Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Ham Radio Thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another resource:
https://pam-radio.com/

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:27 pm

While it could be overwhelming for the uninitiated, the "radio reference" site listed below has a wealth of information across the wide gamut of radio use, e.g., commercial, Emergency scanners, Aerocraft/Satellite/ L>H wave monitoring, Storm chasing, Amateur (Ham), as well as listing individual state info.

The members are very accommodating on their relative accurate specific info to other's technical problems.

The site has tabs for: database for state level frequencies, etc., live audio, wiki info, and classified for the whole spectrum of radio equipment!

https://forums.radioreference.com/

Days worth of reading getting up to speed on the broad breath of your "itch" of radio usage!

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The word encryption should not be used in the context of Ham Radio.

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mange wrote:
The word encryption should not be used in the context of Ham Radio.

I've discussed how and why encryption can be used legally in amateur radio.

It's a digital mode, published, and accessible.

Just like pistol braces, it comes down to INTENT. If you can 1. Find me, and 2. Prove I was using it to obscure my message and not experiment with digital modes, let me know.. :wink05:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't do digital, so I don't know how I feel about that. It does go against the theory and the sprit of the rule. Still think you should not promote it.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:33 pm

Mange wrote:
I don't do digital, so I don't know how I feel about that. It does go against the theory and the sprit of the rule. Still think you should not promote it.

:facepalm2: whatever man.....

TW, don't change a thing with what you're doing. You've helped many folks in this community progress in communications, including me. I've learned alot from you, and I appreciate it.

Drive on, as you were.

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't have integrity, what do you have?

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mange wrote:

So, you're saying that, operating a radio, in a digital mode, that you don't think is allowed, is an ethical issue?

The FCC has given itself authority over the laws of physics..... but I'm the one out of line?

:ROFLMAO:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:53 pm

Mange wrote:

HA! Are you fucking kidding me dude? Are you one of those overgrown hall monitors I sometimes bump into on the air?

Fucking pathetic.

Keep rockin' TW.

Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mange wrote:

Sooo, you went from posting on the 9th that you didn’t know how ‘you feel’, but since then, you apparently decided how you feel...

And now are challenging the integrity of someone you’ve never met, based on your newly discovered feelings?

Classy

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe He's stating the fact that using encryption on Ham frequency's is illegal, not digital encryption of the Freq, but encrypting the message. is a federal offence. And brow beating a member is supposedly an offence on this site. so is this how we are going down the Rabbit hole on this subject?

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DblTapp wrote:
I believe He's stating the fact that using encryption on Ham frequency's is illegal, not digital encryption of the Freq, but encrypting the message. is a federal offence. And brow beating a member is supposedly an offence on this site. so is this how we are going down the Rabbit hole on this subject?

Encryption is not illegal, and in some places, might even be required to prevent unauthorized access by non-hams, ie HAMWAN.

Intending to obscure a message, is against the rules... Running a digital mode for testing, that happens to be encrypted, is fine, provided your intent isn't to obscure the message.

Quote:
§ 97.309 RTTY and data emission codes.
(a) Where authorized by §§ 97.305(c) and 97.307(f) of the part, an amateur station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using the following specified digital codes:

(1) The 5-unit, start-stop, International Telegraph Alphabet No. 2, code defined in ITU-T Recommendation F.1, Division C (commonly known as “Baudot”).

(2) The 7-unit code specified in ITU-R Recommendations M.476-5 and M.625-3 (commonly known as “AMTOR”).

(3) The 7-unit, International Alphabet No. 5, code defined in IT--T Recommendation T.50 (commonly known as “ASCII”).

(4) An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a digital code specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, such as CLOVER, G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose of facilitating communications.

Quote:
§ 97.113 Prohibited transmissions.
(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(...)
(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification.

(herein, being Part 97)

Thus, you can use codes, provided that the intent isn't to obscure the meaning.

Otherwise, one could argue that tactical callsigns during events, and even Q codes, are illegal....

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

agreed, That's what I said, Encrypting the message...... I may have missed Mange's intent, it's how it sounded to me. I have been a Ham for a really long time and I applaud what you've been trying to do here. But I get the feeling that some others are trying to use these radio systems in ways that have nothing to do with Prepping. And I for one don't want Ham radio to end up like the CB world. Now there's a Wasteland......Just sayin.......

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DblTapp wrote:
agreed, That's what I said, Encrypting the message...... I may have missed Mange's intent, it's how it sounded to me. I have been a Ham for a really long time and I applaud what you've been trying to do here. But I get the feeling that some others are trying to use these radio systems in ways that have nothing to do with Prepping. And I for one don't want Ham radio to end up like the CB world. Now there's a Wasteland......Just sayin.......

The 'Waguns freq' is NOT a ham freq for that very reason. If someone wants tactical comms, they can use it.

I've been trying to get more people into ham radio, and as radios get less expensive with more features, and things like DMR linked repeaters, hotspots, etc get more user friendly, it allows a lot more people to see some use in it.

Not everyone has the interest, time, or money, to want to do HF contesting, or SOTA activations, and I get that...I try to push ham at an angle that a lot of people would understand.. communications without needing outside infrastructure...

It only takes an hour without a cellphone, or 30 minutes with no internet, to make people realize they need to get information, SOMEHOW... and ham radio can absolutely fill that hole.. But too many people forget about it the second the power/cellphone/internet comes back on, forgetting that there may be cases where it doesn't come back on,for weeks, months, or ever...

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, No disagreement at all with any of this, I only wanted to reinforce that the "definition" of encryption was important when it comes to Ham radio use, and commercial / Business Band are a different animal when these radios are used. And when a member want's to bring that difference up, he get's shouted down...That's not what this site is about. My opinion, and Mine alone.

Again, Thanks for your work, here.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next