Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Canned chicken 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently on sale @ Winco, $1.68 /10 oz can, usually nets about 8 oz of meat.

I'm finding, in my situation, that canned chicken is amazing. Easy way to get some protein, shelf stable for over a year, easy to add to just about anything (salads, pasta, tortillas/burritos,etc). Sodium is lower on the Winco brand than I've seen in other varieties, with no chunks of fat or other remnants. The chicken is in some good sized chunks, with smaller chunks to make up the remaining weight. Of course, it's fully cooked, so no need for heating. Add it to some canned beans for a quick high protein, no cooking required meal...

Chicken is usually around 2$/lb, so, roughly 3$/lb for shelf stable chicken that doesn't require refrigeration, is a win for me. Yeah, it weighs a lot more, and takes up more space than freeze dried or dehydrated chicken, but at a fraction of the price.

It does have that traditional canned smell (like tuna), but it does actually taste like chicken.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whats the sodium content though?

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
Whats the sodium content though?

The Winco brand was lower compared to the other brands I was looking at, but not that low. There are low/no sodium added canned chicken, but I haven't been able to find any locally, and the cost of ordering it online makes it not that great of a deal.

I wanna say it was ~250mg/10% RDV for a 2 oz serving, BUT, that includes the water weight, so if you're not drinking the water, you're also not getting a lot of the salt. I don't know how much salt is in the chicken vs in the water, but it should be equal. So, if you're losing 2-4oz of weight in water, you're also only getting 3-4 servings of sodium, and not 5.. (10 oz can, 2 oz servings)... Similarly, the protein is in the chicken, not the water... So, straining the chicken well should reduce the sodium by quite a bit.

If you wanted to further reduce the sodium, you can dump the water that's in there, and put more water in and let it sit for a bit, which will draw salt out of the chicken, but that's a waste of water in a SHTF situation.

Even if 1 can is 50% (probably closer to 35% when you strain out the water) of your RDV for sodium intake, it has 55g of protein.... So, that's a HUGE boost in situations where calories and protein are gonna be in relatively short supply.

It's not optimal, for sure. But comparing 3$/lb for a ready to eat product vs 10$/lb (or more) for a product that requires prep... Is a good trade off, IMO. You always sacrifice something for convenience... You can get no salt added/salt free beans (like I do) and mix them together. While the salt free beans are normally bland as hell, the added sodium from the chicken makes them taste a LOT better....

I'm always looking for better options, and definitely not saying my option is the best for everyone....

Edit: It appears Hormel no salt added, which only has 80mg (3%RDV) of sodium per serving, is available at Walmart, for $1.44/5 ounces. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hormel-Premi ... z/10801001

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the way. Walmart is the best place to get Keystone canned meats.
Best part is that the meat is canned, sealed and the can is then cooked.

What this means is NO added water. a little bit of salt. And generally very good tasting meats. The broth int he can is from the meat itself. I have found Keystone to be the best choice for canned meats.
The Yoders chicken and Turkey is pretty good but stay away from the rest. The cuts of the beef and pork usually have way more fat and tendons than the keystone.
The Hamdburger btw the way is really bad. (Think Taco Bell beef and you get the idea. VERY low quality.)

the biggest advantage of Keystone method is the meat will keep much longer than the other stuff that is cooked then canned. Keystone meats have a minimum 5 year shelf life and based on testing is still edible after 10 15 and 20 years.
Want to know more shoot me a PM.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This and also Australian or New Zealand corned beef.
:thumbsup2:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

surevaliance wrote:

Where to buy this?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Product of Chunky Australia?

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

I that way read too it. :bigsmile: :rofl9: icon_eek :ROFLMAO:

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
surevaliance wrote:

Where to buy this?

Saar’s
WinCo

Pablo wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

I that way read too it. :bigsmile: :rofl9: icon_eek :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: :rofl9:

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WinCo Bellingham had NONE of the above (aussie beef). Only overpriced Brasil beef (corned) in a can.

I did buy the WinCo branded 10oz Chicken BREAST, $1.68, but it has water. Just one can as a test, wife was giving me the stink eye.

I will hit the WalWord soon, look for Keystone meats. Yeah I never did chase down the griddle.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costco canned chicken has reasonable sodium. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chich627 wrote:
Costco canned chicken has reasonable sodium. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to be about the same as the Winco.

Just keep in mind that's per serving.

Nice of them to base it off drained, though.

Bad news is, that's 9% RDV of the DRAINED weight, meaning you're still getting almost 1/3rd of your daily salt intake from one can.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]