Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pulling A LOT of bullets. Pics added 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edit. These are NOT MY RELOADS. I do have the RCBS collet puller and it works fine it’s just a slow process.

I’ve had 2000+ reloaded 10mm rounds for a while, almost 6 years or so. I knew that I was going to use these down the road for my 40S&W so now it’s time to pull them down. I plan to keep the bullets for the splodin .40S&W and sell the powder and the primed cases.
It’s going to be very time consuming, I spent over an hour yesterday and only pulled down 128… Ughhhh.

There are 3 lots with about 8-900 rounds per lot. 165g FMJ, 165g HP (looks like plated XTP’s) and 175g lead HP. They all have 9.3-9.5g of H800X powder (I checked them on two scales) mostly New with some once fired Starline brass and CCI LPP’s.

I’m wondering if someone here is set up for pulling bullets a bit faster?

Attachment:
2216B481-9834-4DE7-8EB6-15063A7F47B1.jpeg

Attachment:
13B9488C-731C-4D50-B384-F5E9840FAFC7.jpeg

Attachment:
1E8486E1-DF1D-4EEB-8492-11ADA42EA3DE.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by Caveman Jim on Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think you're nuts!

If these were rifle cartridges, I'd say get a collet puller. That's not going to help you with most pistol bullets though, and especially not flat 10mm bullets. And selling used, unpackaged powder is a pretty iffy proposition.

I think you're setting yourself up for a shit-ton of work, for minimal benefit.

Buy a 10mm pistol and shoot them. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I think you're nuts!

If these were rifle cartridges, I'd say get a collet puller. That's not going to help you with most pistol bullets though, and especially not flat 10mm bullets. And selling used, unpackaged powder is a pretty iffy proposition.

I think you're setting yourself up for a shit-ton of work, for minimal benefit.

Buy a 10mm pistol and shoot them. thumbsup

You are correct Steve, certifiable crazy. But here’s the rub.
First let me say that these are not my reloads, I got them in a trade a while ago so I’m not going to shoot them even though they are pretty damn consistent on the powder charges.
With the arthritis that I have in my hands and wrists I do not think that I will be getting a pistol to shoot 10mm, ever.
Well I may have to rethink selling the powder unless I get someone to pull them for barter.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not re-sell the 10mm and buy some projectiles? Granted, they may be harder to find currently, but 2 years down the road when you finish pulling these, you'll be able to find some :ROFLMAO:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normanator wrote:
Why not re-sell the 10mm and buy some projectiles? Granted, they may be harder to find currently, but 2 years down the road when you finish pulling these, you'll be able to find some :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Do you buy and shoot others reloads? :popcorn:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:07 pm

I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in both hands. I use a kinetic type puller smacking a small piece of steel plate. You are not in a hurry so just pull the bullets while watching movies. I would use the powder and bullets for .40 cal and sell or trade the primed brass.

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in both hands. I use a kinetic type puller smacking a small piece of steel plate. You are not in a hurry so just pull the bullets while watching movies. I would use the powder and bullets for .40 cal and sell or trade the primed brass.

That’s my plan, I just wish it didn’t take so damn long that’s why I was asking if somebody was already set up with a progressive press.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Normanator wrote:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Do you buy and shoot others reloads? :popcorn:

No, but I know folks do. I would buy them to pull, reload with my powder, then shoot though

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:11 pm

I don't think a kinetic would really be any faster, and your hand might start to hurt doing that many.

There really isn't any fast way to do it, what you're doing will go faster over time...muscle memory.

I think, just dedicate to doing 50-100 a day, or whatever you can, and keep at it daily.

Also, quick search, I didnt see any readily available data for that powder and .40. Might be out there.

I suppose you could try some kind of workup, but .40 is goofy when you color outside the lines like that. I've loaded .40 for years, and I wouldn't wanna mess with that powder. Big waste, I know. Most folks won't want to buy it like that either.

At least you'll be reclaiming the slugs and have primed cases to sell, which in the current market would net well.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
I don't think a kinetic would really be any faster, and your hand might start to hurt doing that many.

There really isn't any fast way to do it, what you're doing will go faster over time...muscle memory.

I think, just dedicate to doing 50-100 a day, or whatever you can, and keep at it daily.

Also, quick search, I didnt see any readily available data for that powder and .40. Might be out there.

I suppose you could try some kind of workup, but .40 is goofy when you color outside the lines like that. I've loaded .40 for years, and I wouldn't wanna mess with that powder. Big waste, I know. Most folks won't want to buy it like that either.

At least you'll be reclaiming the slugs and have primed cases to sell, which in the current market would net well.

Yes it’s definitely gonna take a little bit of effort l, I’ll have to make every chance I get out to the shop for an hour or so a day. Thank goodness I went to the RCBS collet pullers exclusively last year, my days of pounding hammers are over… :bigsmile:

I already have a perfect load for my XDM 40 using titegroup that I will stick with. I will see if anybody wants the powder.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Caveman Jim wrote:
Thank goodness I went to the RCBS collet pullers exclusively last year, my days of pounding hammers are over… :bigsmile:

Ahhhhh . . . I assumed that you were using a hammer puller.

I haven't used the RCBS puller, but looking at YouTube videos it looks pretty slick, probably better than my Hornady collet puller for short/fat pistol bullets.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
Thank goodness I went to the RCBS collet pullers exclusively last year, my days of pounding hammers are over… :bigsmile:

Ahhhhh . . . I assumed that you were using a hammer puller.

I haven't used the RCBS puller, but looking at YouTube videos it looks pretty slick, probably better than my Hornady collet puller for short/fat pistol bullets.

There is a place for the kinetic pullers but this ain’t one of those.
I’ll get a rhythm going soon enough.
It’s sad though that everyone of these rounds have been spot on as far as length and powder weight.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, i'm not sure how you'd do it any faster than with the setup you've got, Jim. I have a progressive press, but I basically use it like a single stage when I'm using the collet puller -- put one cartridge in, pull the handle, do my thing with the bullet puller, lower the handle, remove the cartridge, rinse and repeat.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Well, i'm not sure how you'd do it any faster than with the setup you've got, Jim. I have a progressive press, but I basically use it like a single stage when I'm using the collet puller -- put one cartridge in, pull the handle, do my thing with the bullet puller, lower the handle, remove the cartridge, rinse and repeat.

I was thinking if someone had an automated press or something like that… :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, there aren’t many people that fuck up badly enough to need an automated bullet-pulling system.

Maybe send Sinus211 a PM…?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next