Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Coated bullets.... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered a package of SNS castings 158 GR coated LSWC bullets and am working on a recipe for 357 Mag and am wondering how much powder to use. I am using HP-38 for now.

Hodgdon Reloading has this recommendation for LSWC:
158 GR. CAST LSWC
Start: 3.4 @ 796
Max: 5.0 @ 1,109

They also state this for a plated bullet:
158 GR. HDY XTP:
Start: 6.2 @ 1,108
Max: 6.9 @ 1,220

SNS casting says about their coated bullets:
-Shoot higher velocities without lead fouling. We recommend 1,500fps or less (1,750fps in rifles)

I read this as I can user higher loads of powder (at least to 6.0 grains if not higher). Of course I'll start lower and work my way up.

What are your thoughts?

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My head isn't deep in the data but when I load hi-tek coated bullets I load them in the range of high lead to mid level full metal jacket. I would advise not starting at the lower levels of lead bullets but do what is comfortable for you and work up.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SNS is saying the velocity limit for their bullets is higher without leading problems. They are NOT saying you can just add more powder if a load is already at max pressure, for clarification in case anyone is unsure.

In this case though, it does look like that cast load is reduced to prevent leading, and you should be able to safely push it faster. You should be able to reach the same speed or sometimes faster than a similar weight jacketed bullet, BUT!! be aware of how much case capacity is occupied by the bullet. This is more important than the bullet weight when we're considering peak pressure, and some cast bullet designs take up a lot more case capacity than others.

As a general rule, use the same data for coated bullets as you would for the same lubed lead bullet. The exception is like this case where you can see the lead bullet data is reduced, as a lot of it is.

One further comment as a side note - SNS says their bullets are coated with HiTek coating, which makes sense after seeing their lower velocity limit than I expected. With polyester powder coated bullets though, you can shoot at much higher velocity without risk of leading. I use my own coated bullets in excess of 3,000 fps with no issues. I think the HiTek stuff is easier for a commercial operation to use, but in my own use I didn't find it to be as tough as powder coating.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for over 1000fps use a slower burning powder. i learned that about Bear Creek bullets.

Divided we fall.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks all. back to the books! ;)

Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
for over 1000fps use a slower burning powder. i learned that about Bear Creek bullets.

For actual powder coated bullets it doesn't matter. But the Bear Creek stuff is a little more sensitive, although still good bullets if you keep the velocity within reason.

Tue May 01, 2018 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]