Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wife has okayed starting to reload! 

I have been reloading for 30 years. I wore out a RCBS Reloader 3 and now have a RCBS Rock Chucker and a Lee Load Master that I cuss at when I need to load a big batch. You will always find a need for a good single stage press especially so if you use rage brass. Even some 9mm has crimped in primers or cases with steps inside that can jamb up a progressive press so I deprime and size on a single stage. Someone here probably have a good deal for you but you can start with a reloading manual or two so you can be aware of powers that will work so what you are out and about you can recognize powders that will work for you.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

hartcreek wrote:
Even some 9mm has crimped in primers or cases with steps inside that can jamb up a progressive press so I deprime and size on a single stage.

I don’t understand this.

When I sort my brass, I separate those cases with crimped primers or internal steps. But even if some make it through, how do those “jam up” a progressive press? My press won’t even notice them, except that when I go to seat a new primer it may be difficult or impossible. If that happens, I reach in, remove the offending case, and then keep cranking.

But even if you choose to size and deprime separately, for whatever reasons, isn’t it easier to run them through the progressive (with auto-eject and maybe a case feeder) than to use a single stage?

Or are you using a single stage just as another opportunity to handle and inspect each case, and it’s not really about the press itself…?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I started 6 years ago I went right to progressive reloading because I was (we were...boys and wife) shooting mostly pistol. Even though many said "start with single before progressive " I jumped right into it. I locked the garage door with strict rules that NO ONE interrupt me while I learned the trade.

I was a machinist in a former life so I had confidence that research and careful management would prevail good bullets. Other than a couple of "pepper shakers" (cleaning primer pockets too much...primer didn't hold) I've not had a bad round yet.

My current inventory is roughly 15k rounds in 18 calibers. So I believe I've roughly loaded around 45k-60k rounds. (Pistol, Rifle. and Black Powder Rifle Cartridge) Then I expanded into casting and powder coating. I couldn't get enough! Research research and research consumed my life !

That said...I suggest people start out on straight wall cartridges first before moving to bottlenecked. You'll make mistakes along the way no matter what your quality con trolling standards are. The ability to IDENTIFY IMMEDIATELY what .mistake you made in the reloading room is the difference between correcting an issue or losing a firearm on the range....or worse yet...damage to your body.
Listen..learn...improve. and when you're pulling bullets because of a mistake you made...document it in your reloading journal!

Okay..more edits....

Since we cant all afford pressure gauge testing I want to say that a GOOD chrono will give you some science to your reloading. Using a ladder test or modified ladder will get you into the area that your pistols or rifles like. Documenting groups, using apps to assist you can really dial your loads in for a particular rifle. And they tell you if you might be pushing them too hard. FPS do NOT indicate pressure but they give you a ballpark estimate.

If you get into match grade rounds...an Ogive tool will help you achieve some awesome rounds.

My Texas buddy took a nice Cow Elk in New Mexico with some of my match grade thumper 30-06 cartridges last Jan.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MurphyEF wrote:
But my only experience was with 12ga more than 15 years ago.

I'm looking for info from you experts and experienced folks out here.

Sorry fella, but you picked a terrible time to get into this. Honestly, the worst possible time in at least the last 30 years, maybe ever. I load pretty much everything I shoot, but would not get into it now if I didn't already have everything I need.

Powder is scarce and very limited selection, but primers are nearly impossible to find unless you happen to get lucky. Those of us who already reload are mostly just using our existing stock of primers, while trying to pick up the odd brick here and there when possible. All indications from the industry are that it's going to continue this way for at least a couple years, and probably will not return to the previous "normal" ever.

I'm not a "doom and gloom" kind of guy, but if you can't find primers, don't bother buying the rest of the stuff. You're a lot better off spending that same money on ammo right now, it's a lot more expensive than a couple years ago but at least it's available for the most part.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2