Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Where do you start preparing 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This could go any possible direction depending on your needs, your wants, your plans ect ect. By my own nature I guess I am a prepper, and by that I mean I strive to be self sufficient in as many aspects as I can. There is always room to improve no matter how well prepared you think you might be

OK we are on a gun forum. So we all have guns, we have ammo, hopefully we have training with those weapons. From basic muscle memory (range time, testing your kit even if it is multiple kits that are set up for any given situation) dry fire oh ya that stuff. Ya I harp on dry fire, but always room to improve. Do you reload? Have you a stock of components? Have you worked up loads for given rifles to fit your needs? If you are part of a group does your reloads fit you group members weapons should they need a resupply?

Energy. I delved into this heavy with my woodgas trucks 2 years ago. I have a back up solar array and battery bank. Generators on standby, fuel, propane, cooking tools

Food! I just recently bought a house and diving into gardening, canning, freezing, dehydrating ect. Growing my own as I can. Now working with some chickens, next year will be hogs and rabbits. Striving for the self sufficiency.

Vehicles, if that is a asset you can utilize in your area of operations

Water! Do you have filters? Storage? Boiling, tablets ect ect. I picked my house purchase location for very nearby clean water source

Movement. Do you have room to move, can you move? Do you need to move. What terrain will you be traversing? Do you know how to land navigate? Do you have maps of your ao? Do you know back roads alleys rivers valleys ect ect

Physical fitness. OK up to this point in my vague list, this is where I fell flat in my preps.you can do just about any prep with a bank card from your couch. And I get it not everyone needs to be in tip top physical Condition, not everyone can be. Old age, agitated injuries serious physical limitations yes I get it. But I started this thread so I'm using myself as a example

Every prep in the world, means fawk all if you can't get up and use it. And every situation is going to be different and the bottom line yes its all larping yes its all mental masterbation. Until it isn't.

Can you sprint 100 yards and get accurate rounds on target?
Can you evade for 2-3 miles at a dead sprint to save your life?
Can you do it in full kit?
Should something big happen how far are you from home when your at work, and can you get home on those lamborfeetis? Can them shoebarus hold up? I'm 55 miles from home...
How is your cardio....

I recently did a 22 mile ruck march. First time i have ever done any time of large movement. Talk about a wake up call.

I was recently challenged to run a mile for time. 10:22 was my time. Oh how far I have fallen from high school running a 7:32. I could not even run it I had to take walking breaks.

After both the mile and the ruck, my legs have taken 1-2 days to recover fully

The ruck I was 60lbs, the mile I was slick no gear

If something were to happen and your family needs you the provider the protector home NOW, is adrenaline really going to get you there, or is your body going to fall flat and fail long before you get there

This is where I am at with my preps, I'm now realizing the cliche of what garand thumb and many others have parrots for so many years, is no doubt grounded in absolute truth.
Without training, your going to die. That training could mean so many things of working with and perfecting your preps. One of your preps is the body that is going to get you there. Carry that gear, drive that truck, haul that water, till that soil, carry that child

Where did you get started, where do you know you need to improve, and do you think you have actually mastered any single prep or is there always room to learn and train more

Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're leap-years ahead of ninety nine percent of America, I'd wager. Seems to me the only holes I see in what you said was hardening of you power supply and well-head. Maybe learning how to jerk and otherwise preserve fish and meats without using grid power?

Don't forget to forge ties of like minded folk in your immediate A.O. without divulging the scope of your preps/stores.

Me? Covid and old age has erased a lot of the preps and fitness I tried to accumulate over the years.

Wear and tear on the body that probably won't get better... Run? Ha! I tore a ligament in my left knee doing that a year and a half ago and destroyed my right knee recently. Add on degenerative injury from age. I used to go on multi-week treks through the mountains with the necessary very heavy packs. Not sure I could do that still and if so, it won't be at a trot.

Still do weight training, stretching (and modified burpees!! - no jumping) PT is a lifestyle and you can't stop.

Keep going, man. You're setting a standard for the rest of us to follow.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flesh out that library and learn new skills. After the dust settles there will be a great need for people with practical skills.

Most people can't even cook food from scratch.

Soap making, locate and build a latrine. Death from germs and filth are coming back.

Local plants for food and medicine.

There is much to learn that is essential and so very few have even pondered the need.

No matter how much one squirrels away and stockpileds eventually it will all be used up. Then what?

Learn how to turn piss into black powder. Got a muzzleloader?

Know the medicinal properties of piss? Piss for fertilizer ... are you even collecting and saving this valuable resource?

Etc

Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m pretty good.

Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you're well on your way. The first step is to get out of the city or suburbs, and if you can't you better have a great retreat spot that won't have armed squatters already there when you arrive with your family.

A mutual support network is far more important than your individual preps. Friends > stuff. Isolated preppers, particularly if they can't hide the fact they have X (power, water, food) when no one else does, will be a target. There are still extremely remote spots in the Lower 48, but that doesn't mean they are great places to hide.

Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having a Groupe, tribe, family of hard-core trained defensive guys is a must yes and I have been working on that as well networking with local guys going out and training with them and stuff. The house is about as tucked away in the mountains and defensible as I could afford with a 300,000$ home loan. I'm 30+ miles from the nearest area I would consider to be urban. But that being said if I had to get home from work when anything went hot I would have 20 miles of urban to get through before I hit the mountains. And then one HELL of a trek to get home from there. Hence my now switched focus to training cardio and building my body uo to a point that if things went down in a quick fashion I would at least have a chance to make it home to all those preps

Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]