Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My New Giraud Case Trimmer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dougja wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Interesting gadget there, Doug. I haven't seen that before . . . very nice!

I understand how it will fit your brass to your chamber, but I don't understand how it would make the brass more consistent. If my die is set in the same spot for two pieces of brass, won't those two pieces of brass be the same? And therefore they should trim to the same length with the Giraud?

I agree. Scratch my head . The press is the only other variable I can think of. I know you have a quality press, but is it rock solid secure?

This may be a question for Giraud Tool Co. For me the two factors were knowing my shoulder set back was consistent and quality of the press set up. The Lee die was fine.

To your point.... " If my die is set in the same spot for two pieces of brass, won't those two pieces of brass be the same? And therefore they should trim to the same length with the Giraud?" In theory yes. I should bring the shoulder set back tool up there to measure the two pieces of brass and make sure they are "the same".

It will get easier.... I went thru the same things. I found my "groove" in a few things I do ... I only use Lake City brass for consistency, I set up using the shoulder set back measuring tool and I use a rock solid press. Maybe they are all shots in the dark but it ended up working for me.

You should be able to get near perfect results with any brass, I just got tired of screwing around with really short once fired brass and such. I find Lake City much more consistent and easier to get my desired results.

I will bring the tool up next week. It might not be the answer but it will at least help us understand one more variable.

Stay with it!

I shoot Black Powder cartridge competetively in the sill o wet matches out to 500 meters. I have found that even with a tight match chamber, the brass can, and will, stretch differently due to the way it is placed in the chamber. I Shoot Sharps and Hiwall single shot. I notch the rim of the case slightly. When inserting the case I make certain that the notch is at the 12:00 position. This reduces the amount of inconsistancy with case stretch. Why? No matter how good your chamber specs are, the case will always lie on the bottom of the chamber, leaving a minute gap on top. Now when fired, the case will get a very slight oval shape, to completely fill the chamber. Next time loaded, if the notch is in a different position, the case will flow differently causing more stretch.
Hope that helps explain a bit.
Jim

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, that makes A LOT of sense.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is why competetive shooters who are in the top % only neck size the cases. With a straight case such as the 45-70, I never resize them and use a slip fit ( about .002 neck tension) for the projectile.

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trigger Dr wrote:
This is why competetive shooters who are in the top % only neck size the cases. With a straight case such as the 45-70, I never resize them and use a slip fit ( about .002 neck tension) for the projectile.

A "Neck Sizing is more accurate than F/L Sizing" claim can usually trigger a long discussion. There are varying opinions, even among those "at the top" of the competitive shooting community. Taking an objective look at the two practices, When one is properly Full Length Sizing a case they are only pushing the shoulder back a couple thousandths from the fired dimension. The rest of the case is squeezed in another couple of thousandths. This "clearance" is instantly reduced to ZERO when the round is fired.

Competitive shooters are often using rifles with custom chambers. They don't have the usual "slop" that a factory rifle has machined into it so it will accept the largest rounds produced for that caliber. They Neck Size primarily to extend the life of their brass which in many cases has been carefully matched for volumes and weight. Anything more than neck sizing is an unnecessary working of the brass thus shortening its life which in their case can be a major investment of money and time. And then you have the "lazy factor". Many competitive shooters like to neck size because the lube required is minimal. A small smear of Imperial Sizing wax on the neck, through the neck size die, and a quick wipe to remove the lube is all that's required. No lube if using a Lee Collet Die which only neck sizes. Beats having to put the full length sized die through a complete cleaning process or tedious wipe-down.

How much accuracy is attributable to Neck Sizing vs F/L sizing depends on who you talk to, even among the "greats".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I trimmed 600 pieces of 7.62x54R brass in about 45 minutes last night, and I'm going to tackle a few hundred .303 cases this morning.

Have I mentioned lately that I love this Giraud trimmer?! :mulletslayer:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:49 am

Watching the video of your Giraud......very sweet. Does it come set up to trim .223 to 1.750" (or maybe 1.740"?) or is it adjustable so you can set it to your preference? Just can't tell by looking how it functions. I am assuming that there is a rod down the middle of the case that keeps the length correct?

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scooter567 wrote:
Watching the video of your Giraud......very sweet. Does it come set up to trim .223 to 1.750" (or maybe 1.740"?) or is it adjustable so you can set it to your preference? Just can't tell by looking how it functions. I am assuming that there is a rod down the middle of the case that keeps the length correct?

No, there is no rod.

Basically, you drop the case into the case holder; the case holder basically looks like a case gauge, or the chamber in the gun; the shoulder on the case prevents it from dropping through. To change your trim length, just screw the case holder up or down, and that will change the trim length since the cutter blade is fixed.

This is why you can generally only do bottleneck cases in the Giraud. I say "generally" because I'm also set up to do .30 carbine with it, though it requires a special case holder.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reviving an old thread . . . just because I'm still loving the Giraud. :bigsmile:

I finished up a batch of Lake City .308 brass tonight. I'm working on perfecting my two-handed technique that I learned from watching Master Jake at the Sagewa Temple of Brass. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy6lv-qmQys

The trimming tonight was very consistent. All of the brass is the same headstamp, and they all seemed to be in a 0.002" band. thumbsup

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:10 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buy a second Giraud, double that speed.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have had a Giraud for the past 10 years....Like the saying goes, buy the best and never look back....however, I found that for best consistency I also need to anneal my cases...so there goes another $500...but after all it is only money,,,,(and self satisfaction of being the best you can be).

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:06 pm

Giruad nows makes another variation of their case trimmer, they call it the "Tri-Way Trimmer". You place it in a drill press or use a suitable drill to spin it. The Tri-Way performs basically the same as the unit posted by the OP, except you supply the power source and each one is caliber specific. I used mine for the first time today, it cost $114 shipped to my door directly from Giruad... I bought 2000+ Lake City 5.56 cases and want to process them as efficently as I can.

https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html

The video below is not me, but it shows the tool in operation... There are other videos of the tool online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-nYYsRlxk

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:16 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

catfishmoon wrote:
Giruad nows makes another variation of their case trimmer, they call it the "Tri-Way Trimmer".

Yup, and I've heard good things about the Tri-Way, and it's absolutely the answer for some people.

Doug Giraud told me the following when I asked about the Tri-Way in 2015:

Doug Giraud wrote:
It is intended only for high volume milsurp and super popular stuff. As a rule of thumb, if you can’t find the ammo and a rifle in that size at Walmart, it won’t be available in the Triway. It was developed for a different market than the high power shooter or serious marksman.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Reviving an old thread . . . just because I'm still loving the Giraud. :bigsmile:

I finished up a batch of Lake City .308 brass tonight. I'm working on perfecting my two-handed technique that I learned from watching Master Jake at the Sagewa Temple of Brass. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy6lv-qmQys

The trimming tonight was very consistent. All of the brass is the same headstamp, and they all seemed to be in a 0.002" band. thumbsup

How are those fingers doing after all that Brass? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
How are those fingers doing after all that Brass? :popcorn:

Haha, it's a serious topic actually . . . .

One of the things that I've learned over the last ten years is that reloading can be really hard on your body, usually because of the sheer repetition. That's actually what drove me to get the Giraud trimmer; I originally had an RCBS trimmer that I had hooked up a drill to, and even with the drill it was really brutal on the arms and shoulders when I had to trim hundreds (never mind thousands) of pieces of brass.

The Giraud is a LOT easier on the body, but yeah, when you're doing a lot then the fingers still get tired and cramped, and the vibration can cause my fingers to "buzz" a little too, which isn't good.

I've made a lot of changes around the press related to how I sit, where I place the bullets that I'm picking up to drop into the brass, and the handle that I use on the press . . . all to make it easier on the body.

Gotta preserve this perfect body, y'know. :wink05:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember that my fingers buzzed and got numb after trimming around 1500 with your Giraud, that's why I asked.
They were sore for a day or two, but totally worth it over manual trimming. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next