Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Primer Pocket Swager Bench Tool 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well folks I'm going to invest in a better swaging tool because the RCBS Press mounted swagger is a PITA.
I've narrowed it down to a Dillon or RCBS. I know many are partial to the big blue but would like to hear about the RCBS model.
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:48 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Dillon is the benchmark for primer pocket swaggers.

No experience with the RCBS bench mount model.

When I bought a swagger, I simply bought the best one IMO.... :bigsmile:

I actually bought 2 Dillons . One is setup for small primer and one for large primers.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Nitro, I've used the super swager once, maybe it was worn out because I had some that crunched primers and I didn't rush the process.
Just looking for variety to make my decision (buy once cry once).

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:40 pm

Caveman Jim wrote:
Thanks Nitro, I've used the super swager once, maybe it was worn out because I had some that crunched primers and I didn't rush the process.
Just looking for variety to make my decision (buy once cry once).

I 100% understand.
I wish I could offer you a first hand comparison but I can't.

Let us know which way you go.

As a side note, my Dillons have NEVER caused any issues when properly set up.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are welcome to take my Dillon for a test drive before you commit. It’s setup right.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nitro_Guns wrote:

Agreed. Since I've had the Dillon 600 Super Swage, I've bought a couple of other things to try, to see if they were easier. They weren't.

Two things I've learned with the Dillon:

1) Get a primer pocket gauge and use it. Adjust the Dillon to remove the crimp, but no more. Don't use the "if a little swage is good, more must be better" approach that I have used for many years. I have a thread to provide that it isn't.

2) I bought these for .223 and .308. They aren't necessary, but I've found them to be helpful: https://inlinefabrication.com/collectio ... perswage-1

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
You are welcome to take my Dillon for a test drive before you commit. It’s setup right.

I may take you up on that offer. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the comments guys, I’ll report back with my choice when I make it. :thumbsup2:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:

Agreed. Since I've had the Dillon 600 Super Swage, I've bought a couple of other things to try, to see if they were easier. They weren't.

Two things I've learned with the Dillon:

1) Get a primer pocket gauge and use it. Adjust the Dillon to remove the crimp, but no more. Don't use the "if a little swage is good, more must be better" approach that I have used for many years. I have a thread to provide that it isn't.

2) I bought these for .223 and .308. They aren't necessary, but I've found them to be helpful: https://inlinefabrication.com/collectio ... perswage-1

Thanks for the info and link Steve. :wagwoot:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:00 pm

I have the Dillion 600 Super swager. I used the press swager for all of a month and hated it. Dillion 600 is well worth it.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what did you get Caveman?

I have two or three of the press RCBS staggers, garbage in my opinion.

I bought one new Dillon swagger and two used Dillon staggers from Mark down in Olympia.
I have one set up for 223, one set up for 308 and a extra one just because that's the way I do things.
I always like to have extra on all of my reloading equipment.
I just bought a extra - extra set of 223 RCBS dies.
I probably have three extra sets of 223 dies already, but now I have another extra set.
I run two single stage Hornaday Lock n Load presses, have an extra one of those as well along with three or four RCBS Rockchucker presses along with lots of extra primers & powder.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well Patrick, I made a major decision regarding my reloading components. You see, I had too damn many .223/5.56 cases, is that even fathomable? I opted to borrow a Dillon 600 from @mycyclonegt here and decided to swage 3000 LC cases and sell the remaining 4000. Plus I’m downsizing for the upcoming move next year or two.
The 600 did a fantastic job for me and if I decide to do more then I’ll just borrow another as I doubt I’ll need to purchase one.

Hoping to touch bases with you and Mason on the 1st!!! :bigsmile:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dillon, and automate it with a rubber band. 1,000 pieces goes by pretty quick. Set up a cardboard box or rubbermaid bin to catch the swaged brass. The video below is with 20 Tactical brass; the larger 223 and up go a little faster to fit them on the swaging rod.

Also, just a tip on the Dillon - those Inline Fabrication pieces are a nice addition, but I just drilled and tapped mine for a set screw on either side to do the same thing. Both methods work well and are cheap enough.

https://i.imgur.com/i1V5yCX.mp4 (anyone know how to get this to play right in the message?)

Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed, that’s how I set it up, fun fun fun… :thumbsup2:[

attachment=0]CB02A032-D34B-4E3A-8D2F-85280E1D1528.jpeg[/attachment]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where are you planning on moving to?

Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have been looking at the hills in Oklahoma, southern Missouri and northern Arkansas. Lots of nice places to live like a king after I sell this place. :thumbsup2:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next