Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:11 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Take some free online tests. When you can get 90%ish consistently, you'll be golden to take the real test without issue.

it is frustrating. i can get the test Q&A down but i still don't know what the hell most of it is talking about... all the terminology and shit. it's just confusing

It's like, physics and shit....

lol

But seriously, it is.

What parts are you having trouble with?

not having trouble per se, but i feel like i have to know what i'm looking at
for example this question:
What is component 4 in figure T2?
A.
Double-pole switch
B.
Transformer
C.
Potentiometer
D.
Variable inductor

without actually studying i have no idea wtf i'm looking at. yeah, i can poke at it and memorize the question but like, what is the rest of the diagram components are called, what is the diagram itself, etc?

it is physics and shit...

Look up what each of those things does.

When you know what each of them does, the picture will make perfect sense.

You're electricity, trying to flow through the diagram, each piece represents a change in state, once you know what each piece does, the diagrams will make sense.. So, what is a sharp squiggly line? Seems like it would slow things down.... It's a resistor....

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
btw, got my radios in today. both radios are in great shape, the lot actually came with 3 batteries, 2 of them are DOA however.... 1 is dead dead, the other has some charge but battery icon is flashing on the screen and when i put it in the charger both red and green lights flash consistently, indicating battery fault (according to the charger's manual) and it's not taking charge as well...
contacting the seller to see wtf they want to do about replacing these, as that was not mentioned anywhere in the auction...

You can zap the batteries with 12v to wake them up... But that's only a temp fix. Did you get an Impress charger or std charger?

they're NTN7209A, big fat ones. i don't know if it's the correct charger, it says it's output is 9.8V but batteries say they are 7.5V, won't that ruin them?

and what model replacement battery is best?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
btw, got my radios in today. both radios are in great shape, the lot actually came with 3 batteries, 2 of them are DOA however.... 1 is dead dead, the other has some charge but battery icon is flashing on the screen and when i put it in the charger both red and green lights flash consistently, indicating battery fault (according to the charger's manual) and it's not taking charge as well...
contacting the seller to see wtf they want to do about replacing these, as that was not mentioned anywhere in the auction...

You can zap the batteries with 12v to wake them up... But that's only a temp fix. Did you get an Impress charger or std charger?

they're NTN7209A, big fat ones. i don't know if it's the correct charger, it says it's output is 9.8V but batteries say they are 7.5V, won't that ruin them?

and what model replacement battery is best?

That's the standard non-Impress charger. It will work just won't do fancy stuff like conditioning.

Battery is dependent on budget. Gimme a min to link some options

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

You're electricity, trying to flow through the diagram, each piece represents a change in state, once you know what each piece does, the diagrams will make sense.. So, what is a sharp squiggly line? Seems like it would slow things down.... It's a resistor....

that's what i'm saying, i have to study here, it's not just all that simple... and who's got the time to study???
i'll just have to buy one of them there man-U-all's i guess, to keep on hand if i want to look up at what time of the day FCC allows non-licensee to operate my station to contact a foreign government to relay third party information... sheesh... :ROFLMAO:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm

To steal an idea, you could just declare your AO an autonomous zone, and you'd be exempt.

We'll sign a foreign agreement with you on behalf of the USA.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

that's what i'm saying, i have to study here, it's not just all that simple... and who's got the time to study???
i'll just have to buy one of them there man-U-all's i guess, to keep on hand if i want to look up at what time of the day FCC allows non-licensee to operate my station to contact a foreign government to relay third party information... sheesh... :ROFLMAO:

A diode blocks electricity in one direction.. Which one looks like it can only flow one way? What about a diode that emits light?

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tried connecting the dead batteries to my car jump starter pack, not sure for how long i was supposed to hold it, but i did for only a couple of minutes - no change, both are still dead

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
tried connecting the dead batteries to my car jump starter pack, not sure for how long i was supposed to hold it, but i did for only a couple of minutes - no change, both are still dead

Jesus christ.

Couple of seconds... not minutes...

Did you get the polarity right? lol

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:53 pm

I hear sirens.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:

Jesus christ.

it was more for like 30 seconds... not sure about polarity, + on the right - on the left? i saw a bit of sparks when connecting the almost dead battery, no action on the dead dead one

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:

Jesus christ.

it was more for like 30 seconds... not sure about polarity, + on the right - on the left? i saw a bit of sparks when connecting the almost dead battery, no action on the dead dead one

Just like jumping a car batt. + to +, - to -.... using the inside contacts that connect to radio, not rear contacts.

Should have said something if you couldn't have figured it out, no shame in asking for clarification, we all started somewhere..... Even I was a dumbass who connected a rechargeable battery directly to 120v mains using paper clips..lololol. That was fun....

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
20200629_153342_copy_784x1613.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Take some free online tests. When you can get 90%ish consistently, you'll be golden to take the real test without issue.

it is frustrating. i can get the test Q&A down but i still don't know what the hell most of it is talking about... all the terminology and shit. it's just confusing

lol

But seriously, it is.

A.
Double-pole switch
B.
Transformer
C.
Potentiometer
D.
Variable inductor

without actually studying i have no idea wtf i'm looking at. yeah, i can poke at it and memorize the question but like, what is the rest of the diagram components are called, what is the diagram itself, etc?

I hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-4200 ... 01NBWLU23/

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

laneends wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

lol

But seriously, it is.

A.
Double-pole switch
B.
Transformer
C.
Potentiometer
D.
Variable inductor

I hope this helps.

That's just cheating :-p

Nothing wrong with just memorizing the test to get your ticket, then familiarizing yourself as you go.

If you wanna be an appliance operator, again, no shame, but the only one you're limiting is yourself.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next