Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Plate carriers 

stevemcgee wrote:
I would not assume anything regarding the plates. I recommend searching for reviews - where you watch the entire testing process and judge for yourself.

(Both LA Police Gear and Botach have Level IV plates, or at least did this week).

Regarding the carriers - it's not hard to do this stuff now, and I'm sure they'll be fine. Used to be that Condor MOLLE wasn't aligned properly, or the cheap makers in Sportsmans Guide, etc., would not tape seams and stuff just fell apart. But that's not the case anymore.

Although the plastic quick detach hardware might be low quality.

Thanks! Here's a Ukranian way to test the plate by the director of UARM :) Put the plate on and make somebody shoot it on yourself with AK :)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
SurfPerch wrote:
Gentlemen in the know - this newbie is very interested in your opinions on a couple of products from some unorthodox enterprise. Apparently some American company set up manufacturing of PCs and armor plates in Ukraine. (Perhaps this helps to better equip Ukrainian army units in their fight against Russian annexations?).

And they of course sell it here and internationally too. By the look of it - they are made from American sourced materials and designs. Could you have a look at a couple of their offering that caught my eye and let me know how do they look to you? Too good to be true? Or obviously bad?

Thanks!

Weight L with skeletal cummerbund and ventilation pontoons <2lbs

Large multicurve SAPI Level3+ 3.4lbs

It's a very slick looking site, and I like how they have the plate options. A lot of it looks like knockoffs of some name brand stuff. But without actual certification it's a risk. But at the end of the day it's personal preference. If you're able to get some plates and a vest and feel comfortable with them that's your decision. With the way things are going something is probably better than nothing.

True that, better than trying to stay behind an engine block...YMMV. :bigsmile:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 pm

Alot of Condor's gear is still shitty!

That rig...honestly looks like a nice, well made PC, from here, without close examination and puttin' it through the wringer.

Those are ROC buckles, kind of an alternative to FS tubes. If they're well-made, they're probably sturdy. BCS is well-known high quality and they use ROC buckles in some of their stuff.

The price point is ridiculous though....plenty of known high quality rigs out there for less. Why take a chance.

The plates....forget it. Fee-only plates are not known to reliably stop many common rifle rounds....notice the absence of m855 and m193 in their threat matrix, and no velocities for testing noted.

Unless successfully tested in independent labs against those threats, do not want.

Again, plenty of known good armor out there that reliably does more, for less.

The plates Steve just got are way better than those!

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 pm

That test video looks fake as all fuck.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:34 pm

ViniVidivici wrote:
That test video looks fake as all fuck.

Ah - interesting question... What gives it away for you? :) In fact this video was hotly discussed and UARM had a follow-up youtube video with English CC trying to disprove accusations that it was fake. :) The cool point I notice though that the shot was made in one continuous camera shot - from loading rifle to actual shot to final close up. At 1080 you see that hole was not in PC before and appeared after shot... :)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hotly discussed where?

How do you know you’re getting the same plate here as was worn there?

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:11 pm

It just looks fake. Guy doesn't wince or move one bit when "hit".

Camera angle is wierd...shooter could easily be shooting past him.

ETA: main point is, if there's a shred of doubt, why even bother, when there are plenty of great, known options out there.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That video does look fake

Either that or it was a really weak load

Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The amount of back face deformation when he shot that plate is going to hurt. A lot. He probably would not be standing or smiling after taking a hit like that.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LA police gear has level III and IV in stock. They're Chinese made but the seem to have pretty good reviews. Good price too
$114.99 for level III
$119.99 for level IV

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-level3-plate.html
https://lapolicegear.com/la-police-gear-level-iv-ballistic-armor-plate.html?avad=227253_e1d02cff5#

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am

NotAMerc wrote:
LA police gear has level III and IV in stock. They're Chinese made but the seem to have pretty good reviews. Good price too
$114.99 for level III
$119.99 for level IV

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-level3-plate.html
https://lapolicegear.com/la-police-gear-level-iv-ballistic-armor-plate.html?avad=227253_e1d02cff5#

That's what I mean. It's well-known that those are stellar performers. Even their lvl IIIs have been documented to stop above and beyond said rating.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably very limited quantity, but here's some name brand plates that are NIJ certified for a decent price.

https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product-page/hesco-4k10-level-iv-multi-hit-6-6-lbs-set-of-two

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:36 am

Thank you guys for all your input and advice! Really appreciate it!

Just couple of words on the apples and oranges on plates. The theme of my research was "lightweight". That means no ceramics, no steel. This usually means UHMWPE alone and level 3+ max. The reputable example of such certified plates would be https://hrttacticalgear.com/product/sho ... mor-plate/ Notice the price tag. $699 for X-Large and no Large option. $300 price tag for perhaps :) similar UARM UHMWPE large SAPI then seems not too bad. :) True, their armor is NOT certified in USA. I've checked on the NJIA certification site that has a list of all certified products. Doesn't mean it doesn't work either. Your input on a gamble here is totally valid. The only thing remaining to decide if I'm to take it. And if I do - and if I ever catch a shot into it (which I will do everything in my power NOT to do) and live to review it on this board - I'll do it. :)

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 pm

NWGunner wrote:
Hotly discussed where?

How do you know you’re getting the same plate here as was worn there?

It was hotly discussed in comments on this video by many critics :) Here's another angle on the same video:

That's a good question. How does anybody know what they got from internet seller until their armor is actually shot?

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:59 pm

NotAMerc wrote:
The amount of back face deformation when he shot that plate is going to hurt. A lot. He probably would not be standing or smiling after taking a hit like that.

I was thinking about "hurt" factor too... Perhaps the physics of UHMWPE is more forgiving because it has a different energy dissipation principle as compared to real hard materials like steel or ceramics. Also I was wondering about the shot placement in the video. It was (I thought dangerously) in the lower portion of the plate, with back face deformation area being in the softer area of plexus that can easily absorb that amount of deformation with proper curving of the plate.

Wouldn't know :) Never seen anybody shot and never been shot myself.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next