Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brand new setup. Where do I start? 

I managed to free up a bit of cash and I get to start building the reloading setup.

Primarily, I need to reload 6mm Creedmoor. The problem is that I shoot that round (second) least. I shoot more .223 than 6mm Creedmoor, and I shoot more .45 ACP and 9x19 than I shoot .223. The round I have that I shoot the least is .303 British.

I need to be able to reload 6mm Creedmoor. I strongly want to reload .45 ACP and 9x19. I want to reload .223. I'd like to be able to reload .303. The 6mm Creedmoor is for precision. The .303 could be, too. Everything else is plinking ammo, and I'll do it in bulk (or... several iterations of doing some before I next shoot).

I have a checklist of stuff to buy, that I've mostly cross-checked with marcusp, before my financial adviser advised me that it was not yet prudent to buy. I have a wishlist at midwayusa with what I know to be missing. I don't need to buy from midway - it's just the place I'm using for tracking:

• Single Stage press
  • Scale
  • Powder meaure
  • Priming tool
  • Case loading block
  • Case lube kit
  • Powder funnel
  • Chamfer and deburring tool
  • Dies (I have .223 and .303 dies already from a friend's clear out).
  • Powder trickler (optional)
  • Bullet puller (I have a bunch of hang-fire practice .303, and I assume I'll make a mistake, too)
  • Shell holders
  • Bullet comparator and inserts
  • Primers
  • Powder

I *think* this is enough to get going with the loading. I know I lack case cleaning stuff. I know I haven't remembered some of the stuff I already have, so there's a cross-check to be done amongst that, tonight. I've also seen some photos where people have certain bits of equipment bolted to the table - the press, for definite. Is it sufficient to bolt that to some wood, and have a coupe of large G clamps to clamp the wood to the table, or drill a couple of holes for bolts for that?

So, for those that have done this before - what am I missing? What don't I know that I don't know? What would you recommend? Are there any current deals I should know about?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First- buy a manual.

Then recognize that a single stage press is *great* for accuracy but awful for volume. Doing the pistol cartridges on it will be a chore but the rifle cartridges will be great. Consider the RCBS Rock Chucker.

I personally like the Lee Classic Turret press as a compromise between a single stage and a progressive. This is what I currently use for my low volume stuff and is sufficient for my needs - I'm positive that it's loading ammo better than I can shoot it, but to each his own.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 am

I have a manual. Actually, I have 2. Lyman 39th, and one other that I got around the new year.

I do recognize that a single stage is bad for volume, but I also have relatively long times between range trips, so 5 sittings of 100 rounds per sitting to make 500 rounds of 9mm is not a problem. The question is, what's the monetary trade-off? If I can spend an extra 100 bucks to make it useful for volume then I can consider that (possibly later, though. Maybe earlier if I make my wife load 100 rounds).

How is a turret not just a progressive?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 am

WanderingWalrus wrote:
I know I lack case cleaning stuff.

Get the harbor freight rock tumbler and some stainless pins off ebay.

WanderingWalrus wrote:
How is a turret not just a progressive?

A turret lets you keep a few dies set up and choose which to use. Very useful for a do-all type press and you can get close to progressive speeds if you include set up time for the progressive.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check out this thread too:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=88916

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, get a turret. I have a lee classic, and I have 6 turrets setup for it.
Right now, it's not worth it to load 9 (if your goal is cost saving).
I would still load pistol, because it's about consistency for me, not cost saving.
The lee turret is not expensive. The problem with a single stage is that you have to take out the die and then reset it every time you change to a different stage (decap/size, bell, seat, crimp)
A turret can't quite do everything that a progressive can do in one setup. The other difference is that with a progressive, you get a finished round with every pull. On a turret, you'll get a finished round with 3 or 4 pulls.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and dont forget, me meticulous about measuring powder... and have fun!

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
I would still load pistol, because it's about consistency for me, not cost saving.
The lee turret is not expensive. The problem with a single stage is that you have to take out the die and then reset it every time you change to a different stage (decap/size, bell, seat, crimp)
A turret can't quite do everything that a progressive can do in one setup. The other difference is that with a progressive, you get a finished round with every pull. On a turret, you'll get a finished round with 3 or 4 pulls.

I disagree about 9mm because I can load 9mm for $93 per thousand... The best I've seen brass cased 9mm at is $179. $86 for 3 hours aint bad considering there is no income tax on that $86 and I'm in my man-shed listening to tunes without the wife adding to the honey do list.
I do:
.45 acp for $135 per K
.357 mag for $155 per K
.44 mag for $180 per K
.223 for $180 per K (bang for buck this is the worst caliber I reload)
Bang for buck the magnum loads are the biggest savings.
Turrets are great for handgun loads but I've found with .223 I have to use my Dillon 550B a little different than Dillon says in order to get +/- .0005 OAL. If I use it like I do for 9mm I am lucky to get +/-.007 The bullet seating has to be done without any other loading station populated for a consistent gnats ass round.
I look at reloading as my time is free because I'm not sitting on my ass watching TV. There is huge money to be saved!! I've probably reloaded 150,000 rounds easily saving between $80 and $350 per thousand. Do the math, even after the cost of the equipment I've saved close to 20 grand which means I've got to shoot an extra 20 grand worth of ammo :thumbsup2:
Shooting is a passion, reloading enables me to shoot a shitload more for the same money. I buy everything in bulk and usually on sale (black Friday is a huge purchase) but I don't save a dime because I shoot my savings :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
Duke EB wrote:

I disagree about 9mm because I can load 9mm for $93 per thousand... The best I've seen brass cased 9mm at is $179. $86 for 3 hours aint bad considering there is no income tax on that $86 and I'm in my man-shed listening to tunes without the wife adding to the honey do list.
I do:
.45 acp for $135 per K
.357 mag for $155 per K
.44 mag for $180 per K
.223 for $180 per K (bang for buck this is the worst caliber I reload)
Bang for buck the magnum loads are the biggest savings.
Turrets are great for handgun loads but I've found with .223 I have to use my Dillon 550B a little different than Dillon says in order to get +/- .0005 OAL. If I use it like I do for 9mm I am lucky to get +/-.007 The bullet seating has to be done without any other loading station populated for a consistent gnats ass round.
I look at reloading as my time is free because I'm not sitting on my ass watching TV. There is huge money to be saved!! I've probably reloaded 150,000 rounds easily saving between $80 and $350 per thousand. Do the math, even after the cost of the equipment I've saved close to 20 grand which means I've got to shoot an extra 20 grand worth of ammo :thumbsup2:
Shooting is a passion, reloading enables me to shoot a shitload more for the same money. I buy everything in bulk and usually on sale (black Friday is a huge purchase) but I don't save a dime because I shoot my savings :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Yep, that's decent money! I haven't really looked at the prices of 9 these days because I load. That was the impression I got from other places and posts.
You're absolutely right about the saving money, I just shoot more!! That's worth a lot! :thumbsup2:

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks for the answers so far.

I have added to the list an RCBS lock-out die, because it'll work with everything I want to reload (I believe), and it's an extra check against me getting it wrong.

Does everyone bolt their press down, somehow?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can prime on the press and save buying a separate tool. After cleaning I size and prime. I have a rock chucker without the primer feeder, it’s on my list though.

I’d add a universal depriming die if you’re going to wet tumble. Lee makes one for ~$10. No sense in cleaning used primers and if you have to swag the primer pockets it’s best if they are clean.

I’m still loading 9 on a single stage. It’s not fast at all but like you I have the time. I’m only loading 147gn subs right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:35 pm

You want to purchase a kit which color is up to you. Do not worry about the speed that it takes to adjust a die in a single stage press because once you learn how to do it correctly you can do it in a few seconds to a minute with a seating/crimping die. Learn the technique. My first press kit was RCBS Reloader 3. when I wore that press out I already had a second hand Rcck Chucker to bolt in its place. I can not answser on thing about a turret press since I have not used one but for those that have can you form cases on a turret press? If you can then that would probably be the best way for you to go.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:

I have added to the list an RCBS lock-out die, because it'll work with everything I want to reload (I believe), and it's an extra check against me getting it wrong.

As for bolting the press down I have mine setup on the front right hand corner of my reloading bench. I just use a couple of C Clamps because I like the ability to move the press out of the way when I'm doing other gun stuff like milling out a new lower or building an AR. :thumbsup2:

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:50 am

Excellent. That's what I'm looking at doing. Thank you.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
WanderingWalrus wrote:

As for bolting the press down I have mine setup on the front right hand corner of my reloading bench. I just use a couple of C Clamps because I like the ability to move the press out of the way when I'm doing other gun stuff like milling out a new lower or building an AR. :thumbsup2:

I have two presses, a lee classic turret, and a hornady lock and load progressive. They are on two separate benches. I use C clamps like Classic for the the turret, but I did bolt the progressive down.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next