Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Reloading equipment and tool questions from a newb! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay here goes.

Question #1: How the hell do you change the cutting head on the RCBS power case trimmer without F***ing it up?

Question #2: What grease are you using on your reloading equipment i.e. for lubing the press, power trimmer or any other repetitive moving parts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:41 pm

I wouldnt overthink the lubing of your press. People have used greases, oils, graphites and never had an issue. Whatever you use will be fine. Ive used TW-25 grease, oil, and the graphite and never had any issues.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:04 pm

I use lithium grease on my presses. I wore out a Reloader 3 by using lesser grease.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay gents, so I used my big boy hands (and some grippy rubber coated gloves) and was able to get the dag gone cutter blade broke loose. Now I can put my carbide cutter blade on there.

hartcreek wrote:
I use lithium grease on my presses. I wore out a Reloader 3 by using lesser grease.

I have a small tube of this that I've used on my gun slides, knife pivot points and AR barrel installations but found it to get a little gummy sometimes. Not sure I really like the lithium grease too much.

I used a few drops of gun oil on the ram of my press just to be safe but I don't want a shit load of dust and contaminants adhering to the lube either. My shop can get a bit dusty in the summer weather. I still think a grease would be better than oil for the lubrication points of the power case trimmer as pointed out by the RCBS owners manual.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:55 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

old11bravo wrote:
.I used a few drops of gun oil on the ram of my press just to be safe but I don't want a shit load of dust and contaminants adhering to the lube either. My shop can get a bit dusty in the summer weather. I still think a grease would be better than oil for the lubrication points of the power case trimmer as pointed out by the RCBS owners manual.

Same. I use a light 3-1 oil and clean it once or twice a season.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been useing Hornady One Shot in the spray can. I seen on another gun forum a YouTube video on making home made lube.

10 parts 99% alchohol ( auto heet in the red can ) and 10% liquid lanolin.

I bought a spray bottle and mixed some up and have been using it ever since. It's a lot cheaper.
I spray the ram on the press and wipe the crud off the ram with a paper towel then spray a little on for lubrication.

I am having an adapter made so I can use a cordless screw driver on my RCBS hand case trimmer.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]