Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:23 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Expiration date for MREs 
Author Message
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: tumwater
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013
Posts: 1999
Real Name: Kyle
So found an ok deal on some MREs on OfferUp asked when the expiration date is and was told that MREs do not have an expiration date just an inspection date and that as long as they are stored properly they don’t expire, when I was in the Marines I did a stint with distribution sending out pallets of MREs and was told optimum length was 7-10 years at ideal conditions. Am I wrong?

_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein


Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Renton
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018
Posts: 478
I have some military MREs and they don't have an expiration date. After some research, I learned there's a time/temp indicator on the boxes that you can use to figure out whether they're still good https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-shelf-life/


Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: tumwater
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013
Posts: 1999
Real Name: Kyle
TacticalTuna wrote:
I have some military MREs and they don't have an expiration date. After some research, I learned there's a time/temp indicator on the boxes that you can use to figure out whether they're still good https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-shelf-life/

I’ll have to look at that site, I know all mre cases have an inspection date which means the case should be either used or inspected by the date stamped

_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein


Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:31 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: On your six
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018
Posts: 404
There is nothing in them to expire.

_________________
There are seven days in a week.
Someday isn't one of them.


Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:39 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Maple Valley, WA
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7537
Real Name: Young
It’s all about storage.

Ideally MRE are made, stored a few and then used. In the military it’s a known quantity so they cycle that shit out often. Get new ones in - have some poor sailor, marine, soldier eat them. I think Air Force has a different version of a cross between hot meal and mid term storage type of food.

But back to your question. High long term exposure to heat will shorten the “edible” duration of an MRE. Stored in cool dry place... decades if you don’t mind parts of it going bad.

There are a few YouTube folks that will actually eat old MREs to let you know if it’s edible.

1992 Ham slices



But it’s all relative and based on how it has been stored and exposed to temp.


Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 1838
If it dont stink, EAT IT


Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: tumwater
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013
Posts: 1999
Real Name: Kyle
oldkim wrote:
It’s all about storage.

Ideally MRE are made, stored a few and then used. In the military it’s a known quantity so they cycle that shit out often. Get new ones in - have some poor sailor, marine, soldier eat them. I think Air Force has a different version of a cross between hot meal and mid term storage type of food.

But back to your question. High long term exposure to heat will shorten the “edible” duration of an MRE. Stored in cool dry place... decades if you don’t mind parts of it going bad.

There are a few YouTube folks that will actually eat old MREs to let you know if it’s edible.

1992 Ham slices



But it’s all relative and based on how it has been stored and exposed to temp.


I watched a channel where a guy would review MREs from around the world I really want to try the Russian or French or Israeli rations lol I watched the same dude eat hardtack from the civil war lol

_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein


Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:06 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Maple Valley, WA
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7537
Real Name: Young
https://youtu.be/_ZO7AS8Lrh8

Here’s the link for the 1992 Ham Slices


Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:52 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Graham
Joined: Tue Dec 2, 2014
Posts: 305
Real Name: Jon
Storage is key. You should be able to tell by the condition of the box and there is the indicator on most modern boxes. If you have a picture, I could tell you the generation and maybe hint at the quality. Expiration dates don’t exist and most will pass the reinspection but due to logistics most never make it there. Units throw away good MREs all the time because of this.


Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:55 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Puyallup
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011
Posts: 4569
Real Name: Sean
I need to do a stock up before the lizard people come


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
smfh


Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:12 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Auburn/Kent/Renton
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011
Posts: 721
Just curious, you guys think most are still buying MRE's or most have switched to freeze dried?

_________________
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.
It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan


NRA Certified RSO
NRA Life Member

Moloka'i Mo' Betta


Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:02 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: tumwater
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013
Posts: 1999
Real Name: Kyle
Blaze.45 wrote:
Just curious, you guys think most are still buying MRE's or most have switched to freeze dried?


Honestly I just like to eat them now and then lol guess I’m weird

_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein


Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:35 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: tumwater
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013
Posts: 1999
Real Name: Kyle
Yukonjon wrote:
Storage is key. You should be able to tell by the condition of the box and there is the indicator on most modern boxes. If you have a picture, I could tell you the generation and maybe hint at the quality. Expiration dates don’t exist and most will pass the reinspection but due to logistics most never make it there. Units throw away good MREs all the time because of this.



I need to ask if they are in cases or just individual rations the ad didn’t say

_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein


Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:36 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lawton, OK
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011
Posts: 14519
Real Name: Chuck
I like MRE's for the car, but freeze dried (Thrive) for the house.

_________________
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
"Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux


Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:16 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Maple Valley, WA
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7537
Real Name: Young
golddigger14s wrote:
I like MRE's for the car, but freeze dried (Thrive) for the house.


To be honest from a mid/long term - it should be reversed.
MRE and high heat fluctuations will ruin it faster than anything. After a good summer In the car... it’s basically done.


Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.582s | 15 Queries | GZIP : On ]