Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
so i got my replacement batteries in
Spoiler: show
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-4200mAh-NTN8294-NNTN9862-Battery-for-MOTOROLA-XTS3000-3500-4250-5000/162121232220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

charged them up and ran them, got about 24 hours out of them :thumbsup2:
and, they weigh about 2x less then the old batteries that came with the radios :wink05:

Nice.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

also fukked up a little... bought this antenna without fully reading the description... and it's not made for XTS5k...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/72CM-28-3-Inch-Length-ABBREE-SMA-Female-Dual-Band-144-430Mhz-Foldable-CS-Tactica/373097313454?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited by movingviolation on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
also fukked up a little... bought this antenna without fully reading the description... and it's not made for XTS5k...
so if any of you guys out there with Baofeng radios want to try it out - i can let it go for about $20 instead of having to ship it back to the seller, i got it for $26 shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/72CM-28-3-Inch-Length-ABBREE-SMA-Female-Dual-Band-144-430Mhz-Foldable-CS-Tactica/373097313454?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Is the base too wide? Connector too long? Why doesn't it fit?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:

as it sits, the shielding at the bottom of the base is too thick, it hits the top of the channel selector's base, so it won't even start to thread in
I would have to grind it off all the way to the bare metal
and then i would have to grind down the center threaded piece as it seems to be longer as well

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by movingviolation on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
so if any of you guys out there with Baofeng radios want to try it out - i can let it go for about $20 instead of having to ship it back to the seller, i got it for $26 shipped

as it sits, the shielding at the bottom of the base is too thick, it hits the top of the channel selector's base, so it won't even start to thread in
I would have to grind it off all the way to the bare metal
and then i would have to grind down the center threaded piece as it seems to be longer as well

I was afraid of that.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nevermind, i was able to just push the shielding off the base, so it threads in just fine, going to go file down the center connector now [evil laugh] :bigsmile:
will need to trim the shield piece about 2-3mm and it should slip back on

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
nevermind, i was able to just push the shielding off the base, so it threads in just fine, going to go file down the center connector now [evil laugh] :bigsmile:
will need to trim the shield piece about 2-3mm and it should slip back on

adapt and overcome.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got one radio today

Unfortunately its the 700/800 model III. The dickbag selling the VHF model I cancelled the sale after I paid then relisted it again. Can't even leave feedback to call him out...

The good news is the radio I got cleaned up great. Charger works. It came with a programming cable and a crappy looking aftermarket mic that wasn't pictured in the listing

When I turn it on it just beeps and says "out of range" for the programmed channels. A lot of them start with "AK" so either it came for some Alaska agency of the dude was really into AKs

So with the programming cable can I hook it up to my computer and adjust things without the expensive 'turn my phone into a brick' software? I haven't looked at the chirp software to know what it can do with this radio

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Got one radio today

Unfortunately its the 700/800 model III. The dickbag selling the VHF model I cancelled the sale after I paid then relisted it again. Can't even leave feedback to call him out...

The good news is the radio I got cleaned up great. Charger works. It came with a programming cable and a crappy looking aftermarket mic that wasn't pictured in the listing

When I turn it on it just beeps and says "out of range" for the programmed channels. A lot of them start with "AK" so either it came for some Alaska agency of the dude was really into AKs

So with the programming cable can I hook it up to my computer and adjust things without the expensive 'turn my phone into a brick' software? I haven't looked at the chirp software to know what it can do with this radio

SMS sent. Chirp won't work.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can i get an SMS too? :bigsmile:
i'm transmitting on MURS but can't receive. encrypted or not. any channel.
there is interference noise coming from my computer speakers when i hit the Tx button.
made double/triple sure both radios are tuned to the same channel.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
there is interference noise coming from my computer speakers when i hit the Tx button.

Both are set to the same channel? Is one set to crypto, and the other not?

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:

Both are set to the same channel? Is one set to crypto, and the other not?

to follow up and to not leave others in the dark - issue resolved
we had Rx and Tx frequencies mismatched somehow but were able to fix it via FPP, great advantage of not having to have it hook up to a comp and do all that :thumbsup2:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looking at radio pouches, will something like this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-MBITR-PRC-148-Pouch-Case-MOLLE-Genuine-Military-USA-USMC-Thales-152-Army/133453014240?hash=item1f126b64e0:g:DloAAOSwbDpelbGz

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe a double mag pouch will fit perfectly.

I made a notch in mine for the antenna.

The 148 is a thales radio, a little thin, I don't think it'd work.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:39 pm

Yeah I'm just using a TT double mag pouch for my Baofeng, working great so far. Different radio, I know, but it's pretty forgiving.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next