Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Plate carriers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m planning to upgrade my TA-50 and this time around I want to go Level IV ceramic since weight is an issue now, no more heavy steel plates for me... price is also a considerable option but I know it’s going to be worth it for good gear.
Looking at these Spartan plates
https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spa ... et-of-two/

and this carrier:
https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spa ... e-carrier/

Curious what others are using.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bulletproofit.com for plates local wa dealer(down here by me.)

I run a older shellback banshee carrier. To be honest, I know nothing of the carrier you posted. But the photos kinda make it look a little uhhhh “questionable”. Maybe a step or two above condor. I personally like to get hands on with carriers, and wear them, look them over and such before I buy one. Just some food for thought

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a single Chinese plate (yeah, it's a long story) in a Eagle CIRAS BALCS carrier and Rhino IIIA Soft armor. I am trying to get set up with a pair of RMA plates for it so I can shoot the Chinese plate.

I also have a more complete kit with a full set of RMA Armament Level IV plates in a BEEZ Balcs carrier with Rhino IIIA soft armor.

Their basic 1" ceramic armor is around $135. (You just missed a sale at the beginning of the year for $99/plate) They have some more expensive/lighter plates too.

I want to get a "low-viz" slick carrier that would hide better. The Canadian kid likes the Slickster. Another guy I was talking to liked Ess-tac's Daeodon lite. Those are plate carriers and not full soft armor and plate carriers (BALCS) but I think they'll accommodate trauma pads for using behind III and III+ hard armor

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the advice guys.
Mike, great idea, this time I do plan to try them on first.
Jim, I saw the sale but had not decided to upgrade at that time. Double Dang.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at Midwest armor for plates:

https://midwestarmor.com/

I have a Paraclete SOHPC. Does what it's supposed to. The price was right and I don't really use it enough to need anything more expensive

https://www.skdtac.com/Paraclete-SOHPC-SKD-Spec-p/par.106.htm

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Esstac’s are nice, plus they’re made by a guy in in state. Arlington area if I recall. Carriers are simple, but effective

Another good option that I like is a company called Beez combat systems. Everything is made to order and I’ve been pretty damn happy with what they’ve provided. They’ll damn near do any customization you want and have quite a few different options. Prices aren’t to bad either.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good stuff guys.
Would definitely want to try on before I buy.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:17 pm

The RMA plates Jukkou mentions are great, and still cheaper than those Spartans.

https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv ... odel-1155/

Shellback Tactical has similar type price plates as well. The Battlesteel plates sold on Botach are solid too, 99 bucks, around 6 lb.s. Mr. Guns n Gear has shot the heck out of them, seem to hold up well.

I use a Shellback Banshee upgraded with a Beez Combat Systems skeletal cumberbund w/ FS tubes. I like it. HH6 runs a Blue Force Gear Plateminus, which is really nice and low profile.

His n hers rigs, w/ RMA 1155 plates in:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think my carrier is a basic Condor. I have a soft AR500 for pistol, and a steel AR500 plate for rifle.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All good information.
I’m specifically looking for light weight plates since I’m an old fart with a bad back but I’m not too far gone that I can’t defend myself yet... :ROFLMAO:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:12 am

Thing is, the lighter they get (for III+ IV rating) the more expensive they get.

Hesco has some awesome light plates, but they're costly. RMA has other options too, they're lighter, just cost more.

Forgot to mention SKD Tactical for great rigs, and Beez's carriers are good to go also.

You can get a great carrier in the 200 dollar range, sometimes less if you hit upon a sale.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Thing is, the lighter they get (for III+ IV rating) the more expensive they get.

Hesco has some awesome light plates, but they're costly. RMA has other options too, they're lighter, just cost more.

Forgot to mention SKD Tactical for great rigs, and Beez's carriers are good to go also.

You can get a great carrier in the 200 dollar range, sometimes less if you hit upon a sale.

I kinda found that out during my search. No worriesthough, I'm spending my kids inheritance.... :rofl9:

Come on Black Friday, Papa needs a sale.... (Caveman on his knees rollin some dice)... :bigsmile:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Botach has those Battle Steel ceramic plates that are good, and pretty affordable. You can buy a nice carrier like a Ferro Concepts for a reason price. Good setup.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:47 pm

I'm a fan of Spiritus Systems (multicam black). My buddy also loves his Crye JPC (green).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kick start my heart wrote:
Botach has those Battle Steel ceramic plates that are good, and pretty affordable. You can buy a nice carrier like a Ferro Concepts for a reason price. Good setup.

I just looked at these plates and they seem to be of very affordable. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup2:

Battle Steels Ceramic (SIC) PE Composite ballistic armor plates are tested under NIJ-0101.06 IV body armor standards by H.P. White, Chesapeake. It is capable of stopping at least 3 shots of .30 caliber, 166 grain, AP, and M2 ammunition.

Tested to NIJ Level IV / NIJ Standard 0101.06
Multi-hit capability M80 7.62x51 AP & M855 5.56mm Green Tip AP
Special pressing techniques to create lighter plate
Multi-Curve
Actual Size 9.5” x 11.5” Only 5.5 lbs. & 0.8" Thick
Crack-resistant lightweight structure, capable of stopping multiple rounds.
Assembled in the US from imported materials
Fully sealed to protect against liquids, chemicals, & harsh elements
Warranty: 5 years date of sale.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next