Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Generator advice 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jrk15 wrote:
We used a Tesla pug in the garage to back feed the panel. We had an electrician install a generator pug in the Tesla box and a sliding plate over the main breaker and run a Westinghouse dual fuel 11,500 watt generator to power our 3,800 square foot house including the dryer or oven. Works great. Runs on gas and propane. And it has a remote start using a key fab. All in it cost less than $2,000.

What's a tesla plug / tesla box?

Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tesla will void warranty if you power your home with Tesla car.

https://electrek.co/2021/02/23/tesla-vo ... tery-pack/

But it seems pretty simple if you have an inverter and a Tesla.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldkim wrote:
Tesla will void warranty if you power your home with Tesla car.

https://electrek.co/2021/02/23/tesla-vo ... tery-pack/

But it seems pretty simple if you have an inverter and a Tesla.

He didn't say he was powering the home with the tesla. Tesla doesn't even support bidirectional power out of their HV port.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay.

But it appears it can be done if you have an inverter and are willing to void the warranty.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting thread.

I had to have the Fed. Pacific electrical panel replaced when I bought this place in January. Had a mechanical interlock and exterior 50A generator receptacle installed at the time.

The price to have a standby generator and transfer switch installed would have cost me about $20K. That would have included the need for a larger gas line brought to the house.

Debated quite a bit about which portable generator to get. I liked the features of the Westinghouse generators, but ultimately went with a DuroMax XP13000EH. The THD on the Westinghouse turned me off. I still plan to put all of my sensitive electronics behind Pure Sine Wave UPS.

https://smile.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP1300 ... 07G7GGFV6/

Just got delivered to the garage a few minutes ago, so we'll see how things go in the near future.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldkim wrote:
Okay.

But it appears it can be done if you have an inverter and are willing to void the warranty.

Any vehicle can using the 12v socket or direct connection to the vehicles 12v battery. Difference with Tesla is that the HV pack keeps the 12v charged, but it's not meant for that much of a continuous draw, which is why the warranty issue comes into play.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get it… a Tesla is a big battery. No kidding.
I don’t care since I don’t have a Tesla.

Just passing info along since Tesla came into play.

The article kind of goes into all that. And really is useless unless you have an inverter and know what to do. Lol

Although the article did say in the future Tesla and others may come out with ones that can. Anyways for those up on Tesla. Maybe an option in emergencies.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:38 pm

anyone have opinions about brands? Generac vs Cummins is where I am at. Any input is greatly appreciated

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a Generac GP7500 for a while. Worked well for running power tools on jobs that weren't hooked up to the grid yet

When running on the generator I'd switch the compressor over to 220 and put it in constant run mode to save some wear and tear on the motor

One thing I'd recommend, for any brand, is to check the valves and do a tune up right off the bat. The valves were too tight in the gen I had causing one of the cam journals to elongate

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 6500 wat generator that runs on propane or gas. I had a gas only generator that I threw out because it got so gunked up it was going to cost more than it was worth to fix. Propane is less efficient but it will never go bad. The only thing that I would worry about running is the fridge.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So generators are hand in hand something you will have to actively do some upkeep.

Fire it up and let it burn a good 15-30 or even a good hour - at least once a month. Depending on manufacturer and fuel type and age… may be weekly or semi annual.

If you let fuel sit. It will gum up the carburetor and it won’t work.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm

I’m learning a lot as I go. Most resources say that the Cummins generator is considered the best. The markup when you buy from an installer is ridiculous. I’ve also learned that I need to upgrade my gas meter. Also that I share a line with my neighbor so I need to get the gas company to give me a price on remedying that. I received one quote for a Honeywell generator with installation totaling $20,000. And that is prior to gettingThe meter in line fixed.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i just bought and had installed an 11kw generator that runs on gas or propane. i paid an electrician friend to wire it all up proper and whatnot. my question is if the carb gets clogged / gummed up whatever, but i have propane can i still run the generator on just the propane cylinders? i plan on doing the required upkeep and stuff but sometimes i forget / put it off, etc.

as for cost with the panel, install, generator, 50a cord to plug it in, etc it was just under $3,500 total. for the 1-2 days a year we MIGHT lose power. lmao. oh well.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best advice I am aware with dual is that you keep it on propane for the simplicity of ease and benefit of not worrying about fuel gumming up works.

If you need to switch because you are running out of propane etc. You power down. Take off a load and turn off, let cool a bit and then switch fuel type on generator and then turn on using the other fuel (gas/diesel). Whatever it’s design.

For storage best to go back onto propane and then do your sequence per your owners manual for storage.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a 100% sure but I think if the carb gets gunked you might be out of luck because the propane still runs through the carb.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next