Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Helmet option on the cheap? 

I have a Kevlar helmet that bought from bulletproofme.com years ago. The helmets are a lot more expensive now. I was just using around the neck gun mufflers but they are rated at 20 dB noise reduction only. I later bought a set of Walker Razors electronic gun mufflers instead. They fit fine with the chin strap adjusted.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 pm

I too prefer added coverage of the ACH.

Blocks a little hearing, especially at night (purely subjective of course). In the old days, we'd take our Kpots off when conducting SLLS. I still do that when not running the ear pro underneath.

However, most good modern ear pro (at least mine do) enhance hearing a little, and the inputs are low, below the rim of the helmet, making this less of an issue these days.

Legend has it, the whole reason in the beginning for high cut was maritime use, so when you hit the water with it on, it doesn't "grab" so hard, causing neck injuries.

I guess from there it just caught on, as it does create a lighter, and slimmer profile, and I guess more long-term comfort, as the ear pro can be attached to the rails.

Fortunately I don't know what I'm missin'! I do think more coverage is an advantage though, with the full cut pattern.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Foxhole in Lakewood had a few ACH’s and the little Korean shop across the street had a whole stack of PASGTS

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:08 pm
FFL / Dealer

I picked up a mint PASGT for $25 last year and added an Oregon Areo pad kit. I’d like to get something that will allow electronic ear pro, but the prices on helmets are higher than I want to spend.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

czgunner wrote:
I picked up a mint PASGT for $25 last year and added an Oregon Areo pad kit. I’d like to get something that will allow electronic ear pro, but the prices on helmets are higher than I want to spend.
There’s a couple places online that show how to take a PASGT and chop it up to better fit people’s needs. If you don’t want to spend any additional money that might work

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:47 pm
FFL / Dealer

NotAMerc wrote:
czgunner wrote:
There’s a couple places online that show how to take a PASGT and chop it up to better fit people’s needs. If you don’t want to spend any additional money that might work

Interesting. Do you have links or names of the places you mentioned?

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

czgunner wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
czgunner wrote:

Interesting. Do you have links or names of the places you mentioned?
Just google “cutting PASGT helmet” and you’ll be inundated with videos and story links

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Once again, the right ear pro will fit under a full cut helmet just fine, FYI.

I spent most of last night in the woods with it on, no issue at all.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
I have two ACH surplus purchased a years ago for $100 each, and recently bought another ACH and a PASGT (you can buy a cheap ACH internal replacement padding) for relatively cheap, around $70 each. Helmets are valuable. Got 3 in my size (XL and L) for adult men, and one in a Medium for a female or youth. I paint them for different terrain/seasons.

Why so many helmets? You have more than one head?

I DO understand the XL sizing tho.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2