Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How to program your UV5R 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be splitting this into a couple sections....

This is gonna be fun!

Programming these radios is VERY easy, thanks to those that have developed CHIRP..

CHIRP started out as a universal radio programmer, and has really come into its own, automating quite a few things that used to take hours.

We are going to assume a few things here....

1. You plugged in your USB cable, and installed the drivers.
2. You installed CHIRP, available from https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

First thing you want to do is launch the application, and read the radio...

Make sure the radio is off, USB end is plugged in, then plug in the radio end, then power on the radio...

Then go to Radio -> Download from radio.

Go to the next screen, and it should download the (nothing, if it's new) information that's in the radio.

Attachment:
read.jpg

I'll show you how to program specific things, in the next section.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to program FRS/GMRS frequencies...

Disclaimer: The UV5R is not type accepted for use on FRS, due to the fact that it has a removable antenna (Yeah, it's dumb) and GMRS frequencies do require a license. Make sure you obey all federal regulations.

Remember I said CHIRP has made a lot of strides in how easy they make things?

So, CHIRP is open....

Read your radio....

Navigate to File -> Import

Attachment:
import1.jpg

Then select Stock Configs -> US FRS AND GMRS CHANNELS.CSV

Attachment:
FRS1.jpg

Follow the prompts.. (click OK)

Attachment:
import2.jpg

Then go to Radio -> upload to radio, and you're done!

Attachment:
upload.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to program MURS frequencies...

Disclaimer: MURS has power and bandwidth limitations. Make sure you follow all applicable laws.

Follow the instructions above for FRS/GMRS, except instead of choosing US FRS AND GMRS, you're going to select, you guessed it, US MURS.

Attachment:
MURS1.jpg

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to program marine (boating) frequencies..

I feel like I'm a broken record here.... but CHIRP makes it so easy..

Follow instructions above, but select MARINE channels.....

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to program ham radio repeaters, by county.....

Read the radio, or open your saved radio file.

Next, you'll click on Radio -> Import from data source -> RepeaterBook -> Repeaterbook political query.

Attachment:
county.jpg

From the dropdown menu, you'll select your state, and county.

Make sure BAND is set to ALL.

Attachment:
county2.jpg

The software is smart enough to remove frequencies and modes that aren't supported by the radio. In this case, one is a 220 mhz repeater, that the radio isn't capable of, and a digital 440 Mhz repeater, that the radio is not capable of, so it removes it from the list.

Hit OK, then program the radio.

Attachment:
county3.jpg

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to program ham radio repeaters, by geographic area...

This is the better way to grab frequencies, IMO.

Radio waves don't stop at county lines, and there are some very wide coverage repeaters ,that, if you were to program by county, you'd completely miss as they're on the side of a mountain and cover hundreds and in some cases thousands of square miles.

This will allow you set a radius from a given point, and include all repeaters in a given range....

I'll use Olympia as my center, and choose 35 miles from there, in this example...

Once again, we'll start off by reading the radio, or opening a saved file...

Then you'll click on Radio -> Import from data source -> RepeaterBook -> Repeaterbook Proximity query

Attachment:
prox1.jpg

Next, you'll enter the location, by city and state, or zip code, and the distance around that point, in this case, 35 miles, as mentioned.

Attachment:
prox2.jpg

Again, you'll see the invalids have been removed automatically, and you'll just click OK...

Attachment:
prox3.jpg

Then, just program the radio....

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to program public safety frequencies (use as a basic scanner)

It is EXTREMELY important that you follow proper instructions to make sure you DO NOT allow your radio to be programmed in a way that would allow you to transmit on public safety frequencies. Failure to properly program your radio, or allowing your radio to transmit on public safety frequencies carries very stiff penalties.

In this case, we're going to be using RadioReference, and I'll be using Thurston County as a starting point.

Assuming you have read the radio or you've opened a saved file.. You're going to make sure 'show blank channels' is selected, so you can add frequencies in where you need them...

Attachment:
ps1.jpg

Next, we are going to use a browser and navigate to Radioreference, Washington, then click on the county you're interested in... In this case, Thurston County...

Attachment:
ps2.jpg

Here, you'll see we want to program in Fire Dispatch, countywide... We need to pay attention to 3 very important things...

First, is the RX frequency, in this case, 154.43 Mhz, and second is PL or CTCSS code, which is 88.5.
The 3rd is the bandwidth of the frequency, which, 99.9% of the time is going to be Narrow FM, which can be shown as NFM or FMN depending on where you're looking. This is under the MODE heading....

Attachment:
ps3.jpg

Next, we will take that information, and put it into CHIRP, on channel 1...

Double click on Frequency, and either copy/paste,or manually type the frequency.

The next column is the NAME... I'm gonna keep it short and sweet, and call it "TCFD 1".

The next column is ToneSql. by selecting a CTCSS tone in the 'ToneSql' tab, it autopopulates the Tone Mode tab with TSQL, which is Tone Squelch, which is what we want.

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - We're going to skip a couple columns, and you're going to select the DUPLEX field, and select OFF.. This tells the radio to NOT transmit on that channel when you press the PTT..

Next is the Mode field, which we will change to NFM.

Your end result should look like this...

Attachment:
ps4.jpg

Repeat this process for any other frequencies that you want to add to your radio, and then upload to the radio.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Answered questions...

As people ask questions, I'll post them, and answer here...

The first thing I see happening, is people wondering why they have their radio and it's not showing the channel names...

1. You need to be in memory mode... So, press the VFO/MR button
2. You need channel names enabled...

You can enable channel names either through the keypad, via the following keypress...
Menu - 2 - 2 - Menu - (up/down arrow until NAME appears) -Menu - Exit

OR

Through software, in Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (A) / Display Mode (B)

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(reserved 3) future use

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yesssssss

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Yesssssss

I'll be adding both ham sections probably later tonight...

Eventually I'll also add public safety freqs.... which will actually work quite well for you since everyone in your area, except Mason county, and WSP, use analog VHF.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:53 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, got it all downloaded and installed. EASY!!

Now, can I make this a personal walkie-talkie without needing the License?

Also, you haz venmo? I no paypal (yes, I know they are the same freaking company).

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now you can listen in to antifa when they are doing their coordinated protests downtown!

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

NotAMerc wrote:
Now you can listen in to antifa when they are doing their coordinated protests downtown!

I'd love to... Know their freq's?

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

I'd love to... Know their freq's?
Sent you a pm

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next