Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Digital preppers 

Traditional prepping as I understand it concerns mostly with collapse of physical infrastructure, societal break down in law and order, physical survival under these conditions... As a computer geek, though, I feel that what is also or even more likely is loss of liberty in totalitarian govt take over. Total thought control, total or almost total loss of constitutional rights, total surveillance, "re-education camps" and "cancellation". Everybody's digital footprint (purchases, online searches, browsing history, every posts, tweets, facial recognitions) is available for cross-referencing analysis and search - and everybody can be arbitrarily "computed" for cancellation and precisely targeted. Current projection for commercial cloud computing market for government agencies use in a few years worldwide exceeds $100bln... So perhaps modern "prepping" should also consider prepping the identity digital footprint for reduction or living "off-grid". At least basic things for "digital prepper" - have email address untraceable to you and content of a mailbox encrypted, use proper VPNs to protect internet traffic origin tracing to you , etc. Having these skills I'd think could be also essential to win these liberties back... Thoughts?

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:57 pm

I dont really know anything about computers, but i do know i got rid of most social media a few years ago. I guess this is all that i have left and i had forgotten about this website for a while. I would like to do better about being completely anonymous while online but i have no idea where to start really.

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:38 am

I think going anonymous means preventing any way to track your online persona attributes to your physical persona... The process of going anonymous therefore can broken down in several groups of attributes.

We can start as a first step with your internet connection itself: your computer gets assigned a random unique address (IP) every time you connect to internet by your service provider. The service provider is normally geographically close to you. You can see your current IP as seen by online services here: https://whatismyipaddress.com . It will also show the geolocation of your ISP too. Check how close it is to you. With cooperation of your service provider your current IP (or logged earlier) can be tracked to your home device.

So we might start with public VPN (Virtual Private Network). VPN will make your traffic encrypted in transit and appear to online services coming from one of a VPN servers that can be anywhere in the world- even from another country. Your choice. So online services have a hard time to track you. VPN provider itself normally would be based in another country jurisdiction and their business is your privacy. Their services can be free or paid. Free can be lousy and slow :) Paid are not that expensive. But "paid" means VPN guys do know who you are. :) ((There're ways to make anonymous online payments too - but that's more advanced topic. We need to get on VPN first. Later when and if we build up mostly anonymous persona - it can be used to create anonymously paid VPN account) But origin of your traffic should be relatively safe from casually prying eyes which is everyone :)

To research VPNs further: https://www.vpnreviewsbest.com/

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Internet security (VPNs, Tor, encrypted email, etc) is analogous to a gun safe in this case. Even the best security won't stop someone with enough resources and time from getting in.

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:05 pm

scrid2000 wrote:
Internet security (VPNs, Tor, encrypted email, etc) is analogous to a gun safe in this case. Even the best security won't stop someone with enough resources and time from getting in.

True. However, it helps not to be known to have safes with guns to prevent burglary. And that what online hygiene is after - not to become a data point in the massive data mining and profiling operation which is a modern internet.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 pm

We can all take proper steps to make our online footprints harder to track, however with the amount of technology in our lives, if someone wants to know about us, they can.

For example, if you have a smartphone everything the microphone can pick up can be heard and recorded, anything the camera sees can be recorded, your car if it was equipped with onstar or similar service has a GPS tracker that can be activated, if you have a sirius or XM radio receiver in your car it can be tracked.

The hope is that noone will ever use this technology against us, but ever since the patriot act we have been giving up our digital privacy little by little until we will live in a very 1984 like society

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]