Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Excel Based Food Storage Planning Tool and Status 

Here is my first draft at a tool to plan and determine food storage, planning and status. Feel free to download from the link to my shared Gdrive folder.

https://tinyurl.com/y73xqufc

Please feel free to suggest improvements and provide feedback for bugs.

If you use this, do not keep it in an unencrypted form when you close it. I encrypt my sheets as it lists location to all my cached stores.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Why? Is using a sharpie to put a date on it that complicated? Then organize the shelves with the old dates up front.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:42 pm

I have containers that have various food in them and they are organized by date stored. This tool does the following:

Allows you to enter your desired daily calorie intake and calculate the total needed for a year.
It calculates number of days your food will sustain you
It has links to look up calorie by food type
It has links to a site to determine your caloric needs by age, weight, height, and activity level
It lets you know when to restock an item that has been consumed or is reach expiration of shelf life
Location data for shelf and container or GPS coordinates for cached food

I freeze dry my own food and store dry goods for long term storage for wheat berries, beans, rice, sugar, etc..

The tool gives you a good visual of where you are at to your desired goals and how much of each product you have to avoid food fatigue.

My inventory is in tubs, buckets and Cache tubes. Since I would not need it for #10 cans on a shelf, then I need a system to let me know what is in each tub, bucket, and cache tube by location. This tools is geared toward those beginning Level-4 preppers, and any level in between.

It is necessary to know with reasonable accuracy how long your food storage will last. It also gives you the ability to quickly adjust the size of family you must support or community of people. I too use sharpies. I use them to label what is in each 1 gallon mylar bag and when it was freeze dried. Depending on content, the shelf life varies.

If a sharpie is all you need, I am not slamming it. Food sustenance and storage planning is no simple matter. I have additional sheets for determining weight and cubic storage required as well.I can haul a years worth of food that is freeze dried in less space than if it were in #10 cans and it will weigh 1/8 what a #10 can of food weighs. Most of my food will last 15 years in storage with some as long as 25 years and some about 10 years. We regularly eat and replace to ensure rotation. With a years worth of food, it requires management beyond a sharpie.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not Excel?

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:16 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
It's not Excel?
It is created in Excel and can be downloaded from the link I provided or you can open it up in Google Sheets to use it. Feel free to provide feedback on it. I have just uploaded Rev2.

Sat May 09, 2020 8:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]