Switch to full style
SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Survival or just preventive planning.
Post a reply

Expiration date for MREs

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 pm

So found an ok deal on some MREs on OfferUp asked when the expiration date is and was told that MREs do not have an expiration date just an inspection date and that as long as they are stored properly they don’t expire, when I was in the Marines I did a stint with distribution sending out pallets of MREs and was told optimum length was 7-10 years at ideal conditions. Am I wrong?

Re: Expiration date for MREs

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm

I have some military MREs and they don't have an expiration date. After some research, I learned there's a time/temp indicator on the boxes that you can use to figure out whether they're still good https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-shelf-life/

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:31 pm

TacticalTuna wrote:I have some military MREs and they don't have an expiration date. After some research, I learned there's a time/temp indicator on the boxes that you can use to figure out whether they're still good https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-shelf-life/

I’ll have to look at that site, I know all mre cases have an inspection date which means the case should be either used or inspected by the date stamped

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:39 pm

There is nothing in them to expire.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:39 pm

It’s all about storage.

Ideally MRE are made, stored a few and then used. In the military it’s a known quantity so they cycle that shit out often. Get new ones in - have some poor sailor, marine, soldier eat them. I think Air Force has a different version of a cross between hot meal and mid term storage type of food.

But back to your question. High long term exposure to heat will shorten the “edible” duration of an MRE. Stored in cool dry place... decades if you don’t mind parts of it going bad.

There are a few YouTube folks that will actually eat old MREs to let you know if it’s edible.

1992 Ham slices

But it’s all relative and based on how it has been stored and exposed to temp.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 pm

If it dont stink, EAT IT

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:06 pm

oldkim wrote:It’s all about storage.

Ideally MRE are made, stored a few and then used. In the military it’s a known quantity so they cycle that shit out often. Get new ones in - have some poor sailor, marine, soldier eat them. I think Air Force has a different version of a cross between hot meal and mid term storage type of food.

But back to your question. High long term exposure to heat will shorten the “edible” duration of an MRE. Stored in cool dry place... decades if you don’t mind parts of it going bad.

There are a few YouTube folks that will actually eat old MREs to let you know if it’s edible.

1992 Ham slices

But it’s all relative and based on how it has been stored and exposed to temp.

I watched a channel where a guy would review MREs from around the world I really want to try the Russian or French or Israeli rations lol I watched the same dude eat hardtack from the civil war lol

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:52 pm

https://youtu.be/_ZO7AS8Lrh8

Here’s the link for the 1992 Ham Slices

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Storage is key. You should be able to tell by the condition of the box and there is the indicator on most modern boxes. If you have a picture, I could tell you the generation and maybe hint at the quality. Expiration dates don’t exist and most will pass the reinspection but due to logistics most never make it there. Units throw away good MREs all the time because of this.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:12 pm

I need to do a stock up before the lizard people come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Just curious, you guys think most are still buying MRE's or most have switched to freeze dried?

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:35 pm

Blaze.45 wrote:Just curious, you guys think most are still buying MRE's or most have switched to freeze dried?

Honestly I just like to eat them now and then lol guess I’m weird

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:36 pm

Yukonjon wrote:Storage is key. You should be able to tell by the condition of the box and there is the indicator on most modern boxes. If you have a picture, I could tell you the generation and maybe hint at the quality. Expiration dates don’t exist and most will pass the reinspection but due to logistics most never make it there. Units throw away good MREs all the time because of this.

I need to ask if they are in cases or just individual rations the ad didn’t say

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:16 am

I like MRE's for the car, but freeze dried (Thrive) for the house.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am

golddigger14s wrote:I like MRE's for the car, but freeze dried (Thrive) for the house.

To be honest from a mid/long term - it should be reversed.
MRE and high heat fluctuations will ruin it faster than anything. After a good summer In the car... it’s basically done.
Post a reply