Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Solar Generators? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some group my wife is in is recommending solar generators instead of your traditional gas powered generators - and of course she wants me to look at them. To me, they basically look like a big battery with some solar panels and seem a little on the pricey side.

Anyone have any experience?

https://geneverse.com/pages/homepower-pro
https://growattportable.com/products/gr ... er-station

Not really sure that you can actually buy them, but how would these compare to something like ta Tesla Power Wall? (plus I know they are stupidly expensive).

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is about the going price for those.
There’s lots of options.

Costco was even selling a few brands.

I bought Jackery when they had a sale.

Do some research as the solar panel only does about 2/3 efficient plus you have to factor it has to be constantly pointed towards Sun and rely of course on a clear sunny day for the most part.

It’s also the intent of use. I plan to use as a backup since I also have gas generator and for camping etc

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kinda finite power once power goes out and well Washington....clouds, rain wintertime when power goes out the most......

Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a few advantages

-No noise
-Some power is better than none. Just have to be patient.
-Does not need gas or fuel.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:42 pm

We got a package that Costco had in-store promotions - Lion Energy. 3 100W panels and 1 2000w (iirc) "generator" for the home. We also have 2 EcoFlow River generator/battery for camping. I have a 100w panel mounted to the roof rack. That works fantastic, as long as it stays clean and in the sun. Cloudy, it still works, but single-digit output.

I would recommend not getting the Lion stuff because they're 24v while the Rivers are 12v; and I've tried to use a MPPT controller and it doesn't work. I could try getting a more expensive 24v to 12v unit, but I don't want to dick around more than I have to. Stay with the same voltage.

The EcoFlow Rivers are great, AMZN usually has them on sale. We use them to run the cooler fridge (BougeRV), small charging items, and for warming up the camp bed at night, a heated blanket. This summer we were staying overnight in the backcountry in Glacier NP, but had to keep the fridge running until we got back. The parking lot had tall trees on both sides, so we didn't get enough sun throughout the day to charge the batteries. With the two batteries + solar, the fridge ran for what I estimate 28 hours in 80*+ weather. The food in the fridge wasn't ice cold, but it wasn't warm.

The Lion stuff is basically for powering the fridge during a power outage at home if we lose power for any significant amount of time.

I even have a gas generator as a backup as well. We live on a hilltop that gets a fair amount of wind, if not a consistent breeze. I'd love to install a small wind generator just to see how well it'd work.

All that to say...

Be practical. The "best" generator we have is sitting in the driveway (or garage). A "solar generator" is a hit or miss situation in the PNW if you're relying on the sun. If sun doesn't come out for weeks (like every November), you can still charge the "solar generator." Unless you have a bank of batteries (spendy proposition there) that can hold 10kW or so, it's still easier and cheaper for a gas or diesel generator.

$400-$600 for a decent gas generator vs. $2000-$4000 for comparable solar system. If noise is a factor, you can build an insulated wooden box with proper ventilation that will cut the noise of a fuel generator significantly.

I just thought of something. I should get some panels and mount the strong magnets on them so I can stick them on our gazebo roof. One side faces south and is pretty much unobstructed by trees and shadows. Doing a whole-home solar system isn't worth it. I did a online estimation a few years ago and it'd pay for itself in, like, 23 years.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a GOAL ZERO set up (about 400 watts). Will it run my fridge? No, but it will charge my computer, phone, and just about anything. (12V/110 AC/USB) Also, it will run my CPAP. I have a gas/propane generator for my fridge in more serious situations.

https://www.goalzero.com/collections/po ... -solar-kit

BTW solar still works when cloudy, and the panels are actually more efficient in colder weather. So it is practical in WA.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess what caught me off guard was the price of the panels. I just thought portable solar panels were a lot cheaper.

I'll keep my eye on Costco for a sale.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:20 pm

new daddy wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys! I guess what caught me off guard was the price of the panels. I just thought portable solar panels were a lot cheaper.

I'll keep my eye on Costco for a sale.

"portable" is a loose term. obviously you can't throw a couple panels in the back of the bed like a couple camp chairs, but most panels are pretty durable. I have an $80 100W panel on the roof of my truck bought from AMZN. My b-i-l has basically the same panel I have only it has two arms to angle it towards the sun.

My 3 portable panels are heavier and have a protective case. I don't think they're worth $299, but I'm not an expert. They may be more efficient and longer lasting, only time will tell.

If power is a convenience, in my opinion, solar power and "generator" is pretty cheap these days.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a follow up! I caught the Jackery kit at on sale at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/jackery-explorer ... 37145.html

Figured this was a good start. Received the 290 and solar panels yesterday so its charging now. the 880 is supposed to be delivered later today.

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at options from EcoFlow and Bluetti. Lots of capability and scalability in their units.

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just build your own.
this one is for up to 1000 watts + solar panels just under $1000
ran that heater for 2h 15 mins at 500 watts
not what I will use this for, this is mostly for lights and coffee pot and maybe recharging AA\AAA batteries

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

toys in the toybox wrote:
kinda finite power once power goes out and well Washington....clouds, rain wintertime when power goes out the most......

Please let us know of this infinite power source you have as an alternative.

Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice n quiet here when the power is out.
3000Ah of reserve.

We have two banks totaling 16.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mange wrote:
Just build your own.
not what I will use this for, this is mostly for lights and coffee pot and maybe recharging AA\AAA batteries

Don't happen to have an instruction manual/components list on how to build that? I've got the panels, so I'd just need to get the other stuff.

My 880 ran my 1500 watt space heater for 43 minutes at medium heat. I was just running it as a test to see how the battery would do.

While the solar is good when it works, I'll probably end up plugging in the batteries whenever I run my gas generator just to get the boost. For the batteries I have it takes about 6 hours to charge on 110 and 15 hours to charge on the solar panels.

Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:
Mange wrote:
Just build your own.

Don't happen to have an instruction manual/components list on how to build that? I've got the panels, so I'd just need to get the other stuff.

My 880 ran my 1500 watt space heater for 43 minutes at medium heat. I was just running it as a test to see how the battery would do.

While the solar is good when it works, I'll probably end up plugging in the batteries whenever I run my gas generator just to get the boost. For the batteries I have it takes about 6 hours to charge on 110 and 15 hours to charge on the solar panels.

I don't have any instructions, this one is just three parts. Lipo4 battery, solar charger, and a inverter. My inverter is 1500 watts, but will mostly keep under 1000 watts. One 100ah lipo4 is 1200watts-ish.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next