Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Magnesium Fire Starters 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheetos or hand sanitizer also can help in a pinch. I use hand sanitizer while hiking. Cheetos - tried for fun - they worked like a charm. Thx whatever survival show I saw that on. "Survival Man"?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:09 am

SeattleBenito wrote:
Cheetos or hand sanitizer also can help in a pinch. I use hand sanitizer while hiking. Cheetos - tried for fun - they worked like a charm. Thx whatever survival show I saw that on. "Survival Man"?

It was Fritos...not Cheetos I beleive.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hahah true true. I was thinking Fritos and saying Cheetos. Cheetos are nasty and look like orange cat turds. Fritos just look like nasty curled up yellow old man toe nails. Yum. Yellow and nasty and salty but they work.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was curious how the HF magnesium starters would work because I have several of them. I grabbed one just now and gave it a try. I shaved a fairly small amount, far less than the "quarter-sized" pile they call for. It took several scrapes of the striker bar to get a flame, but it wasn't that hard to do. I tried scraping the metal with the provided scraper, and it'd work in a pinch I guess, but the back of my knife was much faster & produced larger curls of metal. The biggest problem I encountered was the wind trying to blow all my little shavings away. I had to keep scraping them back together into a pile.

After watching the one in the OP video, I wonder where he got his from, because the HF ones seem to work just fine. And they're definitely made in China.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
I was curious how the HF magnesium starters would work because I have several of them. I grabbed one just now and gave it a try. I shaved a fairly small amount, far less than the "quarter-sized" pile they call for. It took several scrapes of the striker bar to get a flame, but it wasn't that hard to do. I tried scraping the metal with the provided scraper, and it'd work in a pinch I guess, but the back of my knife was much faster & produced larger curls of metal. The biggest problem I encountered was the wind trying to blow all my little shavings away. I had to keep scraping them back together into a pile.

After watching the one in the OP video, I wonder where he got his from, because the HF ones seem to work just fine. And they're definitely made in China.

If you have any duct tape in your kit, you can make a loop, sticky side out, and scrap your shavings on to that. The adhesive will help hold the shavings, and it burn pretty nice too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ImageImageImage

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2