Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Annealing brass 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

One of my key "secrets" to my accuracy.... :wink05:

Just be aware Caveman Jim that there are several steps to consistent accuracy.
Annealing was the final step on my latest build.
I spent a lot of time, effort and $$$ to get my loads dialed for my guns.
Individual results may vary.... :bigsmile:
Just to be clear....I load mainly for my bolt action rifles.

You are starting down a fun path that can be frustrating at times.
One big key to success is DOCUMENT everything during your range session and load development.

ENJOY my friend.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:

One big key to success is DOCUMENT everything during your range session and load development.

ENJOY my friend.....

This, X10. Annealing is only one small piece of the puzzle, not even the biggest one by a long shot, and certainly not a magic bullet. But, still worth doing right if a guy is trying to get the best out of the system.

BTW another method for cleaning lube from brass (works for lanolin or most others) - I just dump the cases in a large jar with some laquer thinner. Shake it around gently to rinse the brass, and drain it out. The cases dry out in a pan pretty quick, although I usually light it and let the excess burn off, only takes 30 sec or so that way. I re-use the laquer thinner a few times. Pretty easy and fast.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:

ENJOY my friend.....

Thanks for the heads up. I’m not going to go overboard with my quest to get better groups since I’m on a tight budget.
I just want my reloads to be the best that I can produce and brass prep is a big part to achieve that success.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:

ENJOY my friend.....

This, X10. Annealing is only one small piece of the puzzle, not even the biggest one by a long shot, and certainly not a magic bullet. But, still worth doing right if a guy is trying to get the best out of the system.

Indeed, I’m just trying to produce the best loads that I can.

BTW another method for cleaning lube from brass (works for lanolin or most others) - I just dump the cases in a large jar with some laquer thinner. Shake it around gently to rinse the brass, and drain it out. The cases dry out in a pan pretty quick, although I usually light it and let the excess burn off, only takes 30 sec or so that way. I re-use the laquer thinner a few times. Pretty easy and fast.

Been using Heet with a spray nozzle and spraying them down and wiping them off but doing 500-750 at a time a lot get missed. I’m going to pick up some tomorrow, THANKS.

A second cleaning does the trick… :bigsmile:

Attachment:
90E1F540-98C7-40AB-8567-26A243F00224.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really SIMPLE cleaning, warm water in the sink, few splashes of regular store bought lemon juice and a good squirt of dishwashing soap. (Wife buys a new container of lemon juice for fish dinner and then I take the leftover so I've got plenty to toss in wet tumbler and post Annealing/sizing)
Wash around really good getting hands and brass clean, pull sink drain and rinse handfuls of brass tossing them in a cake pan, toss cake pan in oven on low setting and go take a 2 hour nap. Brass clean!
This process also takes the annealing color off the brass, if you've got an issue for spotless and shinny brass, I do.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Really SIMPLE cleaning, warm water in the sink, few splashes of regular store bought lemon juice and a good squirt of dishwashing soap. (Wife buys a new container of lemon juice for fish dinner and then I take the leftover so I've got plenty to toss in wet tumbler and post Annealing/sizing)
Wash around really good getting hands and brass clean, pull sink drain and rinse handfuls of brass tossing them in a cake pan, toss cake pan in oven on low setting and go take a 2 hour nap. Brass clean!
This process also takes the annealing color off the brass, if you've got an issue for spotless and shinny brass, I do.

Good tip. I’ve gone as far as filling a gallon jug using warm water, Dawn, Limi-shine and zip car wash/wax and shaking the snot out of it for a half hour. They came out nice and shiny, then I bought the large FA wet tumbler w/SS pins, lotta work but well worth the outcome of shiny new looking brass.
My cleaning station
Attachment:
6F658683-E5BD-43AA-8723-C31441A81DF7.jpeg

Attachment:
BEC3E875-D780-4A04-870C-45482515D524.jpeg

Thanks for all of the useful information provided on this subject, you guys are GREAT!!! :thumbsup2:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I clean pistol brass in wet tumbler, rinse and dry.
I don't lube pistol brass. Resize with the carbide dies and done until time to load, no lube.
Necked cases are a different story. But I just went through 950+ case's of 300WM wet tumbling with lemon juice and dishwashing soap then dry, anneal, size and trim with lube, wash with lemon juice, dishwasher soap and dry.
Not counting leaving 400+ case's in each tumbler load overnight, doubtful I have more than more than 5 hours doing 2 years worth of 300wm brass ready to load. Albeit I have a good couple of hours sitting watching TV while inspecting that last load of brass for bad brass and checking in case gauge, only tossed 5 cases.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:28 pm

I have never annealed and I still have a good hundred 30-06 cases with 39 head stamps. Even when resizing to make say .308 out of mauser brass and making mauser brass out of 30-06.

If I get some cracked case mouths in 5.56 I convert them to 300BO problem solved. Really wangered stuff in .308 0r 30-06 or .270 or what ever goes to .44 Auto Mag.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
I don't lube pistol brass. Resize with the carbide dies and done until time to load, no lube.

If you load on a progressive press, lubing pistol cases is helpful even with carbide dies. It just makes the process go smoother. It's not about "have to", it's about "better".

Personally I only use carbide dies for pistol, as most of us do these days, but still lube all of my pistol brass (since it's all loaded on a progressive press). The reduced effort and smoother operation is a benefit that you might have to try for yourself in order to realize.

On a single stage it's probably not worthwhile since it's such a slow process anyway.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the good advice folks, I will take that all under advisement. Y’all are some Purty fart smellers (smart fellers). :bigsmile:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2