Switch to full style
SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Survival or just preventive planning.
Post a reply

Radio programming options

A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends
3%
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county
No votes
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties
14%
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones.
83%

Total votes : 35

Re: Secure radio communications : A primer

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:47 pm

movingviolation wrote:
reginald_burrito wrote:Lithium ion doesn’t behave that way, you’re thinking of NiMH batteries... that guy is dead, save your time

died in under 2 hours :thumbsdown:

Try charging it again.. drain..charge...Do that a couple times... Should give you a little bit longer each time...

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:50 pm

RocketScott wrote:What would it take to change a 700/800mHz to a VHF radio?

Say, would it be possible to buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XTS5000-800mhz-M3-Slightly-Used-A-Cond-W-FPP-DESOFB-XL-Latest-Firmware-/274004687149?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Then swap out the board with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XTS5000-BOARD-Model-1-VHF-136-174-MHZ-AES-Encryption-P25-XTS-5000/183525713403?epid=0&hash=item2abafc25fb:g:z1AAAOSwrORbiZj8

The cost would be a lot less than just buying a VHF radio. The case also looks like it's in much better shape than the VHF radios listed right now

I touched on this before...

The software and hardware modifications take minutes... But unless you have a $12k Aeroflex service monitor, you're not gonna have a good time. You can steal a tuning file from another radio, but that will only get you in the ballpark. Not a big deal if you're just doing analog, but if you're doing crypto, which is the point of a radio like this, then it has to be tuned properly... The slightest bit off and it doesn't work..

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 pm

reginald_burrito wrote:Lithium ion doesn’t behave that way, you’re thinking of NiMH batteries... that guy is dead, save your time

Batteries for these come in all 3 flavors... Ni-cd, Ni-Mh, and Li-Ion. Li-Ion is a relatively new thing for the XTS, odds are it's Ni-Mh.... I told him not to do a Li-Ion, and the batteries are labelled what chemistry they are...

Ni-Cd can be recovered quite well, Ni-Mh, not so much. Li-Ion, not at all.

Getting new batteries is the best route, but I gave him those options to at least get him something working, which is better than nothing.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:05 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:

Try charging it again.. drain..charge...Do that a couple times... Should give you a little bit longer each time...

nah it's fukt, already showing green now, so just about 1 hour of charging...

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:10 pm

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:

nah it's fukt, already showing green now, so just about 1 hour of charging...

and you said it only charged for 15 mins last time....

It's progress.... :-p

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:12 pm

FYI you have a rapid charger, so if it's charging for an hour, that should be roughly 2AH, depending on the battery.

What is the battery model number?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 pm

http://www.oppermann-telekom.de/pdf/ntn7209.pdf

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:22 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:FYI you have a rapid charger, so if it's charging for an hour, that should be roughly 2AH, depending on the battery.

What is the battery model number?

NNTN4435B
alternate to
NTN8923A

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:27 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:http://www.oppermann-telekom.de/pdf/ntn7209.pdf

i found the manual earlier, tried the little troubleshooting it does offer, no luck

so but the manual lists battery model#'s that are proper for it, so does that mean i have a wrong battery / charger combo then?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:34 pm

movingviolation wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:http://www.oppermann-telekom.de/pdf/ntn7209.pdf

i found the manual earlier, tried the little troubleshooting it does offer, no luck

so but the manual lists battery model#'s that are proper for it, so does that mean i have a wrong battery / charger combo then?

You have an Impres battery but not an impres charger. It will still charge fine.

The battery you listed is only 1800mah to begin with, and is Ni-Mh.

Should be a roughly 1A charge rate, so if it charged an hour, that's a bit less than 1000mah.... Going from 250mah to 1AH in one cycle is actually a good sign.... Try depleting it and recharging it a couple times.. You might be able to actually get some use out of it, even if it's just for monitoring.

Impres is a smart battery technology that allows smart maintenance, depth of discharge, cycles and cycles remaining. It's nifty, but not required. It helps when you're managing a fleet though as the smart battery can say 'hey, I'm not taking a charge like I'm supposed to, I need to be replaced'... Instead of having dead batteries you just swap out for a fresh one 3x a shift..

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:40 pm

it just died, in 34 minutes.
recharging again

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:44 pm

movingviolation wrote:it just died, in 34 minutes.
recharging again

Worst case scenario. It goes in the trash, which we already know, and you wasted 10 mins putting it in the charger and taking it out. If you can get it back to somewhat decent capacity, you'll at least have something to dick around with until the replacements get in.

:bigsmile:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:15 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:

So would radio depot or someone like that be able to do that service? It's over a $100 difference in price so if they charged $50 to tune it there's still some savings

Stupid question #2:

Say you buy a Model I with no screen or keypad. Can one be added on later? I see screens, keypads and cases for sale and the total for buying a Model I then adding those things would still be a lot less

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:
movingviolation wrote:it just died, in 34 minutes.
recharging again

Worst case scenario. It goes in the trash, which we already know, and you wasted 10 mins putting it in the charger and taking it out. If you can get it back to somewhat decent capacity, you'll at least have something to dick around with until the replacements get in.

:bigsmile:

I have 1 good battery, i got 2 radios and 3 batteries, 2 shitty and one good one, it's still going strong since about 1645

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:43 pm

RocketScott wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

So would radio depot or someone like that be able to do that service? It's over a $100 difference in price so if they charged $50 to tune it there's still some savings

Stupid question #2:

Say you buy a Model I with no screen or keypad. Can one be added on later? I see screens, keypads and cases for sale and the total for buying a Model I then adding those things would still be a lot less

Shop rate is about $125 for an alignment.

Yes, you can buy a model 1 in VHF, then add on the components to make it a model 3 without dicking with tracking data (tuning info).
Post a reply