Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:00 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what band can citizens use with the XTS5k vhf? A large portion of VHF is Ham which means no crypto, and seems like LEO/Fire has a chunk as well (obviously a no go). Obviously in SHTF ham bands won't be an issue, but what can people use in the mean time?

Edit to add, how hard is it/is it possible to swap in a vhf motherboard/chip to a model III 800mhz? I'm seeing the chips for $45, and 7/800mhz model IIIs for under $150. Does it involve soldering and a bunch of precision work? Reprogramming?

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm completely in the dark what "programming" accomplishes. (use smol wurds, i'm slow)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I'm completely in the dark what "programming" accomplishes. (use smol wurds, i'm slow)

TW should be able to tell you every little thing that can be programmed, and will probably correct and clarify the rest of this...

The main thing is programming the channels you want to use. On the top there is a 16 position selector. You want to program that so each 'channel' is set to a given frequency and whatever parameters you want associated with it

The basic models don't have keypads or screens because departments hand one to an officer and give them a rundown of channels 1, 2, 3 etc... The department programs it and doesn't what it messed with. The guys on the street using the radios have no idea what frequency they are on, just what number on the radio they turn that top knob to. My dad was a cop till the mid 90's and his radio was set up like that. He gave me a cheat sheet one time with all the codes and had a list of the different channels and what they used them for

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Is is possible to make an adapter to connect the XTS5000 to a set of Comtac IIIs?

I've seen write ups for making adapters for the cheap radios but haven't spent a whole lot of time looking into it. The Comtacs have Nexus plugs that plug into the PTTs and the PTTs have a 6-PIN MIL-C-55116 connector to go to the radio(s). There's some circuitry involved because of an impedance mismatch IIRC

Yes, but not what I would do. They do make a hi-rose adapter, which gives you a 6 pin connector, that pins out data and audio, but it'd be a PITA. They do make a mil connector for headsets, but they're few and far between. Because XTS5K was most likely equipped with Type 1 crypto when it was used in .mil, they are physically destroyed, and they usually just chuck the entire radio in, accessories, and all.

I know 3M made an adapter for use their headsets.... https://www.magnumelectronics.com/Pelto ... 018-02.htm

Found this adapter, cheaper than buying a whole new PTT:

https://disco32.com/collections/push-to-talks/products/m55116-to-xts

That company makes all sorts of adapters and attennas too

Thank you. I knew they were made, just didn't know by who. Good catch.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
So should we all be buying up the k models now and figure out the programming later?

IF you need crypto, yes.

If you don't need crypto, I won't say you're wasting your money, but I'd go a different route. I need trunking capabilities in my radio, otherwise I wouldn't be using an XTS5K... It's overkill for a LOT of stuff.

300 or 400 bucks for a radio is a lot to me....It may not be that much of an issue for everyone, if it's what's needed for their mission profile. In fact, it might be pennies compared to other preps they've made.

The primary advantage, would be a 'Waguns radio' of sorts, if enough people adopted it, that way you could have secure communication across the state, with backwards compatibility with analog stuff, and able to contact virtually anyone in an emergency.

Crypto can also either be slaved on, or selectable, and there is a short tone to indicate that you're transmitting in the clear, instead of secure, if programmed properly. This means you can have dedicated crypto channels, or enable encryption on the fly, if you wanna talk in private.
What route would you go if you don’t need crypto?

If you don't need crypto, ie you want a simple radio with simple options, I'd probably go with a TYT MD-UV390. It has DMR capabilities, which are being implemented more and more, and it has basic waterproofing. It runs around $130. If you don't care about digital, then the Baofeng GT3WP is what I'd go with, which runs around $50...

The reason I suggest against super basic radios, is you will hit a brick wall. Virtually no way to learn more or move up to do something different. No new modes to try. Whereas if you get a better radio, you can learn all that it does, and start doing more with it.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Not encrypted.

It says it supports digital encryption. I'd have to see exactly how that's implemented, and if it's secure or just a digital squelch. There are quite a few radios that say they're encrypted, which disallow other radios from listening, but a scanner ignores the bit that says 'don't listen to this if the code doesn't match' and allows anyone to hear it.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Communications is complicated. I’m lazy and just want local comms.

I still say a good look at GoTenna Mesh

Positives:
-Simple App out of the box
-Uses your existing phone
-No need for codes
-Secure
-No license
-No Tech needed
-No monthly fees
-Ability to node and extend distances
-Send GPS location
-Local communications

Negatives
-Limited range (potentially longer with Mesh connection)
-Must have it setup prior to any disaster (download app)

Older review about the GoTenna Mesh 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIe0fma7wo

How it works review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKucfbvAcZQ

More SHTF video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVqRdfeYKc0

Cost:
2 pack $179 ($89.20 each)
4 pack $329 ($82.25 each)
8 pack $579 ($72.40 each)

Save $20
http://gotenna.refr.cc/oldkim

I need to setup a node. So thanks for my next home project.

and zero interoperability. You can't communicate or even listen to anyone who doesn't have one of these.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
So what band can citizens use with the XTS5k vhf? A large portion of VHF is Ham which means no crypto, and seems like LEO/Fire has a chunk as well (obviously a no go). Obviously in SHTF ham bands won't be an issue, but what can people use in the mean time?

You can run crypto on ham bands, but there is a particular way it has to be done. It has to be a public protocol, ie AES-256 or DES, and you have to publish the key. This makes it just another digital mode.

MURS is what I would program the radios for. While encryption on MURS is legal, there are some restrictions based on bandwidth, but not a real issue. 2W is the legal maximum power, so, while the radio is capable of 5W, and programmed for 5W, just make sure you switch to low power before you transmit... :wink05:

Quote:
Edit to add, how hard is it/is it possible to swap in a vhf motherboard/chip to a model III 800mhz? I'm seeing the chips for $45, and 7/800mhz model IIIs for under $150. Does it involve soldering and a bunch of precision work? Reprogramming?

Very easy. Like 5 minute job. it's all press fit, don't even need a screwdriver... Then you create a new codeplug, and force it into the radio, which isn't as easy and requires special software that I won't give out. The hardware and software part is super easy.. Taking maybe 15 mins total. The bigger issue is aligning the radio after.. That's an hour long job, on service equipment costing tens of thousands of dollars, and must be perfect, in order for crypto to work.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

You have to tell the radio what frequencies to operate on, what options to enable/disable, set up call lists, etc.

You can page radios, for example, send messages between radios, quite a few things.

there are radios on the market that do more, for about the same money, some of the basic DMR radios for example, but their security is kinda shit, and options for things like batteries are limited.

The community as a whole, would have to standardize on a single radio, to make things easier for everyone, without being advanced users. Being able to monitor other agencies in a disaster situation is paramount, and is something the XTS5K can do, that amateur or DMR radios can't.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

TW should be able to tell you every little thing that can be programmed, and will probably correct and clarify the rest of this...

The main thing is programming the channels you want to use. On the top there is a 16 position selector. You want to program that so each 'channel' is set to a given frequency and whatever parameters you want associated with it

The basic models don't have keypads or screens because departments hand one to an officer and give them a rundown of channels 1, 2, 3 etc... The department programs it and doesn't what it messed with. The guys on the street using the radios have no idea what frequency they are on, just what number on the radio they turn that top knob to. My dad was a cop till the mid 90's and his radio was set up like that. He gave me a cheat sheet one time with all the codes and had a list of the different channels and what they used them for

Yup, but it's easier these days, since even the basic models with no display will announce what channel their on, so no more having to remember what 'channel 4' is by heart.

Further, things are separated into zones, so, while a model 1 radio supports 48 channels, there is actually an ABC switch on the top of the radio, which can switch between 3 banks (zones) of 16 channels each. You can also set a programmable button to go up/down zones, or even use the channel selector as a ZONE selector (16 zones) and program the side buttons to go up/down channels, leading to the same 1000 channel limit as the more advanced radios, but navigation is tougher.

Most large agencies name their zones with letter-number combinations... Ie Bravo-4 = zone B- Channel 4. Motorola even made special channel selector knobs with letters instead of numbers, for agencies that use the channel select knob as a zone select knob and use the programmable keys to change channel, as mentioned above.

The other downside to a radio with no front keypad, is you don't have the ability to add, delete, or modify frequencies on the fly, you'd have to use the computer.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....this is too much info. My head is spinning. I'm gonna have to read through this several times before it sinks in.

TW, you should have a training day. Radio 101 for dummies such as myself. Maybe at the WaGuns new years shoot?

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If we’re going to do this as a group I think we need to settle on a range of frequencies then determine how we get everyone on those frequencies

I’m up for getting a ham license. It’s not that bad now that you don’t need to know Morse code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
If we’re going to do this as a group I think we need to settle on a range of frequencies then determine how we get everyone on those frequencies

I’m up for getting a ham license. It’s not that bad now that you don’t need to know Morse code

That's where a comm plan comes in.

I think the main chunk needs to be focused on 2m and VHF like MURS. MURS has longer range than FRS, and allows more flexibility.

A lot of your federal interop is on VHF, as is WSP, weather radio, etc. UHF is mostly businesses.

Ham license is easy, you got kids taking the test and passing.... But that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.... and covers a bit more than just a secure radio.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

This would help a lot. I’m radio knowledge deficient. FM to me stands for F*cking Magic.

Give me a base point to start, before I try and decide if I want to navigate around 3 letter agencies.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lemme ask this....

You have a radio...

You carry it with you in your bag, every day.

Would you rather have a radio that....

A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones.

Would you use it more if it had more capability? For example, the radio lives in your bag, but if it could listen to WSP, would you listen to it on the drive to and from work?

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next