Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:51 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Plate carriers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SurfPerch wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
The most basic scenario for most should be home invasion stuff. Bad guys like to carry guns, and having something that stops bullets is generally a good idea. The recent incident in Florida is a prime example of this.

Given all the riots and violence we’re seeing happening in the cities, to have a carrier stashed in the vehicle certainly wouldn’t hurt. There’s been a number of instances of people getting shot or shot at while trying to navigate around some of these riots.

Thanks! Makes sense! To keep the carrier inconspicuous in the car or on your person do you think this gizmo could work:

https://youtu.be/-g5VCHQtgqo
There were a couple different companies that make variants of that backpack. That setup would be more of a walking around type deal. You could use that option, but I would think it be easier and cheaper to just have a duffle or bag on your floorboard that you can grab a vest from and put on.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 pm

NotAMerc wrote:
You could use that option, but I would think it be easier and cheaper to just have a duffle or bag on your floorboard that you can grab a vest from and put on.

Agreed. One scenario of "walkabout" I was also considering was an escalation preparedness with concealed carry, non-lethal options and similar backpack for "meet and greet" scenarios that does not initially warrant deadly force unless escalated by other party - like a trespasser on your property... It looks like concealed vest could take a longer time to don, than just grabbing a backpack on your way out to "meet and greet" a stranger with a smile (or a "reasonable" force for removal, if necessary... :) Price does sting a bit : https://iwainternationalinc.com/quick-d ... backpack/;

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. Keep it as slim and as lightweight as possible.
:thumbsup2:
jackass wrote:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what is a good way to store the plate carrier? (with plates in obviously)

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 pm

movingviolation wrote:

I hang mine up with Tough Hook hangers. I'd do it that way or store them in a loadout bag / pelican case, but as long as you aren't dropping them, laying around is probably fine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:51 pm

And you're only allowed ONE morale patch on that thing, just ONE!

What kind of radio is that DW21?

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
The army taught us to lay them flat or at most sit them upright on a flat surface (like the floor). They said to never hang them...so of course for the last 8 months my army issued body armor hung from a 4"x4" cross (pictured). By the end of those 8 months (yeah, I wore it a few times) the plates were loose in the carrier and the kevlar panels were falling down inside the carrier. Typically your plates are held in by velcro and your shoulder strap sizing is adjusted by velcro. Over time the weight of the plates will stretch your shoulder straps and the plates with fall down inside your plate pocket an inch or two. That can be the difference between getting shot in the heart or not. Because of my experience I will never hang my body armor, ymmv.Image

Edit to add you can almost see the Black Hammer Arms patch hiding in with my mags.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:20 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

beckdw wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
The army taught us to lay them flat or at most sit them upright on a flat surface (like the floor). They said to never hang them...so of course for the last 8 months my army issued body armor hung from a 4"x4" cross (pictured). By the end of those 8 months (yeah, I wore it a few times) the plates were loose in the carrier and the kevlar panels were falling down inside the carrier. Typically your plates are held in by velcro and your shoulder strap sizing is adjusted by velcro. Over time the weight of the plates will stretch your shoulder straps and the plates with fall down inside your plate pocket an inch or two. That can be the difference between getting shot in the heart or not. Because of my experience I will never hang my body armor, ymmv.Image

Edit to add you can almost see the Black Hammer Arms patch hiding in with my mags.
I can see it!

Is this the first international transport of a Black Hammer Arms patch?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep my PC in one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Gear-Cart-Tool-Box-in-Black-222573/205441921?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_11_STORAGE_DEVICES-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-StorageDevices_LIA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_11_STORAGE_DEVICES-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-StorageDevices_LIA-71700000066089559-58700005819526688-92700053177755273&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-oDIzKP26gIVgiCtBh164Q8CEAYYAyABEgJXw_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The next size down from that fits an ACH and random small stuff

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:06 pm

Ours stay propped up on the carpeted floor at the foot of the bed, or in the closet on an old pillow.

Not a fan of hanging them, usual reasons.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
movingviolation wrote:

If you put a support piece of wood underneath the plate carrier it helps prevent the sag that people have talked about.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used a hanger for a while but I ran a nylon duty belt

one under each plate to support them so they didn't hang in the gear.

T3 has kit bags, regularly $160, on sale for $75. NICE bags.

https://www.t3gear.com/t3-kit-bag-gen-2/

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the purpose of hanging the carrier?

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I used a hanger for a while but I ran a nylon duty belt

one under each plate to support them so they didn't hang in the gear.

T3 has kit bags, regularly $160, on sale for $75. NICE bags.

https://www.t3gear.com/t3-kit-bag-gen-2/

Thanks for the heads up on the kit bag dude!

Divided we fall.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next