishing weights too. I turn my worn out bullet molds into molds for fishing weights.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Biased much? Lol, :ROFLMAO:

Maybe a little but think of it this this way, when prices come down on components you can still make those fishing weights into bullets so have some fun in the meantime. :ROFLMAO:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
Go to the reloading thread. tHere is a guy there that has a couple turret presses for sale. Look for reloading manuals and read. There are guys here that have classes and others like me that take on a student on occasion. Watch for the PIF posts as some of us give away stuff that we do not need. Watch videos on how to do reloading by guys like elvisammo. Some stuff is out there. Look for good purchases on brass that you will need. Yes you can cast fishing weights too. I turn my worn out bullet molds into molds for fishing weights.

Good information.

Attachment:
A6F80EAC-0E21-4225-BA87-8010375A8511.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of volume are you looking at doing?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:57 am

mcyclonegt wrote:
What kind of volume are you looking at doing?

Honestly I don't know. What I acquired was about 400 lbs of raw roofing lead for a really good price. (Much lower than $1/lb) I don't plan on using it all at once but getting the lead into bars is my first step. Getting other supplies might be the slow going. I'm not ready to do this overnight.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:07 pm

MadPick wrote:

Apologies for making this thread when there was one. Still figuring out this site altogether.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

deafPapa1985 wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Apologies for making this thread when there was one. Still figuring out this site altogether.

We've had some bad terminology in this discussion, so let me clarify:

- We have a Reloading section, aka forum.
- In that section/forum there are threads. deafPapa1985, this is a thread that you created.
- Within each thread, there are posts. I just created this post. deafPapa1985, you made a post above.

So yes, we have a Reloading section . . . and you can create threads in it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next