Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Worst case scenarios 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Worst Disaster scenario.

Most have thought about or been through a loss of power and somewhat no cell but how about both or MORE?

Having no access to wifi, no cell, no power - all at once? Life will become very difficult very fast!

Confounding the issues are many have converted to no cable so almost no TV and most don't have a traditional phone landline anymore.
But you still need power to get any TV signal even if it's not cable. Local phone landlines are typically flooded during these events and won't work.

What's your default plan? Do you even have one?

This is pending on your specific situation... Family, kids, neighbors and friends.

I have a hand crank radio but it's at home. I also have other radios to receive Weather and NOAA, etc.
Cars will need gas and without power won't be able to pump from most stations.
Banks (ATMs) won't work.
Lights at intersections won't work either - backing up even simple traffic locations.

The biggest problem is the initial ability to communicate with loved ones. Sending messages and checking on them until you can meet.

Communication -
See the topic if you want to get a Ham radio or other radios. I'm a simple man so Mesh Network for me. GoTenna is one. I'm sure there are many more now days.

If you have a phone landline
*One can consider using a long distance phone number as a means to reach and relay info.

Power - Generator or battery pack will get you by for the initial time. Invest in a good camping setup. You can use it for multiple applications (camping, tailgating, family outings).

Gas - hard to pump gas without power. It's nice to have a working car. Gives you options.
*Rotation of simple gas tanks can stretch and give you simple peace of mind. 3-4 gas tanks rotated for use over a simple rotation setup.

Money - It's great to have money in the bank but it won't matter if you can't get some out.
Does't mean to store all your money under the mattress. Small bills. Not the time to load up on large bills. You aren't fleeing the country. You are simply wanting to buy that candy bar.
Bartering is risky and most often will depend on who needs are greater. Means you'll literally pay an ounce of gold for that bottle of water.

Food - have a well stocked pantry. Again think camping. Then you have alternative cooking means.
Are you even armed? Many have brought up not being able to have a firearm at work and other locations.

This scenario is at the mercy of the situation, your specific needs if you have family and kids in school and when things happen.

Lastly having simple things in the car. Tennis shoes and extra clothes - kind of goes with what type of work you do. I mean if you wear a suit and tie to work. A gym bag helps too.

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well we already discussed my little setup :bigsmile: I have 2 backup generators one gas one propane, either can be powered by wood fuel as well. Backup solar system for powering the lights. Big fan of Coleman stoves and a few gallons of white gas on hand along with the small propane bottles and a few big bottles always full. I have 20 gallons of gasoline on hand at all times I treat it with stabil when I buy it and rotate it out every three months to be safe. Decent food storage but mostly frozen goods so will have to run generators to power the freezers. Looking into learning and doing a lot of canning very soon to mitigate that problem. Year round creek in the back yard for any water needs. Good friends with the neighbors and have a small group of guys I shoot with that are like minded shtf ready and a point to meet up for the big one and supplies there for all the family's enough to be comfortable for a month or 2. Got into fur trapping as a means to procure more meat along with being a proficient hunter. Plenty of ammo for rifles shotguns and pistols from self defense to bird loads. I don't think I am nearly as prepared as I should be but I feel pretty great when a guy I know said he has enough top ramen noodles and toilet paper to live for six months :ROFLMAO: recently got a baofeng radio and know nothing about comms but was told it was good to have

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We started preparing the minute we arrived here in AZ. We told our family why we are leaving and they would be smart to do the same.

This is no longer something that crazy or paranoid people do, it is what the smart people do....

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would lose my absolute ever loving mind if I cannot play Toon Blast…

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Norman, you can tune your Baofeng to 162.550 or 162.425 MHz, National Weather Service reports 24hrs a day. There's a use right there.

Check out TWs comms thread if you haven't already.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norman, I would make sure you have plenty of fresh drinking water filtration/treatment methods at your disposal. Does no good to have access to fresh water if it's not safe to drink.

Also, make sure you have a ton of medical supplies (gauze, bandages, TQs, OTC medicine, antibiotics if you can get them, topical creams, etc.), as those will become hard to get, or very expensive.

Finally, get familiar with your comms. That might be your most important tool behind your firearm.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have life straws for everyone in the family, a Berkeley filter sitting and waiting, many ways to boil water and we have several cases of bottled water as well. Each vehicle and the house have larger medical kits and I keep one on my plate carrier. I have not found any good way to stock up on antibiotics and haven't the slightest clue where to start looking for them. Wife is a trained nurse and is teaching me some things, embarrassing but I just learned cpr for kids teenagers and adults last week. I can do some stitching and control bleeding she is teaching me about turniquets and placement. The comms things is very intimidating, everywhere I look there is confliction information. I would like to find some sort of actual class on comms I could take

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:26 am

Life straws expire, Sawyer Mini and Sawyer Squeeze do not. Sawyer Mini is awesome.

Read through TWs thread. Very long now.....but full of good info and knowledge. I learned alot there.

If you've got a decent local network, neighbor kind of thing, you should all have handhelds. Being able to communicate without infrastructure locally is huge.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scuttlebutt is that there is a nitrogen fertilizer shortage currently which will compound the inflationary forces on food prices.

Better start raising rabbits; getcherseff som chikunz.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Word from Colorado folks;
Quote:
I don't know if anyone follows the ag markets but things are getting rough there too. While commodity prices are high right now, all the inputs are way up. Fuel as you all know is up alot (this time of year we burn roughly 600-1000 gallons a day.
Seed costs are way up. Fertilizer has doubled and in some cases tripled. There is rumblings from fert reps of nitrogen hitting $1 a pound in our near future. (To put in perspective it was $0.15 -$0.20 a pound a little over a year ago. Chemicals such as glyphosate is up as well.

Supply on everything is short. Seed, fertilizer and chemicals. Definitely will be shortages this coming year.

Parts like every other industry are hard to find. With several JD plants on strike still. Simple oem parts are getting scarce for certain things.

Quote:
Glyphosate doubled and distributors claiming orders put in last Jan still not filled. Now hearing pyrethroids will be very short.

Water will likely be a huge issue next season as well with La Nina forecast and storage depleted this year. This even with -+ 20% of ground held out locally this year. Interesting times...

Quote:
I worked this week at a subsidiary company distribution facility for the world's largest electrolytic capacitor manufacturer.

The struggle is real. Contact there said they have to pay out the ass to fly product and raw materials in. They're running 2 light crew shifts as opposed to 24x7 previsouly.

Ongoing fuel shortages will be a thing.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reliablerxpharmacy will ship antibiotics sans script.

Also ivermectin, budesonide, HCQ, etc.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]