Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Adding liquor to my preps 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

jukk0u wrote:
old11bravo wrote:
This and tobacco. Extremely valuable commodities in a SHTF scenario. Probably more valuable than food or ammo depending upon whom you're bartering with.

I bet liquor keeps/stores better/longer than tobacco.

If nobody rats you out, I bet you can grow tobacco easier than distill liquor.

Growing tobacco is a legal activity. Why hide it?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Had a buddy in N Seattle whose parents made moonshine in their basement.
Had 4-5 plastic garbage cans filled with a mixture of water, cracked corn, sugar, and yeast.
Old school copper loop coil atop a huge pressure cooker.
Shelves full of gallon milk jugs filled with 190 proof white lightning, said it cost about $5 a gallon to make.
We used to take a couple jugs hunting or camping.
Got shitfaced and kept the fire going strong.

Note: Records for all still purchases are submitted to ATF and the local liquor control board by any legit still manufacturer or seller.
Even if you say it's for fuel, research, or distilling water.

Modern setups use lead free solder, copper plumbing pipe and kegs to distill in. A 3 foot reflux tower will distill at 160+ proof. Rerun it for higher. A parrot is handy too. All easily made at home.

I'm not sure about state wise, but federally it is legal to own any still as long as it isnt intended to produce alcohol, so make sure it is only intended to be used for water distillation(totally unregulated). MFG's are required to keep records but at this time the feds havent been collecting(they could)

As for producing, yea that's illegal, except there are cheap/free(dont remember) permits for stuff like lawn mower use.

As for how hard it is to make.... a handful of grape juice concentrates, mixed with 15-20lbs of sugar, a container of bakers yeast, and add water up to 14 or so gallons in a standard keg with the core removed makes a strong wine. Let sit with an airlock, or just tape a rubber glove to the top and punch holes in the fingers. After it finishes bubbling, , add column, cook it, a propane turkey burner works fine. Throw the first shot glass away, it is full of hangover and blindness(not an issue unless you are going out of you way to kill someone), after that cook until the proof goes down(a parrot helps).

If anyone has questions i know a lot more, pm me. BTW i dont do it, but i have seen it done a lot. To sum this up. For SHTF you could make an entire still setup that fits in the same ammo. Cook on a campfire, blackberries or whatever that has sugar would brew fine, ofcourse you will get a lower yeald and more flavor the lower the initial "wine/mash" is ..... Actually that might be a product, the biggest issue is getting a stainless pot to cook in that seals a lid that small.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the parrot do?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
old11bravo wrote:
This and tobacco. Extremely valuable commodities in a SHTF scenario. Probably more valuable than food or ammo depending upon whom you're bartering with.

I bet liquor keeps/stores better/longer than tobacco.

If nobody rats you out, I bet you can grow tobacco easier than distill liquor.

Growing tobacco is a legal activity. Why hide it?

It'll get took and while you may be able to grow it for personal use, I think any surviving authority would frown on unregulated trade?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I checked Kent WinCo the other day—no dice. But I DID find this Jim Beam Repeal Batch at Trader Joe’s for 10.99. I’m a bit of a bourbon snob, but this isn’t horrible and will do well for prepping. I think I’ll buy several bottles at that price.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
I checked Kent WinCo the other day—no dice. But I DID find this Jim Beam Repeal Batch at Trader Joe’s for 10.99. I’m a bit of a bourbon snob, but this isn’t horrible and will do well for prepping. I think I’ll buy several bottles at that price.

I think that's a pretty good deal as well. I haven't tried that stuff yet.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty easy to make up 50 gallons hard apple cider. I do 50-100 gallons every year. Tasty stuff and popping out at 10-12% alcohol.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the prep, we keep a decent stash of Everclear 190 proof.
And for fun we drink XO cognac.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
Pretty easy to make up 50 gallons hard apple cider. I do 50-100 gallons every year. Tasty stuff and popping out at 10-12% alcohol.

I would LOVE to learn how to do this. We have an apple tree that grows more apples than i have ever seen on a single tree.... Haha

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still nearly a pallet of it in S. Everett WinCo. (9900 19th Ave SE)

To be clear, the cost is $1.78 plus .76 tax for 200ml. And then more tax.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, no getting around the sin tax.... Still about half price (pre-tax) of what beam normally is.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:33 pm

I got about three bottles of Vodka, one bottle of Brandy, 4 bottles of Tequila. For trade or the end. A bottle of this stuff might get you through a check point never know.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still nearly a pallet of it in S. Everett WinCo. (9900 19th Ave SE)

Jim Beam 200ml 1.58 plus .76 tax plus .32 tax for a total of $2.66 each small bottle

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In troubled times, having a certification in distillation and experience as a professional brewer will serve me well, methinks. I’ll just make my own.

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:30 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Breck wrote:
In troubled times, having a certification in distillation and experience as a professional brewer will serve me well, methinks. I’ll just make my own.

Can I hang out with you at that point? I'll forgive you for being anti-Seahawks. :bigsmile: I bow before the breadth of your knowledge concerning the elixir of life.

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next