Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dryer sheets for cleaning media? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was trying to find the thread about this but my attempts have failed me, caveman google food is bad today.
Anyways, I just got a bunch from my neighbor lady today.
How long and how many do I use?
Thanks in advance.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a used one when media is new to collect the dust. After that its a splash of mineral spirits and NuFinish polish every now and then. Media is cheap, I change it when its dirty.

Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just rinse the stainless steel pins off and call it good

Dryer sheets certainly aren’t going to make them feel softer and I don’t see how making them smell nice will help

Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim my friend here you go, I for some reason knew who did this..... /viewtopic.php?f=40&t=49269&hilit=+dryer+sheets+media

:thumbsup2:

Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:42 pm

cmica you missed with the link that is mostly on using ultra sonic. You use a used dryer sheet to collect dust every time you tumble with dry media.

Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
I just rinse the stainless steel pins off and call it good

Dryer sheets certainly aren’t going to make them feel softer and I don’t see how making them smell nice will help

:ROFLMAO:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
Jim my friend here you go, I for some reason knew who did this..... /viewtopic.php?f=40&t=49269&hilit=+dryer+sheets+media

:thumbsup2:

Thanks brother, Steve nailed it saying they are used for dust control. For some reason I was thinking that dryer sheets were used to clean the dry media. icon_eek

Thanks to all who gave their 2cents. :bow:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
cmica you missed with the link that is mostly on using ultra sonic. You use a used dryer sheet to collect dust every time you tumble with dry media.

For the most part yes, that’s what the link was talking about, although Steve touched on this subject in his post about walnut media, that’s what I was looking for.
A few months ago I switched to corncob in both my Thumlers since I ran out of walnut but I’ll get some next week.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:56 am

Caveman Jim wrote:
I was trying to find the thread about this but my attempts have failed me, caveman google food is bad today.
Anyways, I just got a bunch from my neighbor lady today.
How long and how many do I use?
Thanks in advance.

I’ve done this since before anyone said anything. 1 in the middle every couple sessions and works great.

Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll have to give this a try.

Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:54 am

hartcreek wrote:
I save all the dryer sheets from drying clothes. Typically cut each sheet into 4 pieces and toss them in the tumbler. Takes care of static build-up that sometimes happens with the media, and also collects up a bunch of the dust.

Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mtnwkr wrote:
I use a used one when media is new to collect the dust. After that its a splash of mineral spirits and NuFinish polish every now and then. Media is cheap, I change it when its dirty.

Go to a pet store and get lizard bedding. It’s even cheaper. Dusty as heck, but a couple dryer sheets help. I’ve never had to pick out media from a flash hole either.

Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:03 pm

Put a piece of a dryer sheet in your dry tumbler to reduce static electricity. If you use a media separator like the Dillon or Frankfurt Arsenal over a bucket there are always pieces of corn cob or walnut hulls that stick to the side of the bucket when you pour the media back into the tumbler. The piece of dryer sheet will reduce this static and pick up brass shavings, dirt, etc. If dirty when you remove cases from the rotary basket, just replace with new piece of dryer sheet.

Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaud, or stay seated and cry?

Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the help, tips and pertinent information folks. :thumbsup2:

When I bring in range pickups I’ll sort by caliber then ad to separate containers util full then throw em in the vibratory tumblers.
When I sort 223/556 by headstamps, I’ll keep the LC, PMC, PSD for personal use and wet clean w/SS pins after prepping. Then bag em and put into the “KEEP” cabinet for safe keeping. :thumbsup2:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:
mtnwkr wrote:

Go to a pet store and get lizard bedding. It’s even cheaper. Dusty as heck, but a couple dryer sheets help. I’ve never had to pick out media from a flash hole either.

yep, thats what I use, but I get it on Amazon.

Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next