Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 

TechnoWeenie wrote:
ViniVidivici wrote:
Gotta say that win system repeater on Baldi Mtn. in Enumclaw us amazing.

Was out in the sticks today, up on a ridge near mt. Rainier, was getting into hardly any repeaters, but that one was STILL clear as day.

There I am walkin' in the woods with my rifle, talkin' to some guy walking his dog down the street in San Francisco. Crazy. I know there's a joke in there somewhere...

The fact that that system is linked is very cool, but the repeater all by itself is pretty useful.

146.98 ?

441.625 +5.0 tone 100.0

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
ViniVidivici wrote:
Gotta say that win system repeater on Baldi Mtn. in Enumclaw us amazing.

Was out in the sticks today, up on a ridge near mt. Rainier, was getting into hardly any repeaters, but that one was STILL clear as day.

There I am walkin' in the woods with my rifle, talkin' to some guy walking his dog down the street in San Francisco. Crazy. I know there's a joke in there somewhere...

The fact that that system is linked is very cool, but the repeater all by itself is pretty useful.

146.98 ?

441.625 +5.0 tone 100.0

Oh yeah, very wide coverage indeed....

Attachment:
Mt-Baldi-1024x702.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
so i got my replacement batteries in
Spoiler: show
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-4200mAh-NTN8294-NNTN9862-Battery-for-MOTOROLA-XTS3000-3500-4250-5000/162121232220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

charged them up and ran them, got about 24 hours out of them :thumbsup2:
and, they weigh about 2x less then the old batteries that came with the radios :wink05:

I ordered the same pair of batteries, should be here this week

@TW - What charger would work best with these batteries?

I have the old charger that came with my first radio: Kit No. NTN7209A and Model AA16740 (not sure why the two different numbers). The battery that came with the radio says impres but it doesn't show battery level when I try to check it on the radio

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
so i got my replacement batteries in
Spoiler: show
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-4200mAh-NTN8294-NNTN9862-Battery-for-MOTOROLA-XTS3000-3500-4250-5000/162121232220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

charged them up and ran them, got about 24 hours out of them :thumbsup2:
and, they weigh about 2x less then the old batteries that came with the radios :wink05:

I ordered the same pair of batteries, should be here this week

@TW - What charger would work best with these batteries?

I have the old charger that came with my first radio: Kit No. NTN7209A and Model AA16740 (not sure why the two different numbers). The battery that came with the radio says impres but it doesn't show battery level when I try to check it on the radio

Impres chargers are smart chargers, but they require impres batteries to be most effective.

You will NOT get a battery level readout on your display unless you're using impres batteries with an impres charger.

An Impres charger doesn't really have any benefits over a standard charger when using non-impres batteries.

Impres batteries when used with an impres charger will get you the battery readout, and automatic reconditioning of the battery when needed.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I asked because the batteries we ordered are impres batteries and there seem to be different versions of the impres charger

Wasn't sure if there was a 'best' charger to look out for. More importantly I see a lot of knockoff Motorola stuff on ebay and don;t want to buy something that will cook the batteries

Never mind. I see now that those batteries aren't impres batteries so the charger I have will work just fine...

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my VHF model I today

Swapped the guts around so now I have a VHF model III and a 700/800 model I. Polished all the scratches out of the screen while I had it apart

I need to order some small parts if anyone wants to combine orders. My VHF didn't come with an antenna and is missing the volume knob

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Got my VHF model I today

Swapped the guts around so now I have a VHF model III and a 700/800 model I. Polished all the scratches out of the screen while I had it apart

I need to order some small parts if anyone wants to combine orders. My VHF didn't come with an antenna and is missing the volume knob
I have an extra antenna I can give you. I'll be over there in about a week and a half.

Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did we settle on the programming that the pole was for?

I'm still getting up to speed on the radios now that I have them in hand. Till I get them programmed I can't really do anything. Can't even change frequencies to listen to stuff

beckdw wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Got my VHF model I today

I have an extra antenna I can give you. I'll be over there in about a week and a half.

That's mighty generous. Which antenna is it? I was going to just order the VHF wideband antenna for now. I have a hand mic to trade if you want it

If anyone happens to want/need a 700/800 antenna I have a spare. That radio showed up with two in the box

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Did we settle on the programming that the pole was for?

I'm still getting up to speed on the radios now that I have them in hand. Till I get them programmed I can't really do anything. Can't even change frequencies to listen to stuff

beckdw wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Got my VHF model I today

That's mighty generous. Which antenna is it? I was going to just order the VHF wideband antenna for now. I have a hand mic to trade if you want it

If anyone happens to want/need a 700/800 antenna I have a spare. That radio showed up with two in the box

Programming takes a long time, unless someone wants to help me with it.

Let me know when you're free and bring a flash drive and I'll enable FPP and make sure you can program it for now until a concrete plan can be put in place.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

I was just going to give you the OEM, but I'll trade a Nagoya VHF/UHF antenna for the hand mike if you want. Otherwise you can just have the OEM.

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got a new programming cable yesterday. Used it this morning to add the weather channels to my VHF radio on a second zone

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-Programming-Cable-Support-Motorola-XTS5000-XTS5000-I-II-III-M5K/153567942161?hash=item23c15cd611

Much better quality than the janky wire that came with one of my radios. The guy that makes them seems like he stands behind his work, sent an info sheet with all his contact info in case you have problems. Says he sells them directly for less than the ebay listing too. PM me if you want to his contact info

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:10 am
FFL / Dealer

I’m just getting into HAM (take my tech test on Saturday).
Is there anybody in the SW corner? I’m in Woodland. Don’t really want to drop the cash on one if there’s nobody to talk to.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shout out to TW who met up with me the other day and hooked me up with software and programming for my radios. Great guy and we had some good conversation along with everything. Hopefully half of what he taught me will stay lol.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 pm

czgunner wrote:
I’m just getting into HAM (take my tech test on Saturday).
Is there anybody in the SW corner? I’m in Woodland. Don’t really want to drop the cash on one if there’s nobody to talk to.

Well, I'm close to Puyallup, I talk on this repeater network, looks like I just might be able to talk to you. See look!

http://www.winsystem.org/repeaters/chinook/

Looks like Woodland is just barely in range, in a green spot!

My Baofeng and whip antenna were dirt cheap, and it's doin' the job just fine.

And yes, TW is cool as hell, I've talked to him on the radio, been very helpful.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got an order of small parts today. It's all the little things...

I now have a volume knob on my 7/800 XTS5000. Twisting the white plastic part worked, but kinda sucked. Amazing what a little piece of plastic can do

Not really surprising, but the VHF radio is getting a much better signal with a wide band antenna. I had a 7/800 antenna on there just because I had it

Belt clips. Not super important but I'm still looking for a good radio pouch. Might end up making my own and use the clips for retention

Also ordered covers for the data connectors on the side. Thought it would be a good idea to cover the connections but it looks like they aren't meant to be taken on and off repeatedly. Going to leave those off till I settle on a configuration

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next