Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Have wood will travel 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What will you do when the gas is to high priced? I have been working on this project for over six months converting my 1983 Toyota pickup with a small block Chevy V8 conversion into a alternative fuel truck. The title of the thread is the name of the book written by Wayne Keith from Springville Alabama, who started playing with woodgas some 20 years ago when his limit was reached when gasoline hit 1.80$/gallon. The book details the design and complete construction of the WK gassifier wich I have replicated in my truck. Many years ago I built this truck as a go fast look at me burn tires fun machine with the help of @recovery and his son Danny. Now with rising inflation and gas prices at crazy prices I have made it possible to once again affordably drive my little rat rod truck, now dubbed the Chevotafire. It runs purely on wood, with the gasoline carburetor as a backup. Over 200hrs of fabrication and still some more to do but this last Friday I brought it home from the shop and fired off the system for the first time. Very pleased to say it wasn't a pulling your leg on the internet result, it runs on WOODGAS! For those that don't know woodgas isn't a new thing it is WW2 technology when all the fuel was being shipped to the front lines for the war effort people in small villages had to find a way to power there cars and trucks to get around. The technology pretty much stalled out when the war ended and fuel came back, but has had a resurgence with people seeking more independence around the globe. The driveonwood.com forum is where all this can be seen, a true world over group of woodgassers I joined to ask all the dumb questions of a new guy getting into a new project that no one locally knows anything about or has done. At this time there are only 2 functional driving woodgas trucks in Washington state and I made number 3. In a world of uncertain times when the gas runs out or is unattainable due to cost, what would you do? My motorcycle gets great milage, but it can't haul much. This truck still has five feet of usable bed space and can haul a small trailer. Lots more bugs to work out and learning to drive it, but I view this as another preparation in place when shtf. A way to move about not requiring the infrastructure that seems to be crumbling around us. Thanks for reading here are a few short videos of the truck running on WOODGAS!
https://youtube.com/shorts/JDsz3jm2oI0?feature=share
https://youtu.be/hxTaanPJToA

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-42

Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are several of those trucks still out there running someone on the drive on wood forum posted a video of one recently still being driven

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is extraordinary.

I heard such things as kid and thought "no way", but later learned it to be real.

On the hobby list!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to get your feet wet and prove the theory to people lookup Garry Gilmore on YouTube, he has a system called the simple fire. Can make one from scraps in the garage in about an hour and power a small motor like a lawn mower or log splitter or even generator in a pinch grid down situation. On my system I implemented a auxiliary hookup point so I can power small engines while the truck is running on woodgas

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday was the first ever west coast woodgas meet up couple pictures of the three trucks there mine wasn't ready yet
White 460 automatic ford f250 owned by Mike Gibb of Kent, black 318 automatic dodge Dakota owned by Bob Mac of east Wenatchee, and the orange 318 automatic Dakota owned by Jakob North of Alabama and yes he drove it on wood power all the way from Alabama. He is currently attempting the longest woodgas road trip that we know of and will be over 9000 miles by the time he gets back home. And he is 17 years old and built the truck himself. His family owns several woodgas powered trucks and he and his dad built them all

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bobs truck in the back ground

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is jakobs truck at his first stop in Washington to meet a few people for lunch

Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE LIKE BUTTON?

:bow: :bow: :thumbsup2:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fascinating. Exceptionally cool.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norman89 wrote:
This is jakobs truck at his first stop in Washington to meet a few people for lunch

That is such a kick-ass thing to do at only 17 years old! Amazing!

Found his thread on driveonwood.com
http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/woodgas- ... n/5091/212

Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep that's the one the road thread he is updating on as he drives cross country along with all the stops for wood and visiting with other DOW members

Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's so cool

Awesome to see the group step up and support the effort. Looks like a great bunch of folks

Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And being so young I dig his EDC setup, letterman wave, 4" belt knife and short handle belt axe. Covers the bases pretty well I think haha. And definitely cool story to tell that he drove cross country on alternative fuel at age 17 in a truck he built himself. Very skilled for his age, even put a motor in the truck 3 days before he left on the trip and did a side of the freeway brake job before going up and over the great divide. Hell just seeing the great divide is on my bucket list and he has already done it. Very unique thing about the group is everyone has wood chunked up and dried for anyone that comes driving by to take as much as they need, free fuel us pretty stinking awesome!

Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Little test drive in the wood burner today

https://youtu.be/WAeufEdjsBQ

Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next