Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another good training resource:
https://hamexam.org/

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ordered four of these to mess around with:

Motorola handheld MIC cable For XTS5000 XTS2500 MT1500 XTS3000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/252895357420

Planning on either getting my existing PTTs to work or building two amplified PTTs from scratch

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
119954483_10221330732830631_5909233692706297145_o.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:49 pm

A friend of mine has a Yaesu FT65r. Are they that hard to program manually? Can't be any harder than a Baofeng, right?

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KJ7RIV on the air!
Got to meet with TW this week- what a great guy. Thank you again for your help with the radio. Can't wait to get out on the airwaves!!!

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Right on! That is awesome!

I see you're in Everrett, you might be able to get signal in the PSRG repeater network, you could talk to me and a few others through that if so.

Let us know if you can ping it, and we can do some yappin'.

146.960, -0.6 offset, 103.5 tone.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Right on! That is awesome!

I see you're in Everrett, you might be able to get signal in the PSRG repeater network, you could talk to me and a few others through that if so.

Let us know if you can ping it, and we can do some yappin'.

146.960, -0.6 offset, 103.5 tone.

Yup. Buck Mountain voter should grab him.

147.080+ (110.9) and 147.000- (103.5) are great wide area repeaters as well

https://jeffersoncountyares.files.wordp ... eaters.pdf

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Figured out some of the wiring to connect my Comtacs to the XTS5000

Only have the receive side working so far. Connecting the PTT cuts off the speaker on the radio and sends it to the headset

I have some components coming this week to get the mic working. That’s going to take some tinkering to get the level set just right

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Got one of these, arrived a couple days ago. Very impressed, works great, made distant contacts on it, already loving this thing. Much more easily transportable than the one I made out of wire and pipe, and is dual band which is a huge plus.

And I just happened to have a GP pouch that's perfect for it.

https://n9taxlabs.com/shop/ols/products ... foot-cable

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:22 am

The length of the N9TAX roll up slim jim is 3/4 wave for 2m, 57". So call it 5 ft. With another 10ft. of RG58 coax. There is an option of a 16ft. cable for 2 bucks more.

So realistically you can get it 15ft. up, if you want to have the radio at ground level, or 20ft., if you're okay with the radio being up off the ground. I put 25 ft. of 550 cord on the end of mine. With a small loop of shock cord at the end of the antenna, to absorb shock between cord and antenna.

Thing is, now that I've been out in the field training with it, I've found it's tough to actually get a line of 550 cord much higher on a tree branch than 15 ft. Other branches and things get in the way.

It's a must to tie a rock or branch to the end of the line to not only get it that high, but to have it come back down so you can grab it and hoist the radiator up. It is true, white men can't jump.

The extra 4 ft. might be useful, if one is inclined to climb a tree to get the thing higher up, as in a patrol base or LP/OP setting, but I can't imagine an extra 4 ft. of height would be worth dealing with the extra tangle and weight of cable. Might be though.

The thing is awesome. It is a must to get out and practice with it (like any serious kit), but it is fantastic. I made contacts in Olympia, Kitsap Peninsula, Seattle, Tacoma. Glad I went dual-band, it's the only way to fly.

I can say it does not have to be perfectly flat and straight to work, just hoist it up, tie off the line, and transmit. Pretty awesome.

It works very well even from inside the house, hanging from a hook in the ceiling in the middle of my shop.

I'm considering ways to deploy and support it independently as well, without being hung up, possibly a fiberglass rod, like an electricians wire snake. That will be the next project.

I can also say that folks on the internet were right, putting it inside a pvc pipe DOES drastically alter its resonance, making it much less effective, so that's a NO-GO.

I love this thing, it was a great investment, highly recomended.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get an SWR meter on it if you haven't already...

DIY and throw n go antennas are awesome. Glad you're really getting into it..

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
I'm considering ways to deploy and support it independently as well, without being hung up, possibly a fiberglass rod, like an electricians wire snake. That will be the next project.

bruh :bigsmile:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Telescoping-Windsock-Pole-16ft/333270595091?hash=item4d9879b613:g:mDUAAOSwqWtdMINS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Telescoping-Windsock-Pole-22ft/233290592943?hash=item365133f2af:g:5tIAAOSwW4ddMINT

now, imagine you, running around with all of your kit on, with a giant fishing rod in your hands, talking into a radio :rofl9:

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I’ve got some components together to amplify the Comtac’s dynamic mic to something similar to an electret mic that the XTS5000 wants to see

I’m at a loss for how to test this before soldering it all together. I suppose I could bring my VHF off the boat to see how it sounds

Any thoughts for easier testing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Why not just talk to some folks on the air for signal check?

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

see if you can reach anyone on any of these repeaters?
https://repeaterbook.com/repeaters/prox_result.php?city=Bonney+Lake&lat=&long=&distance=25&Dunit=m&band1=14&band2=&freq=&call=&features%5B%5D=FM&features%5B%5D=P25&status_id=%25&use=%25&order=distance_calc%2C+state_id%2C+%60call%60+ASC
you can probably talk to someone and they can tell you how it sounds :wink05:

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 38  Next