Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 backpack, rucksack, assault pack, help! 

I am looking for some packs for various things like a bug out bag, get home bag and maybe for hiking trips. Is there some kind of TLDR somewhere that explains the differences between the types of packs and what their common uses are?

I do know a little about the MOLLE system which seems pretty nice sine I can add on attachments very easily as needed.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go with the modern MOLLE systems out there.

I look on eBay a lot. Look for assault packs (US General Issue USGI) not Chinese copies for smaller packs. These often come in packages with canteen, grenade, and other accessories or alone.

I really like the MOLLE Large Field Pack. Make sure you get the complete set. I mistakenly got a field pack for real cheap, but needed to add a frame, sustainment pouches, kidney belt and suspenders to make it a complete pack.

There is a lot of Vietnam ALICE gear that is also functional to include small, medium and large rucksacks that are different than the modern MOLLE gear. To each his own. After using ALICE gear for many years, I REALLY like the modern MOLLE gear.

The only way to really know is to use both extensively.

I recommend USGI for long term use.

http://militarybackpackguide.com/alice- ... lle-packs/

Last edited by jackass on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start off with your budget, how much you want to pack and then how long - duration and distance you are planning to big out to.

Your budget is going to tell you what to look for.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mission dictates gear choice.
First figure out what you need to accomplish *your* stated goals, THEN figure out what you need to store/carry it.
If you haven't figured out your goals, then the gear you need to achieve those goals, no bag choice will make you successful.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My uneducated assessment of the terms:
Backpack: voluminous. Used for long distance trekking.
Rucksack: Hugely voluminous, and used to carry all manner of stuff from transport from station to station.
Assault pack: Smaller, more agile. Volume only large enough to sustain one through a three or four day "patrol".

For a bug out bag I'll use my commercial backpacking/mountaineering backpack since I figure to probably be on foot for long distances. (It feasibly will, and has, sustained me through 100 miles of trekking without resupply). It distributes weight well and doesn't scream "He's got GUNS!" This pack is almost completely packed at all times, with the exception of my sleeping bag which I don't wish to store compressed.

For a Get-Home-Bag I actually have two: one I use when traveling around town and no more than a days' walk from home. It looks like a snow-boarder's bag or something like that. The other is slightly larger and I bring that along for traveling distances that would require more than a days' march to return home. Both have the ten essentials. One has more food and foot gear/clothing.

I have an "assault pack" just for fun. It's more geared toward "self defense".

Tactical Tailor has entered the backpack/rucksack game and (I've never tried them, only looked) seem like they are worthwhile. Tactical gear manufacturers have stepped up their game on packs of late, Im just leery of presenting as paramilitary or stuffed to the gills with cool stuff others may want.

One last thing of which to be conscious: Packs themselves are heavy. The more straps and molle and pockets and dividers, the heavier they get.

(I am so weight conscious that I have stripped all of the sewn on brand labels and logos from my gear. The little ball of useless advertising probably weighed better than a pound!)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think get home only. If something were to happen all my stuff is at my house. Even if the house goes down that is where my guns, food, etc are. I will set up a tent in my yard if I have to. I don't care if you have a monster truck you are not going anywhere. Also where are you going to?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Morning, I might suggest you youtube your question, there are lots of video's there that explain and demonstrate the different packs & uses.

I just downsized my EDC bag due to weight constraints, I got a Vanquest Mobius 2.0, nice bag, not too many pockets to lose stuff in, that's one thing that I made a parameter in my bag search, you can have too many pockets.
The Alice bags are nice that way, but not much if any molle straps, newer versions have molle on them.
But the frames are for the younger, stronger backs, as you age your weight carrying capabilities change from your back to your hips, so the newer back packing/trekking packs that put the load to your hips and use your back to balance the weight are preferred.

Then if you're very old, like myself a hand truck becomes part of the gear list for a long trek.

I, myself plan on staying as "Gray-man" as I can, maybe even use a shopping cart and look as homeless as I can and still be able to move a significant amount of gear along.

But back to your question, and something that might help out, there's a second hand sports equipment store in Issaquah that has a wall of used back packs, fair prices and it's the off season.

Down in Tillicum there are two army surplus stores that have a fair selection of packs, and another one in Spanaway, all three have fair prices on their gear.

One thing about molle, if you find yourself attaching more and more stuff onto your pack then you'll need a larger pack, best to keep everything inside the pack, no need to display it all.

What I ended up with was a bag that goes with me everywhere, never know where you'll be standing/sitting when the geologic/seismic event happens that start's this cascade of crap.
That bag compliments the main car bag which will sustain me for an extended stay somewhere then trekking home.

I also am building a molle vest set up, mostly for the hydration pouch carry, water will be the priority, then food & cover.

Youtube survival bags, EDC bags, trekking packs, and before you decide on a pack find out just how much 30lbs weighs on your back, you can go to REI and try packs out with weight in them, you may be surprised.

CL might be another source for a bag to start off with, be aware, when your done with your research you'll probably own half a dozen back packs.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

here's some Alice pack reviews, link

https://www.google.com/search?q=Alice+p ... e&ie=UTF-8

Here's some Assult bag reviews, link

https://www.google.com/search?ei=qMoRXL ... ...13221.1

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalTuna wrote:
I am looking for some packs for various things like a bug out bag, get home bag and maybe for hiking trips. Is there some kind of TLDR somewhere that explains the differences between the types of packs and what their common uses are?

I do know a little about the MOLLE system which seems pretty nice sine I can add on attachments very easily as needed.

Over 400 pages of Bag discussions :thumbsup2:

Everything from Molle Diaper Bags, to EDC bags, to Bug-Out...

https://www.edcforums.com/forums/edc-bags.86/

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Backpack! Rucksack! Assault Pack!

Spoiler: show

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

jukk0u wrote:
Backpack! Rucksack! Assault Pack!

Spoiler: show

Oh god...

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so that's where they went, last time I saw them they were in my wife's purse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After 21 years in the Army the Alice pack is GARBAGE! Anything, but an Alice pack is an improvement. I would rather go to Walmart.
Ever heard of S&M? Well the guy that invented the ALICE pack was really into it. I have a $13 go bag from Cabela's in my car.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:23 pm

I just recently picked up a 5.11 Tactical AMP72 Backpack 40L, really liking it and my Daniel Defense MK18 with the Law Tactical folding adapter fits in there perfectly. They do have smaller models but the AMP72 is the only one with the SBR storage area. Here's a good video of a rep going over the bag AMP bags

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vertx https://vertx.com/concealed-carry-bags-and-packs :thumbsup2:

...or Guardian1 http://www.guardian1.us/product/guardianpack-backpack/ :wink05:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XptdqiEE0ts

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next