Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Brand new setup. Where do I start? 

Have you considered a Dillon 550C? I have an old B model and a Forster Co-Ax. The best part about the 550 is the support and parts available for it. Additionally, Unique Tek now sells a simple conversion kit that transforms any 550 into a single stage press. Two birds, one stone.

I had Lee, Hornady, RCBS in the past... It was either the color Blue or the competition circuit that steered me towards Dillon. There is a good reason 94+% of competition shooters (in USPSA) use Dillon.

My next machine will be a Mark 7 Revolution... Gotta sell all the guns first...

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Calipers, and at some point case trimmer. If you go the progressive route you will also need a primer flip tray, and pick up tubes. The Dillon 550 is a great machine, would not talk anyone out of it but if you're on a budget right now it might not be the best option.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:49 pm

But, just to throw it out there is someone here selling 550's for $350 also the plus side to Dillon is the lifetime warranty, even if bought used fished out of the bottom of a lake.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you do get a progressive, look into the frankford arsenal primer fill tool. Pick up tubes are a pain, this makes it much quicker.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:10 pm

I'm looking at a 550B that marcusp has for sale, and a single-stage press for both learning, and precision.
Unique Tek look like they have a bunch of interesting products, but I'll need to do some research about them.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

marcusp is a cool guy..

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:
I'm looking at a 550B that marcusp has for sale, and a single-stage press for both learning, and precision.
Unique Tek look like they have a bunch of interesting products, but I'll need to do some research about them.
I would highly recommend this route. I started with a Lee Turret press but eventually got the 550B. The difference in quality is huge. The 550B is faster, smoother, and will load more accurate ammunition than the Lee. On the Lee turret there is significantly more play in the turret than on the toolhead for the 550B. The turret on the Lee noticeably tilts and wobbles. The toolhead (holds the dies, is equivalent part to the turret) on the 550B has virtually no play, and no noticeable (to me) tilt or wobble.

My 223 loads went from 2-3 MOA to less than 1/2 MOA in the same rifle with the same load. Really no comparison.

Yes, I'm drinking the blue koolaid. However, that is based on my experience with both products. Your mileage may vary.

Edit to add that marcusp is a stand up guy and an excellent resource for reloading in general add well as Dillon products. When I bought my 550B from him he showed me how to set it up and use it. Doesn't get better than one on one hands on training.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Also, if you are going to reload 556 brass research before you do so. It is not the same as 223 brass.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have my Hollywood turret and my progressive LnL bolted down to a black locust (HARD) bench top. Over on the shotshell bench is a thick plywood top and I just screw my MEC single and MEC progressive down with the screw gun. That way I can move them or use one at a time if I like.

I have an RCBS single stage with a Lee decapping die for popping primers out prior to wet tumbling cases. I like nice shiny clean cases going into my sizing dies.

I also like a hand primer for anything I do single stage or on the turret press.

Most important I think is layout, shelves, bins, drawers, boxes, cans, bowls etc. I like to buy old Stainless steel kitchen bowls at garage sales for use in the reload room. Its easy to grab shells n bu;lets out of round bottom steel bowls.

Yogurt cans, coffee cans, whip cream tubs, margarine tubs etc all make great containers to sort brass. Sometimes Ill come home from the range with 6 different caliber cases in a bucket and sort them all.

I also have TV in the upper corner of the room. Most will advise against it cuz it breaks concentration during important steps. I usually load during the commercials and watch during sorting, cleaning and organizing.

I recently bought a large 3 ring binder and clear slip in pages to put all my recipe charts, bushing charts, manuals labels, etc into. Makes it much nicer when looking that certain paper or instructions when needed.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
I recently bought a large 3 ring binder and clear slip in pages to put all my recipe charts, bushing charts, manuals labels, etc into. Makes it much nicer when looking that certain paper or instructions when needed.

nice idea with the slip in pages, i need to get some of those.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2