Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The most cost effective and reliable hand gun for a BOB 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With out a doubt the Ruger P series in 9mm..P89/P85...prove me wrong...I bet you cant

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:14 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Weight is always a concern for a BOB. Ruger p series are heavy. I’d lean toward the Glock 17 or 19. They can be found sub $400. Lighter than the ruger. Mag compatible with many carbines so your sidearm and carbine can share the same ammo and mags for redundancy.

The Ruger makes a better hammer though.

Eta- glock threaded barrels are cheap and plentiful. A good bug out gun should be able to be run suppressed IMO.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Advantage, Sinus211.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Weight is always a concern for a BOB. Ruger p series are heavy. I’d lean toward the Glock 17 or 19. They can be found sub $400. Lighter than the ruger. Mag compatible with many carbines so your sidearm and carbine can share the same ammo and mags for redundancy.

Eta- glock threaded barrels are cheap and plentiful. A good bug out gun should be able to be run suppressed IMO.

The most cost effective ? Rugers can be had for 300. I agree with most of what you said..SUB2000 Glock mags and whatever, but I am only talking hand gun..thats it..show me a more reliable 9mm for under 300 and one that will not fail for that price...Okay..no YEET cannons

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know the economics of it today, but 20 years ago, I went thru that thought process.

I bought two ammo cans, 1000rds of ammo, and two CZ52s. I also bought a spare 9x19 barrel.

Each can got 500rds, a gun, a holster, and three mags. I didn't bother putting any 9mm ammo in there, but more as a just in case.

These ammo cans are stashed at non-gun friends homes in Eastern Washington. They can sit. Looked at one earlier this year, just to see how it was holding up after two decades. Looked the same as when I last looked 10 years ago.

I want to think that I'm basically $350 into all of it. At the time, $100/125 CZ52s were 'good deals', but not unheard of.

For bug out, seems pretty good. If for some reason, I never saw them again, due to disaster, human factors, or my own mobility, I'll not worry about them.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I remember correctly, all P series had the same problem - plastic rails.
Oh, that’s P95.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:59 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

munchie wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

The most cost effective ? Rugers can be had for 300. I agree with most of what you said..SUB2000 Glock mags and whatever, but I am only talking hand gun..thats it..show me a more reliable 9mm for under 300 and one that will not fail for that price...Okay..no YEET cannons

I’m kind of a nerd on the mag compatible setups. The sub2k is ok. I have one that’s pretty well outfitted and a Glock 17 to mate with it. A pmr30 and a cmr30 sbr for mag compatibility. That’s been an important focus for me on not just the weight aspect of matching sidearm to carbine but also the overall function and ability to carry.

If a sidearm is all you plan to carry in your BOB, I gotta be honest, I’d still favor the Glock. I bought my g17 for $350. Even if that’s not a realistic price in today’s market, let’s say $450. Does it cost more than the ruger? Yes. Is it easier to carry and cheaper to outfit than the ruger? Yes. Is it still an affordable and better option than the ruger? IMO, yes.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M92 goes with me wherever I go.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

So you carry a Yugo M92 in the Grocery store? Do you wear a puffy jacket in the summer?

How do you keep it from printing? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a USP of some flavor for every room of the house. Old police turn-in 40's used to be commonly available for around $400, and you'll never break it. Federal has a USP45 that's got around 400k on it by the time they sent it to HK for service. HK put some new springs in it and sent it back to them. "Within spec."

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

So you carry a Yugo M92 in the Grocery store? Do you wear a puffy jacket in the summer?

How do you keep it from printing? :popcorn:

BOB smartass.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:21 pm

I would use my Star Model B in 9mm parrabellum. It was made in 1945 and shot enough that I figure it will out last me. I carry it in a shoulder rig most of the time by just tossing on another light shirt on top of my T shirt. I have seven 8 round mags If I need more then that I am in deep shit indeed.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:43 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hartcreek wrote:
I would use my Star Model B in 9mm parrabellum. It was made in 1945 and shot enough that I figure it will out last me. I carry it in a shoulder rig most of the time by just tossing on another light shirt on top of my T shirt. I have seven 8 round mags If I need more then that I am in deep shit indeed.

I’ve got one of those that I bought new in box. Good shooter and reliable!

But when compared to modern pistols it’s outshined quickly. The star is a 8rd single stack vs a g17 at 17 rounds double stack. Assuming they tie in the reliability category the star has to be reloaded twice before the g17 runs out.

That’s a problem for me. The bar you set of “deep shit indeed” seems subjective based on the firearm. And I’d argue that given similar reliability, higher mag capacity of the g17 or similar modern pistol raises the bar.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The p85 is no longer in production. I'd take a glock due to that. Finding spare parts in the apocalypse will be a lot easier:)

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reliable and revolver ALWAYS belong in the same sentence.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next